PDA

View Full Version : Mod SWC 120 Cone to be Recirculating?

Enigma
08-03-2012, 05:34 PM
I have one of these:
http://www.saltwaterconnection.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=115

While I like the skimmer (it was good value and skims just fine), I've decided that it just doesn't work for me. I need the room it is taking up in my sump.

Would it be possible to mod my skimmer to be recirculating? I've found plenty of skimmer mods online, but not for a model that has the pump inside the skimmer itself.

My other alternatives are to purchase a recirculating skimmer, or build a bigger sump. I really don't want to do either of those right now.

lockrookie
08-03-2012, 06:37 PM
if you lean to purchase contact myka she has one forsale

sphelps
08-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Recirculating mod would be easy although probably not all that beneficial.

However if the goal here is to use this skimmer externally sealing it properly will probably not be that feasible. If this is the goal I'd suggest building a small tank with overflow that the skimmer just fits into, then pump water from the sump to this tank and allow it to overflow back to the sump. Effectively you've created a recirculating and external skimmer without actually modding the skimmer itself. This is something I can help you with if you'd like.

Enigma
08-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Myka's is too big for my system. I've read that skimmers don't function well if they're too large for the system. There is a smaller Euroreef RC (the 180) here in Calgary that is listed in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum for $300. That one would be a much better fit for my system (55 total gallons) if I opted to purchase one . . . I'd probably build a bigger sump before purchasing a new skimmer, though.

Enigma
08-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Recirculating mod would be easy although probably not all that beneficial.

However if the goal here is to use this skimmer externally sealing it properly will probably not be that feasible. If this is the goal I'd suggest building a small tank with overflow that the skimmer just fits into, then pump water from the sump to this tank and allow it to overflow back to the sump. Effectively you've created a recirculating and external skimmer without actually modding the skimmer itself. This is something I can help you with if you'd like.

Hmm. Not all that beneficial how? Would it not skim as well, or is flooding the potential issue? I am hoping to use it externally. The area that all of the equipment is squeezed into is very tight. But, you've certainly given me something to think about. Thank you for your offer to help, Steve. :) I'll let it rattle around in my brain for a bit and let you know if I decide to proceed with your idea.

sphelps
08-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Not overly beneficial in terms of the skimmer already being sized well for your size of tank. An RC mod would ideally improve efficiency with increased contact time but this extra efficiency is not something you'll likely notice nor is the skimmer really designed for it in the first place.

Sealing the skimmer for external use will present two major causes for concern IMO, one being proper access for pump maintenance and the other relating to leaks from a variety of areas including skimmer cup overflow. Mods also hurt resale if this is a concern at all. The separate tank idea IMO is the best solution besides the new purchase of a sump or skimmer.

Myka
08-03-2012, 07:57 PM
I believe you're looking to modify the skimmer to be an external skimmer, not a recirculating skimmer.

I would start by adding an o-ring to between the bottom plate and the skimmer body because it isn't a perfect seal. Then you just need to glue an input pipe to the pump input that sticks out the side of the skimmer and another pipe onto the output of the skimmer. Seal that hole around the pump input too (maybe a uniseal would work?).

As a side note, as someone suggested in another thread (very good idea) you could put an external skimmer into a small tub with a float switch so that if the skimmer overflows the float will cut power to the skimmer rather than pumping your sump dry (or causing the ATO to kick in and emptying your RO vessel).

Thanks to everyone for advertising for me. :D

lockrookie
08-03-2012, 10:16 PM
myka is right an external is what your looking for

Enigma
08-04-2012, 12:03 AM
Ah. I thought all recirculating skimmers we're external. Sorry for the confusion in the lingo, and what it was that I want to accomplish!

Myka
08-04-2012, 12:31 AM
I'm not sure that all recirculating skimmers are external, although I can't think of any recircs that aren't external. :lol: Recirc skimmers employ a second pump on the side of the skimmer body that essentially works like a closed loop.