PDA

View Full Version : Webcams

Enigma
08-07-2012, 02:56 PM
So, as my anxiety surrounding our upcoming vacation increases, I've ordered a webcam to keep an eye on my tank. I was on the fence about it last night, but when I double checked Dell's website this morning, it is $160 cheaper today! I'm glad I didn't order it last night. I've just ordered it now. Hopefully it gets here before I leave. Apparently it has an iOS app too. :)

This is the one I've purchased:
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Networking/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=A5095929&~ck=baynoteSearch&baynote_bnrank=8&baynote_irrank=0

The reviews indicated that the camera is quite serviceable . . . though the software is a pain.

Anyhoo . . . does anyone have any any experience and/or tips for installing this thing? Distance from tank? Distance/angle from windows? Reflection issues? It pans and tilts, so I'm hoping I can monitor the tank and sump with one camera. I'm not going to have much time to mess with it, though.

MarkoD
08-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Sorry to bring bad news but with that resolution it'll be hard to see any details that may indicate problems in your tank.

If you search megapixel ip cameras you'll find they have much better resolution and it'll give you the ability to digitally zoom

Snaz
08-07-2012, 04:38 PM
So, as my anxiety surrounding our upcoming vacation increases, I've ordered a webcam to keep an eye on my tank. I was on the fence about it last night, but when I double checked Dell's website this morning, it is $160 cheaper today! I'm glad I didn't order it last night. I've just ordered it now. Hopefully it gets here before I leave. Apparently it has an iOS app too. :)

This is the one I've purchased:
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Networking/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=A5095929&~ck=baynoteSearch&baynote_bnrank=8&baynote_irrank=0

The reviews indicated that the camera is quite serviceable . . . though the software is a pain.

Anyhoo . . . does anyone have any any experience and/or tips for installing this thing? Distance from tank? Distance/angle from windows? Reflection issues? It pans and tilts, so I'm hoping I can monitor the tank and sump with one camera. I'm not going to have much time to mess with it, though.
Probably the trickiest part will be configuring your home network to allow webcam to be viewable from outside your home. Hopefully the manufacturer makes this easy.

Enigma
08-07-2012, 04:43 PM
I'll be able to see everything I want to see just fine with it. Anything detail above that is icing.

I have no interest in a megapixel ip camera. We go through a colossal amount of bandwidth in our home, and I'm not buying more when all I'll really be using the camera for is to visually verify water levels and water clarity.

I've done my research, and made my choice. If you have any suggestions in regards to placement that would be great. That's the info I'm looking for.

Enigma
08-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Probably the trickiest part will be configuring your home network to allow webcam to be viewable from outside your home. Hopefully the manufacturer makes this easy.

We did get our Apex setup (after a few attempts) and I can access that outside the home. I'm hoping this won't be any worse than that was . . . that was a huge pain in the arse.

I have downloaded the iOS app for this, and I'm thinking the same hoops are going to be required for this: where I have network setups in the app (one for inside our home network, and one for outside). As long as we get the port right, we should be okay.

I hope.

Snaz
08-07-2012, 06:22 PM
We did get our Apex setup (after a few attempts) and I can access that outside the home. I'm hoping this won't be any worse than that was . . . that was a huge pain in the arse.

I have downloaded the iOS app for this, and I'm thinking the same hoops are going to be required for this: where I have network setups in the app (one for inside our home network, and one for outside). As long as we get the port right, we should be okay.

I hope.

It might be that the camera and apex will share a common port, usually 80 or 8080 so one will have to be different otherwise a conflict will occur. You can us any port number you like a few exceptions. This this link for a list of available and reserved network port numbers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers

scherzo
08-07-2012, 11:42 PM
I went away a few weeks ago and just used my old 640x480 Logitech webcam.

No pan and tilt... Just a fixed picture. I set it up pointing to one of my anemones where there is always alot of action. That way I could just watch the fish during feeding time (automated)

I also just used Skype and set it to auto answer. That way my webcam isn't always broadcasting.

As for glare issues, I don't know what your room setup is like so you'll have to try it once you get your camera. I didn't have any room lights on and minimal sunlight so I did not have any glare (plus my lights are on from 4pm-12am).

You'll just have to test your camera once you get it.

Lampshade
08-08-2012, 12:54 AM
I still use my logitec webcam with www.yawcam.com software. It's free, and works. I have live pictures on my fish tank's website, and a stream set up for when I need. The software will host it's own websites even, works great.

Also for glare, i took my webcam lengthways down my tank, with the camera close to the glass. This way the glare is on the front/back panes, which is nice, because then if i show someone at work my tank, i don't need to worry if my house is a mess :P.

The skype idea is very good as well, seems perfect for going on vacation.

Enigma
08-09-2012, 03:28 AM
Thanks for the suggestions!

The Skype thing is a great idea. We'll employ that for the sump.

The camera set up lengthways down the glass appears to be the way to go to beat glare. I'm not able to see the sump when I do that, though.

The bonus is that I can pan it to see the front door from that location, and then call up my #1 son and give him heck when he neglects to lock it. He's been mumbling something about "1984." ;)

I'm able to see the waterlevel in the display, and determine how clear the water is. I'm also able to see a lot of the activity, and whether or not corals are open. With the "night" feature, I'm able to make out everything I can when the lights are on . . . It's just darker.

The biggest source of glare actually seems to be the T5s, so the camera needs to be close enought to the tank that they don't come into view.

scherzo
08-09-2012, 06:39 AM
You could always use your apex to turn off the T5s or do whatever you like to be able to see the tank better.

Sometimes I would check my tank when only the T5s were on and I couldn't see very well so I just turned on my MHs for a few minutes with the Apex.

One thing I learned was to not change anything just before I left for vacation. Not even a water change, just in case I screwed something up and can't be around to fix it.