PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to Reef....where to start?

Pisces
04-05-2004, 07:29 PM
For years I've had a FOWLR tank...I recently got a BTA and it seems pretty happy. I'm also picking up some metal Halides! :mrgreen:

I'd like to ease myself into corals.....but not sure where to start. Any advice, or recommendations? I want something relatively easy/hardy. I have to move my starfish in to the fuge in the sump though, not reef safe. :frown:

TIA,
Pisces

Also, my clowns haven't touched the BTA. I think it's because they've been without one for a while. Do I have to but a new one to 'teach' them to go into it? :question:
Thanks again!

marie
04-05-2004, 09:33 PM
Before you go out buying corals you should probably think about what you want the tank to look like in the future. If you like sps corals for instance its probably not a good idea to fill your tank with leather corals now just because they are one of the easiest corals to keep.So look at lots of pictures and decide if you like feathery soft corals waving in the current or stiff fuzzy sticks standing at attention. :biggrin:

Pisces
04-05-2004, 10:00 PM
Can't I have both? :neutral:

mr_alberta
04-05-2004, 10:51 PM
You may have difficulty having the SPS corals and lots of leathers in one tank as some leather corals put chemicals into the water as a type of defense that SPS type corals usually can't handle (i.e. you'll have poor/stunted growth or death).

I should also mention that even a small number of leathers can have adverse affects on SPS.

mr_alberta
04-05-2004, 10:55 PM
Also, my clowns haven't touched the BTA. I think it's because they've been without one for a while. Do I have to but a new one to 'teach' them to go into it? :question:

Clowns are funny. Sometimes they take right to the anenome, and sometimes they never take to the anenome. Just give it some time and they might start hosting in the BTA. Don't be surprised if they decide to host with a powerhead though :rolleyes:

marie
04-05-2004, 11:09 PM
You can have both, lots of people do. Its just that there are easy/hardy corals in both softies and stonies and it is easier if you decide at the begining which way you want to go.

Pisces
04-06-2004, 01:27 PM
They already have found a powerhead they like.....silly fish :rolleyes:

We'll, I guess I'll have to figure out what I want and go from there. I do know I want a variey of color!

Once I figure out which way I'm headed I guess I do another post for more recommendations of that 'group'.

Thanks for the responses! :biggrin:

Delphinus
04-06-2004, 03:56 PM
You can have both, lots of people do. Its just that there are easy/hardy corals in both softies and stonies and it is easier if you decide at the begining which way you want to go.

That's partly true.. There are two reasons to consider not mixing. One is that the conditions each type tend to like are somewhat incompatible, and it's easier on the hobbiest to focus on "getting it right" for just one or other other, rather than trying to find some middle ground. But another consideration is that allelopathy can, and does sometimes, come into play as well. SPS will not do as well as it can in the presence of several things, such as leathers, some other softeys, caulerpa ... Generally speaking the "mixed reef garden" that has a little bit of everything does have all kinds of things going on that we can't see, thus leading up to that some subset of the creatures within the habitat not doing as well as they "ought" to be doing. That's not to say it's "wrong" to mix things, like you say lots of people do it and they're nice tanks, but just be forewarned that there can be issues with this arrangement. Even in nature, leathers and other soft corals tend to inhabit their own reefs whereas the stoneys occupy others and they are definitely distinct zones (mostly because of the differing preferences for the various different conditions).

marie
04-07-2004, 01:23 AM
The reason my reply is only partly true is because of my limited typing and spelling skills. All my posts are short :smile:

Aquattro
04-07-2004, 01:26 AM
All my posts are short :smile:

Don't try to out type Tony, you'll only get sore fingers!!

Delphinus
04-07-2004, 02:58 AM
Sorry -- wasn't trying to be argumentative, just had a thought to share, and since those happen so infrequently, I just had to share it with EVERYone. :lol:

Pisces
04-07-2004, 02:15 PM
Well, I went and checked out some tanks last night :biggrin: , and I think I'm going to go primarily with softies! :mrgreen:

At least to start. There are a few stonies that I love, but I think this tank will be softies.

Now all I have to do is start collecting frags! Well, once I have my lights set up.

Anyone have any 'donations' they wish to make!? :mrgreen: :biggrin: :mrgreen: :cool:

Thanks!