PDA

View Full Version : silicon question.

ElGuappo
07-31-2012, 08:24 PM
so i cracked the end pane on a sump while moving it.. i have the new piece of glass cut and in hand. i just need some peep with a little experience to offer some words of wisdom.. my understanding is the two most important things are make sure all old silicon is removed. and two get as much silicon in between the glass as possible.

any other tips would be helpful. thanks in advance.

Sent from my galaxy S2 using tapatalk

Reef Puffer
07-31-2012, 08:43 PM
clean with acetone! lots of silicone and let dry like 48 hours before you remove the tape! do not attempt to move during curing time. any movement in the glass after 10 mins but before its fully cured can cause huge problems. good luck!!

ElGuappo
07-31-2012, 09:08 PM
thanks i have heard that.

can i get acetone at totem or revy ?

Sent from my galaxy S2 using tapatalk

Reef Puffer
07-31-2012, 11:16 PM
ya revy cantire or any hardware store.

The Grizz
07-31-2012, 11:17 PM
If you can't find acetone, which you should at Rona or Totem use a product called Goof Off & a sharp razor blade to remove old silicone. You need a min of 1/6" of silicone to reseal proper, to much silicone will cause a weak point as well as it will flex to much causing it to fail.

StirCrazy
08-01-2012, 02:00 PM
You need a min of 1/6" of silicone to reseal proper, to much silicone will cause a weak point as well as it will flex to much causing it to fail.

min or Max? I don't thing I have ever seen a 1/16" gap in a normal sized gap. My 20 had smaller than 1/32, my 90 was about the same. could not get a knife blade in my 32 or 24 when I replaced glass and they were only 1/32 thick.

look how the tank is built and when replacing the glass make it the same as how it is. can't go wrong.

Steve

The Grizz
08-01-2012, 03:07 PM
I know small gal tanks have a smaller gap due to less outward pressure and larger tanks are a max of 1/16" but I just use the general rule of 1/16" for anything I build as it make cutting the glass easier to measure out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk