PDA

View Full Version : Auto Top Off advice please

gridley
08-01-2012, 02:27 AM
We are working on our first tank and have just set up our ATO. We bought an ELOS system. In our test run, the pump worked fine, shut off and then the water continued to siphon from the ATO tank through the tube and into the sump. If I understand the dynamics of water, I would have to have the discharge of the tube above the water level in the ATO.

Is that correct?

That being the case, I would have to have the discharge from the tube quite high which would, I think, result in considerable splash. How do others get around this situation?

Thanks

Mandosh
08-01-2012, 02:33 AM
Run the output into a larger diameter tube.

gregzz4
08-01-2012, 03:15 AM
Exactly what I did, with the larger hose under water

gridley
08-01-2012, 04:06 AM
So, I just cut the line anywhere, put in an adaptor, run the large line into the sump? That simple?
Thanks!

gregzz4
08-01-2012, 04:27 AM
No adapter required
I didn't cut my hose, just left it coiled in case I ever move it, or whatever

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx136/Gregzz4/75%20Gallon%20Build/DSC01313.jpg

whatcaneyedo
08-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Use a shallower fresh water holding tank or don't fill the one you have up as high. Or direct your ATO up into your display tank, perhaps into the overflow area.

dave_C
08-01-2012, 02:42 PM
We are working on our first tank and have just set up our ATO. We bought an ELOS system. In our test run, the pump worked fine, shut off and then the water continued to siphon from the ATO tank through the tube and into the sump. If I understand the dynamics of water, I would have to have the discharge of the tube above the water level in the ATO.

Is that correct?

That being the case, I would have to have the discharge from the tube quite high which would, I think, result in considerable splash. How do others get around this situation?

Thanks

You can also cut a little hole in the hose near the top of your holding tank

this will give you a siphon break

Thanks Dave

gridley
08-01-2012, 03:59 PM
You can also cut a little hole in the hose near the top of your holding tank

this will give you a siphon break

Thanks Dave

When you say "cut a little hole" - how small of a hole would this be?

Seriak
08-01-2012, 04:03 PM
It can be very small as it only needs to let a little air in. Make sure it doesn't get clogged with anything though. I just ran my ATO up to my overflow. It works great.

Spyd
08-01-2012, 04:14 PM
It can be very small as it only needs to let a little air in. Make sure it doesn't get clogged with anything though. I just ran my ATO up to my overflow. It works great.

I agree. This is an easy fix. Just a small hole at the top of the holding tank will allow air into the tube and stop the syphon.

Leon71
08-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Have a good look at the picture above. It doesn't get any easier than that. Why take the time to drill a tiny hole in 1/4" tubing and risk the possibility of it plugging and then you are back to square one.

Just my 2 cents. Leon

gridley
08-02-2012, 11:35 PM
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and ideas. Because I had already run the line I decided that the simplist solution was to drill a small hole in the line as a siphon break. This seems to have worked perfetly - total time involved was less than a minute. Thanks Dave for the advice.

gregzz4
08-03-2012, 03:36 AM
I hope it works out