PDA

View Full Version : 2.7 Gallon Pico

Beano1169
08-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Hey all I have just started a 2.7 gallon pico tank, 1.5 lbs of LR an Aquaclear 30 and the fluval spec lighting system is on it. It has been 2 days and I have noticed no ammonia or nitrite, the concern to me is the possiblity of low PH currently Im sitting at 7.8-8.0 using the API saltwater master, as well as a boom in Nitrate about 5-10ppm. In a tank this size should i be doing water changes daily weekly bi-daily?? how can I fix the nitrate issue?

thanks for your help
-Jayden:mrgreen:

Myka
08-01-2012, 09:13 PM
The more often you can do waterchanges the more stable the tank will be. Pick a schedule and stick to it, the worst thing you can do is be hit or miss on the schedule. Since you've only had it set up for 2 days I assume there are no fish or corals in there yet? If that's the case, do a 100% waterchange. Generally, there will be some nitrate show up at the beginning as the cycling of the tank will create an abundance of nitrate.

Snaz
08-02-2012, 01:24 AM
The most important "upgrade" for a Pico or nano is an ATO.

Beano1169
08-02-2012, 02:32 AM
any suggestions on where to get an ATo I have seen how to DIY Ato nano systems but im not sure about the quality verus ease situation

Snaz
08-02-2012, 02:57 AM
any suggestions on where to get an ATo I have seen how to DIY Ato nano systems but im not sure about the quality verus ease situation

Nano-reef.com has a great DIY forum which includes many styles of ATO. For a pico I would go with the simple and easy to build float switch/air-pump to pressurize a container of fresh water, like this one:
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29093&b=1&st=&p=&#entry

If you go with a battery powered system you don't have to worry about relays etc.

Snaz
08-03-2012, 07:30 AM
Actually this ATO looks better suited to your pico. No pumps or moving parts.
http://reefbuilders.com/2009/05/26/diy-tea-jar-auto-topoff/

Beano1169
08-03-2012, 04:48 PM
thanks I have already grabbed my battery pump i think fo the style of the tank the pump will work nicely. Ill have some pics up soon once i put things in there :mrgreen:

Beano1169
08-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Would anyone have any ideas on where I can get some royal blue LEDs to fit ontop of my pico? and suggestions on DYI?

Nano
08-03-2012, 06:02 PM
Modular led, he's in reddeer too so shipping would be peanuts. Plus you get a chocolate bar ;)

Beano1169
08-03-2012, 06:18 PM
thank you very much thats a huge help :biggrin:

mseepman
08-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Some threads on nano sites have recommended a replacement of the Spec light with this...http://www.amazon.com/LCL-60-Finnex-Daylight-Moonlight-Aquarium/dp/B0062PTNCS/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_2

Beano1169
08-03-2012, 07:43 PM
awesome thats perfect! Ill have to get one of those baddies next pay day thanks a bunch

Beano1169
08-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Hey my pico is on day 6 and is wicked clear, my nitraes seemed to have been stable now for two days at 0-5ppm, where as my nitrite has increased to almost 1-2ppm little worried but I guess thats the cycle ?? is there anything else can do to help the tank or just wait it out?

mrhasan
08-05-2012, 09:01 PM
You just have to wait till the nitrites clear out.

Snaz
08-05-2012, 09:15 PM
You just have to wait till the nitrites clear out.

+1

A lot of this hobby is waiting especially at the beginning. The only quick thing is failure, go slow and enjoy the life that should be emerging from your LR. Check again after lights out with a flashlight.

Beano1169
08-05-2012, 11:11 PM
I have another question for all you guys out there who have been helping me out, I was curious... Does anyone know what the light rating in lumens is for the fluval spec stock lighting system?

Beano1169
08-05-2012, 11:44 PM
that LCL-60 Finnex light doesnt ship to canada! well at least where i have found it it wont ship here, Im becoming frusterated! lol any ideas/help?

mseepman
08-06-2012, 02:12 AM
The ecopico light at modular led is supposed to be quite good as long as you add some of the side strips to it...and that is a Canreef vendor

Beano1169
08-06-2012, 02:58 AM
yes I have seen and heard good things but I dunno if I have the room to fit it because of the filter. its a wide base for that type of of lighting system. Any articles out there on modding the Fluval spec light for more royal blue and actinic lighting?

