PDA

View Full Version : How much and how often do you feed your Eels?

FishyFishy!
07-31-2012, 04:24 PM
I have a 15" Snowflake Eel. I feel like he would never stop eating if I didn't stop giving it to him. At the moment, I feed every two-three days with frozen mixed seafood (muscles, calamari rings, squid, octopus tentacles, shrimp etc etc). Lately I feel like he eats more and more. When I first got him, he would eat about one full 3" calamri ring broken into 4 equal pieces, then goes back in his rock. Now he is still hanging around the top of the tank wanting more. So I have added one other piece of seafood during the feedings. But he still seems hungry.

How often and how much do you feed?

monocus
07-31-2012, 04:44 PM
i have a 2+ foot snowflake and a 3+foot zebra.i usually feed them every day(sometimes they won't eat that day-then my trigger,parrotfish,bat fish,harliquin tusk get a bit of a bigger meal).on a normal feeding either 4 prawns,a mix of scallops,clams,squid,fresh shrimp,and a prawn,or 2 king crab legs(depends on the day-i mix up their diet)and yes my fish eat better than i do

FishyFishy!
07-31-2012, 04:46 PM
Holy crow! King crab legs!!!???? Man those are some spoiled eels!

I think it might be time to do feedings every 2 days.

badfish!
07-31-2012, 05:48 PM
I have 2 snowflakes, I feed every 2-3 days (depending if they are looking for food). I feed silversides (sometimes muscles or krill if they'll take it, but mostly silversides) I use the hikari silversides (they're bigger, about 3") and my smaller eel will eat 1 or 2 and my bigger eel eats 2 or 3.

monocus
07-31-2012, 09:41 PM
i wait till the king crab goes on sale at safeway.i tried dungonas? crab but i found it breaks apart and makes a mess

Midway
07-31-2012, 09:52 PM
I used to have two snowflake but only one now cause the other one jumped out to his death. This one is like 6" and his is getting bigger and bigger. I give him squid, shrimps, krill. I feed him every 2 to 3 days.

whatcaneyedo
07-31-2012, 10:53 PM
I've had my snowflake for 8 years. Every second day I feed it at least 10 krill or around 5 silversides depending on their size. I usually keep feeding until it begins to settle down. At first the eel will take the food very aggressively but once it begins to get a bit full it will slow down and bite the food more lazily. On the days when I don't feed it usually doesn't even come out of the rocks. I've offered squid before but it usually spits it out. However once or twice a month it will eat a couple raw clams or mussels.