PDA

View Full Version : Carbon & GFO VS. NP Reducing Biopellets? Please, tell me your experiences

mandyplo
08-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Contemplating adding a dual Carbon & GFO reactor or NP reducing biopellets reactor from BRS to my system. I was told to try one out first and If I still see algae problems or yellow ish water or other unsatisfactory results then to add the second system.

My question is, which one should I try first? What might I have better luck with in a 55g coral mixed reef and fish tank? What are the benefits and disadvantages to both and what are your experiences with these systems and opinions on them?

Thanks in advance!

Megalodon
08-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Try carbon and GFO first. Maybe with some macro algae in a refuge like chaeto.

Actually, carbon does something entirely different, so use it anyway.

Lampshade
08-05-2012, 08:30 PM
+1 on carbon and GFO only.

I used biopellets (as well as my carbon/GFO) for a year with not too many tank problems, but I did notice that any time i had a "little" problem, like a hidden dead fish or snail, i would have lots of mulm buildup from pellets. This was followed by clogged hoses/pumps, followed by frustration and anger. I tried using Bio-Mate, adding more flow, buying new reactors, etc etc, then realized i'm doing this to all accommodate something that was supposed to make my tank easier to maintain. So i let them taper out, and now happily have the same low nutrients as I did when i had them on.