Snaz
08-06-2012, 03:52 AM
Any articles out there on modding the Fluval spec light for more royal blue and actinic lighting?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fluval+spec+mod#

Bugsy
08-07-2012, 03:39 AM
I have the Eco Pico Arm and yes it is wider than the tank if you put it on the back. I have mind on the side (ends) of the tank and is just perfect. It hits the whole tank that way.

I also ordered the extra two strips for a total of 3 is all you can fit on this arm. So far love the light alot.

If you do get it make sure when you are connecting the three lights into the main extension you give them a good push to hear the click otherwise you will not get full power on the lights like I did (stupid me...:lol:)

Beano1169
08-07-2012, 05:57 AM
with the ecopico led lighting system I can house 4 strips or only 3? and Also is it required to buy additional power sources per led strip or do i just plug them into the fixture and then the one power source?

Bugsy
08-07-2012, 10:58 PM
The fixture has room for 3 strips. It comes with one and then I bought the other two extra. They stick on the fixture there is an area for them on there. Yes you need to get the right power cord as well for it all this can be ordered from Modular LED on the canreef site. Martin is really good to deal with just tell him what you want and he will tell you what you need to order for it and the total cost.

He is really good at replying back through email too.

Go to their site and take a look at what they all have there. I was going to go with a stunner strip but glad I did not and went with this instead. Somuch nicer that is mounted up and out of the way on the tank.

I think it puts out perfect light for this size of tank too.

Beano1169
08-08-2012, 06:52 AM
Thank you very much I think I will email him in the ear future :)
An up date on my tank and it's water parameters

Im sitting scary with nitrite(5ppm) and nitrate (40-160ppm(if Im reading it right?)) at the moment with a little of ammonia showing (<0.25 ppm). ph is 8.0-8.2 and dKH is perfect 10-12, calcium is good 420-440 mg/l (ca2) so I think I am just going through wave one of my cycle since i stopped doseing with instant ocean bio spirla. Is this why my levels are crazy, plus I did do a 25% water change yesterday.

Portuguesenrg
08-09-2012, 01:37 AM
Hey good luck with the tank nice to see another pico , i my self have a beta tank i turned salty its less then a gallon . There really fun to have but just watch the top offs

Portuguesenrg
08-09-2012, 01:41 AM
Ps if you need amy equitment pm me i have a hole
Bunch of small stuff for nanos

Beano1169
08-09-2012, 06:00 AM
Thanks very much :) thats a load of help Im testing water in the am tomorrow to see where I stand after day 10 and 2 days after my first 25% h2o change :P

Beano1169
08-10-2012, 06:13 AM
Good news my refractometer came in the mail, bad news coralife is a liar and my sg is off (1.026) not bad but the kicker is the premixed water I bought (nutri-seawater by natures ocean) sits at 1.030 sg!!!!! holy crumbs! I wish the placed it on the label, thank goodness for my over zealous FWTO's lol :mrgreen:

As for awesome meet the two newest members of my little pico

Fred and Barney the turbos!

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r613/Beano1169/5e0b05f8.jpg

and this is night time (other than my flash) for the pico itself! seen here first lawls!

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r613/Beano1169/ab5965c3.jpg

mrhasan
08-10-2012, 06:44 PM
I think two turbos for a pico is just too many. Even one turbo might starve. Turbos are voracious eater and I think you might want to move to something slower and less voracious.

Beano1169
08-10-2012, 08:29 PM
dont worry they are there to make sure that the tank is satble enough for when my sexy shrimp and crabs come :) they will be going back to there owner on wednesday thanks for the heads up though Im just excited that they survived and that I did everything right

Beano1169
08-12-2012, 01:52 PM
worst kinda news, went to big als got a maxi-mini carpet anenome, landed him well he was good for most of the day then this morning I find he has been nsucked up into my filter and died :( first lost in the tank and he was barely in there for 18 hours. any suggestions on how/why he decided to roam into my filter :( ???

Snaz
08-12-2012, 04:15 PM
worst kinda news, went to big als got a maxi-mini carpet anenome, landed him well he was good for most of the day then this morning I find he has been nsucked up into my filter and died :( first lost in the tank and he was barely in there for 18 hours. any suggestions on how/why he decided to roam into my filter :( ???

Google around. There are hundreds of stories of anemone being sucked into power heads and filters. It is advised to put some screening or other protection around PH until they settle... even then they could release at anytime and decide to go for a float.

