PDA

View Full Version : ember blenny

bowkry
08-04-2012, 04:19 AM
I just picked up one of these has anyone ever seen one?
http://www.aquariumdomain.com/viewSpeciesMarine.php?id=168

ScubaSteve
08-04-2012, 07:05 AM
I've been looking for one of those for a while. It's an uncommon coloration of a stigmata blenny, which themselves are harder to come across. Very cool fish.

dc4
08-04-2012, 07:36 AM
I was just looking at one online a few weeks ago, where did you get yours?

bowkry
08-04-2012, 01:35 PM
j n l's they call it a indian blenny, they have one they call a tribal blenny also. I only seen one of the ember blennies but they might have more. I have never seen one before and there is no info realy on the web about them.

NightShadeFairy
08-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Yikes! Reading this thread made me interested in one for my reef.. Apparently they are coral chompers! At least the bi-color and tribal blennies are.. Hope yours isn't!! Good luck :)

dc4
08-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Bicolor blennies being coral chompers? That's the first I've ever heard that before, mine grazes on algae and frozen but has never even looked at my corals... Where did you read that information? I guess if anything was hungry enough, any fish may try sampling sources of food but I've never heard of bicolors being nonreef safe.

Anyways, nice score on the ember, I was looking at one that was over $100, my guess is jl was selling it at a fraction of that price.
http://www.philyouraquarium.com/product/rare-vanuatu-ember-blenny-wysiwyg

bowkry
08-04-2012, 04:03 PM
i have all sorts of blennies in reef tanks and never ever had one eat coral, they will eat ornamental algae

ScubaSteve
08-04-2012, 04:17 PM
For more info, look for Stigmata Blenny or use its Latin name. Google shall be thy guide. Here's a bit of info: http://blog.aquanerd.com/2011/07/hot-little-ember-blenny-at-liveaquaria.html

You'll find a bit more info in a book rather than the net but they're more or less a bicolor blenny in behaviour.

ScubaSteve
08-07-2012, 03:31 AM
Picked up one of the "Indian" Blennies as well today. I think they're actually Cirripectes castaneus (Chestnut blenny (http://www.flickr.com/photos/f_i_s_h_e_y_e/3286026420/)) instead of the C. stigmaticus (Ember/Stigmata/Indian Blenny). Still a cool fish!

dc4
08-07-2012, 03:44 AM
That would explain the price, lol.

Im trying to catch the larger one I bought as it is terrorizing my hawkfish for some reason, not sure why its the only fish in my tank it goes after, other than the other blenny. Im hoping the smaller one will morph into a female soon...

bowkry
08-07-2012, 03:46 AM
I love his color, he eats algae like a lawnmower blenny, so hes cool looking and eats algae. My powder blue makes him hide a bit but that will change

ScubaSteve
08-07-2012, 03:48 AM
They are apparently just as uncommon as the Embers, though neither are rare. They're just not collected as often. LiveAquaria sells the Embers for the same prices as all the other combtooth blennies ($35).

fishytime
08-07-2012, 04:37 AM
i have all sorts of blennies in reef tanks and never ever had one eat coral, they will eat ornamental algae

you've never had a leopard blenny......their diet is sps polyps.....

embers are defiantly cool!

NightShadeFairy
08-08-2012, 09:02 AM
Bicolor blennies being coral chompers? That's the first I've ever heard that before, mine grazes on algae and frozen but has never even looked at my corals... Where did you read that information? I guess if anything was hungry enough, any fish may try sampling sources of food but I've never heard of bicolors being nonreef safe.

Anyways, nice score on the ember, I was looking at one that was over $100, my guess is jl was selling it at a fraction of that price.
http://www.philyouraquarium.com/product/rare-vanuatu-ember-blenny-wysiwyg

I just copied and pasted the type of blenny this thread started about, then googled it. I am not sure the site I found that info, but it was most likely one of the first to come up.
I am paranoid about getting the wrong fish for my reef, then not being able to catch it.. So I always look them up. If it was a fish I was seriously considering, I would look to several sources to be sure the info I am looking at is correct. I hope in this case it is misinformation:) Cheers!:)

Delphinus
08-08-2012, 08:31 PM
I've had terrible luck with ember blennies. Years ago I had what I thought was one who lived a couple years for me. I've tried 3 since then in the hopes of getting another but all 3 of them died within the first week and one didn't even make it 24 hours. I don't what's up with that but I'm reasonably confident it wasn't my acclimation technique so I've sort of given up on ever trying another. It's probably one of those cases where if you get one that lives it will be bulletproof but if it takes 5 fish to find that one that will make it then that sort of sucks..

Good luck, they are an awesomely beautiful fish. As far as blennies go they are one of my favourites. Although I'll likely never try another unless I find one for sale by a hobbyist shutting a tank down or something like that.

Proteus
08-09-2012, 12:46 AM
Yikes! Reading this thread made me interested in one for my reef.. Apparently they are coral chompers! At least the bi-color and tribal blennies are.. Hope yours isn't!! Good luck :)

Bicolor blennies being coral chompers? That's the first I've ever heard that before, mine grazes on algae and frozen but has never even looked at my corals... Where did you read that information? I guess if anything was hungry enough, any fish may try sampling sources of food but I've never heard of bicolors being nonreef safe.[/url]

you've never had a leopard blenny......their diet is sps!

