PDA

View Full Version : Coral List for "non-reef safe" fish

sphelps
08-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Would like to work on generating a list of corals that do well with fish that are typically known as coral eaters. Obviously it varies by fish but those who have had experience or heard of others keeping certain corals with a variety of coral eating fish I'd love to here about what corals most fish tend to stay away from. In addition corals to avoid would be good to mention as well.

FishyFishy!
08-07-2012, 09:26 PM
In my fish only tank with a bunch of predators I still have the following that nobody touches (even my Red Coris Wrasse who plagued another members tank) - But I also know that everyone will have different opinions based on personal experiences with this one, but:

Blue Mushrooms
Kenya Trees
GSP's - I have seen my Passer Angel nip at them a couple times, but nothing compulsive)
Blasto's - I've heard different of these, but no one touches mine
Colt Coral
Blue Clove Polyps
Torch Corals
Frogspawn

All these things seem to work good my the FOWLR tank, but are also considered pests in reef aquariums becuase they replicate like crazy (with exception of the LPS). But thats good for a FOWLR.

FishyFishy!
08-07-2012, 09:32 PM
Bahahahahahahaha.... Just as I clicked post on my reply I walked over to the tank and one of my racoon butterfly's was picking away at the GSP's.... lol

lpsreefer
08-07-2012, 09:35 PM
To add to the list
Leather corals

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Most softies will be fine and with large Angels, sps are surprisingly resilient. It's mainly LPS that I find are irresistible to coral munchers.

I've seen some nice semi-FOWLRs with all sorts of mushrooms, colt, kenyan tree, leathers, and star polyps. You can try with some common zoas and palys to see if they chomp on them and if they don't then add the more colourful expensive varieties.

Any specific types of non-reef-safe fish you're interested in?

Some species are considered NON-reef-safe because they will eat all the inverts like hermit crabs, snails, crabs, and shrimp. Others are clam eaters or LPS (like brains) eaters.

Clown gobies, for instance, sometimes nip the polyps on sps corals, but leave everything else alone.

sphelps
08-07-2012, 09:48 PM
Personally looking mostly at butterflies and angels but would like to keep things general in terms of fish but at the same time keeping to coral eaters and not invert eaters.

I know soft corals and sps are generally pretty good choices but looking for more specific answers like FishyFishy's post. A brief idea on what kind of fish you're referring to and a specific list of corals that have done well, in addition any corals that have not done well is also encouraged.

Aquattro
08-07-2012, 09:52 PM
Really tough. I had a Queen Angel, didn't touch anything. I had a second Queen, it touched everything.

fishytime
08-07-2012, 10:40 PM
anything ugly (brown palys) and grows like a weed (xenia) generally doesnt get touched:mrgreen:

mseepman
08-07-2012, 10:51 PM
anything ugly (brown palys) and grows like a weed (xenia) generally doesnt get touched:mrgreen:

How true is that! Even the fish don't want to touch those!