Beano1169
08-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Ya I think roaming and got suckrd up. I guess ill have to make a guard up for the filers intake out of a pill bottle. Much like a snail guard for floats

Snaz
08-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Ya I think roaming and got suckrd up. I guess ill have to make a guard up for the filers intake out of a pill bottle. Much like a snail guard for floats
The ones I saw at J and L were simple foam pieces tied around the intake with elastic bands.

Beano1169
08-13-2012, 12:04 AM
Yah there is a filter pad made for my ac 30 but I dont know how I feel about it collecting so much garbage and sand particulate It will flux my flow in the tank. Perhaps I have too much flow for maxi-mini carpet anemones, my tank cycles 10 times an hour, avg about 265 gph... is this too much?

Bugsy
08-13-2012, 03:58 AM
Take a aqua clear mini sponge, take the scissors and nip down the center of it just enough to slip it over the intake. Make sure the foam is length wise up so it covers the whole intake. Been using this for several things in my tanks for years works like a charm and has no effect on the flow or working of the filter at all.

Just take off and rinse once in a while. Very easy to do.

Beano1169
08-13-2012, 04:54 AM
That's good to know. I had an extra down stem sitting around so I modded it and am going to test it out. On wednesday :) but thanks foe the idea on the mini foam. :)

Beano1169
08-14-2012, 05:10 AM
So after my maxi-mini mis hap (r.i.p. Carl) My tank has since been rescaped filter cleaned out and bits moved around for more room. but I noticed my tongs though claiming stainless steelness have started to rust? if put into the tank will it kill my inverts?

mrhasan
08-14-2012, 08:35 AM
I guess you didn't clean your tong with freshwater after using it in your tank :P

Beano1169
08-14-2012, 03:13 PM
derp derp derp!!! i rinsed in tap but I guess not well enough! grrr so are these tongs done for now :(

mrhasan
08-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Mine also caught rust. You can use sand paper or something rough to clean the rust.

Beano1169
08-16-2012, 12:04 AM
well I tried sanding it! didnt work so I am too scared to put them in the water. hahaha but never fear live stock came in yay!! a pom pom without his pompoms :( I hope he wont starve ?? any suggestions or comments? I also got some small RBTA attached to a piece of kenya tree, I have no frag poxy so I am not sure how I will root it, again comments and suggestions?

but the sexy shrimp are doing well :)and so is the hermit!

mrhasan
08-16-2012, 04:58 AM
I have read somewhere that poppoms can survive with the nems. They will just use their feet to search for food. Btw you did not PM me the price that you got the pompoms for :P I will get one or maybe more depending on the price tag. And from where did you get it?

Beano1169
08-16-2012, 05:03 AM
Hahahah sorry about that they cost me around 15 $ with my discount so I may be able to get one for you abour 17-20$ :) and my tank is doing perfect checking the levels tomorrow to see where I stand as well as feeding them tomorrow too.. will blood worms work? or do i Need mysis shrimp and brine?

mrhasan
08-16-2012, 05:05 AM
That sounds reasonable :D I will give you a knock once I come back to Calgary on 30th.

I am not sure what you should feed them but as far as I remember, they would practically eat anything. Maybe using the power of google will hatch some more info :D

mseepman
08-16-2012, 03:13 PM
My Pompom lost his nems within the first few months I put him in the tank...he then picked up two small mushrooms and has been doing fine with them since.

Beano1169
08-16-2012, 11:14 PM
thats good to know, at the moment I dont have anything small enough for him to grab :( I sure hope he will be alright. perhaps on pay day Ill have to look into getting some small hairymushrooms or something fun

Beano1169
08-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Day 17 and the tank is still going strong! ha all the shrimps are doing well the pom pom is good the RTBA is perfect and the hermit is well fed! pics posted soon!

I do have one question about how to stablize temp swing and if 81-82 degrees Ferinheit is too high to keep fish and inverts and corals?

Beano1169
08-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Day 23 and all is well temp as come down since we are getting colder in Calgary! Parametes are all perfect! diatoms are starting in abundence! one question has come across my mind though, I modded my Ac 30 into a makeshift fuge not glued or anything. I got some strange plant for the back of it and found out that it was feather caulerpa. Should I continue to use this for my fuge or should I get soemthing less invasive, from what I have been reading is that it can take over your tank quite fast ? any ideas?

mseepman
08-23-2012, 04:03 PM
Get Cheato....avoid Caulerpa.

mrhasan
08-23-2012, 04:08 PM
I think Caulerpa for a 2.5g would be a very bad idea since it can easily take over the aquarium or kill the system if it becomes angry. Cheato would be the best option.