I've had a bicolor for over a year and twice I've caught him munching lps. The first time he was eating a open brain then last week caught him nipping at lords.
Though I take it as a hungry fish as I really do try not to over feed

Myka
08-09-2012, 02:41 AM
Im hoping the smaller one will morph into a female soon...

Blennies aren't suspected to be able to change sex as far as I've seen published. Where do you find this info?

dc4
08-09-2012, 02:50 AM
Blennies aren't suspected to be able to change sex as far as I've seen published. Where do you find this info?

I was reading about them and found the info here:
http://blog.aquanerd.com/2011/07/hot-little-ember-blenny-at-liveaquaria.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Myka
08-09-2012, 07:26 PM
I was reading about them and found the info here:
http://blog.aquanerd.com/2011/07/hot-little-ember-blenny-at-liveaquaria.html

I don't know who that author is, but I'm quite sure he is mistaken. I know someone who had a breeding pair of Ember Blennies and he said they looked identical. I've never seen any visual differences in paired Blennies of any species. Blennies generally do not get along with eachother unless they are a pair. If your two fish do not get along it is pretty safe to assume they are both the same sex. I would not count on any sex changes.

Generally, you need to take any breeding/pairing information with a grain of salt as most reefers don't actually know too much about breeding and pairing marine fish. The author above says most reef fish change sex, and that is definitely not true. Some reef fish do, some don't. Of those fish that do change sex, many of them can only change at a very young age and they are usually past that stage when they are collected for the aquarium trade. For example, Dwarf Angelfish change sex, but only when about 1 to 1 1/2" long, after that their sex is fixed even if there is a shortage of the opposite sex in the breeding grounds they cannot change. Clownfish can change from male to female at any point in their lives, but once they before a female they can never go back to being a male. Fish like Anthias and Wrasse are the opposite of Clownfish - they start female and can change to male at any point.

George
08-09-2012, 09:00 PM
...For example, Dwarf Angelfish change sex, but only when about 1 to 1 1/2" long, after that their sex is fixed even if there is a shortage of the opposite sex in the breeding grounds they cannot change. Clownfish can change from male to female at any point in their lives, but once they before a female they can never go back to being a male...
Off topic but...
There are reports of angelfish in the Genicanthus genus can change from male to female. Of course you can argue that Genicanthus angels are not really dwarf angels. The reason this sex change is easily observed in Genicanthus angelfish is because male and female usually have different patterns and colors.
Also all clowns born with no sex (or with both sexes?) They will change to one or the other later on depending on the pecking order.

Myka
08-09-2012, 09:03 PM
^ I didn't mention anything about large Angels. ;) I didn't feel like listing every genus of fish out there...just a few common ones. :) Yes, you're right about the Clownfish, as I said, they can change from male to female at any point in their lives. There are a lot of different possibilities...reef fish are so different from one another, and we are just learning about their breeding habits.

dc4
08-12-2012, 02:09 AM
It finally stayed in one spot long enough for a pic.
http://img.tapatalk.com/1854b809-1212-6e24.jpg

dc4
08-13-2012, 07:14 AM
Anyone know what's happening to its mouth? It looks like it being ripped open. Nothing is picking on it, in fact it was the aggressor when it was first introduced but now it just sits there. Its bottom lip is hanging down and it looks red and slightly bloody. Did it just graze the rock too hard?
http://img.tapatalk.com/1854b809-aae9-2c90.jpg

bowkry
08-13-2012, 12:17 PM
I ca n not get A picture of mine but he doesnt have any green he is a splitting image of the picture I first posted with the red and black.

bowkry
08-30-2012, 03:59 AM
well now mine has eaten 2 clowns, a yellow wrasse I cant prove it but maybe a powder blue.
I seen it my self, I put in 2 new clowns then watched him slilther around the rocks and bang down goes $35.
Tomorrow out comes all my rock to catch the bastard. Any want a pretty fish

dc4
08-30-2012, 04:11 AM
It's big enough to eat a powder blue? Course I am missing my pair neon gobies now...

bowkry
08-30-2012, 04:24 AM
He didnt eat the blue but he was dead in the corner battered. Neon goby's I bet gone. Do you want another blenny?

dc4
08-30-2012, 04:28 AM
He didnt eat the blue but he was dead in the corner battered. Neon goby's I bet gone. Do you want another blenny?

Sounds like he needs to end up in a predator tank. :D

gregzz4
08-30-2012, 04:28 AM
well now mine has eaten 2 clowns, a yellow wrasse I cant prove it but maybe a powder blue.
I seen it my self, I put in 2 new clowns then watched him slilther around the rocks and bang down goes $35.
Tomorrow out comes all my rock to catch the bastard. Any want a pretty fish
Holy crap :surprise:
How big is this monster ?

I can't take him - he'd eat my baby clown, hector's and probably the baby starry too :smile:

bowkry
09-01-2012, 05:40 AM
he's about 5 in I ripped all my rock out and now he is in my sump back to the store he goes any one want him