PDA

View Full Version : name the fuzz on rock - with pic!

habs247
08-04-2012, 12:57 AM
Hi - diatoms showing up in sand bed for the past week. I'm ok with that!

What I am confused about our these hair like things all over my base rock. They appear to be brownish in colour.

Are they simply part of the cycling process or do I have some sort of infestation brewing here?

Thanks in advance!http://img.tapatalk.com/4b9eeb5a-7567-8c16.jpg

mandyplo
08-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Sorry, I don't know what this is but I have the exact same thing happening in my tank. Brown/green stuff growing on the sand, and brown hairy stuff forming on my rocks. It eventually got so bad that the brown hairy stuff started to form on my live rock, on my powerheads and every other piece of equipment in there.
I went to a saltwater specific fish store in the U.S last week and talked to a guy.
He told me that this was just part of the cycling process and since I was planning on adding an RO/DI system that should pretty well take care of it. What we also did was bought 20 snails, since we only had 1 lonely snail before. And we added a yellow eyed Kole Tang since they are apparently the most effective algae eating tangs out there. We also added a diamond Goby aka yellow spotted goby to keep the sand stirred up and stop algae from forming on it.

So far we have not added the RO/DI system yet, and by just adding the tang the goby and the 20 snails the algae is almost all gone off of our rock and sand. Still some on the glass but thats it. I do still plan on adding the RO/DI system but these critters have already made a tremendous difference in the algae.