Beano1169
08-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Thanks! Ill make sure to dump it asap

mrhasan
08-23-2012, 04:15 PM
NO NO NO! Don't just dump it. Leave it outside your house in sun for a day or two for it to dry out and die and then wrap it up in a tight bag or something and then dump it.

Beano1169
08-23-2012, 04:19 PM
hahaha well I was just gonna leave it in the alley way in the sun lol But come to mention it I did read up on the feather caulerpa and I guess it can live in cold water as well so Ill make sure to discard of it properly

mrhasan
08-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Phew you just saved Calgary from a caulerpa infestation :P Jk :mrgreen:

Beano1169
08-24-2012, 02:05 PM
hahah funny guy :P
I was curious should I even be using macro in my tank
Cause I have heard that possibly all I need is carbon and gfo and filter floss. I would like to run macro so I can have a base for my bigger start up but if it would be better not too I can always get some chemi pure some purigen and filter floss. any suggestions?

mrhasan
08-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Well I don't think GFO and filter floss would be much of use for such a small system. Carbon would be an important thing since softies like to do funny things in the water and carbon is really helpful to suck those out.

For my 20 gallon, I use a HOB skimmer, 2 aqueon 20 filters (one filled with LR rubbles + carbon + phospad and the other one has two chemi-pure elite and I will be adding purigen at the end of this month) and till now, I have not done any WC for the last two months other than top-off and dilution of salinity. On 8th, when I left the country for vacation, my nitrate was undetectable (was running for more than a month) and hopefully after coming back to Calgary, I am expecting to see very small (maybe 5ppm) or undetectable nitrate. If undetectable, they I will consider my filtration to be perfect for my tank :D

Beano1169
08-24-2012, 02:47 PM
cool cool, thats good to know. Yah I just have purigen in there LR and that feather crap. So if I take the algae out you dont think my Nitrites and nitrates will spike do you. I am only concerned because I am getting some frags today and I dont want the system to have any issues, cause so far everything is perfect
NH4- 0
No2 - 0
No3 - 0
Ph - 8-8.2 (little low but meh)

mrhasan
08-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Hard to say. Maybe a more experienced member can answer this (I am newby but I did my homework well that's all :D). Get a thread open. That way, you should be able to get your answer.

About the pH, I think mine is even low (prolly close to 7.9 or something) so I have ordered a digital meter for $10 from ebay and should be getting it soon. Better to get accurate reading for pH since the decimal values matter :P

Beano1169
08-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Hard to say. Maybe a more experienced member can answer this (I am newby but I did my homework well that's all :D). Get a thread open. That way, you should be able to get your answer.

About the pH, I think mine is even low (prolly close to 7.9 or something) so I have ordered a digital meter for $10 from ebay and should be getting it soon. Better to get accurate reading for pH since the decimal values matter :P

haha this is very true! I may have to look into that as well dont want my tank to get all goofy on me :P

Beano1169
08-24-2012, 06:58 PM
The tank has new lights and new frags!!!!! sweet dealio!
heres what she looks like now
So stoked on the lighting system its a freaking blast!

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r613/Beano1169/6a21a752.jpg

Beano1169
08-29-2012, 03:27 PM
As you know my tank has been going for about a month now, perfect parameters, brilliant salinity, temp swings are down a bit :) my only concern is; I bought a feather duster the other day and placed it inside the tank, when I did so My green star poylps closed up, they have been closed for about 2-3 days now and am a little worried considering before the featherduster intro they were fine! any ideas?

reefwars
08-29-2012, 03:34 PM
As you know my tank has been going for about a month now, perfect parameters, brilliant salinity, temp swings are down a bit :) my only concern is; I bought a feather duster the other day and placed it inside the tank, when I did so My green star poylps closed up, they have been closed for about 2-3 days now and am a little worried considering before the featherduster intro they were fine! any ideas?

gsp does that from time to time, the feather duster would have no affect on the star polyps, i would be happy personally if my green star polyps died in a tank that small;)

Beano1169
08-29-2012, 07:59 PM
hahah well thats good to know, the GSp will be going into the 18 Gallon eventually :)