PDA

View Full Version : anyone use these bulbs?

fishdaddy3
04-05-2004, 04:46 AM
Wondering if anybody has used these bulbs. there is a review on it in the following link where someone said they used 2 over their tanks. Any of the Canreef bruthas/sistas use them?

here is a link
http://www.betterthannature.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=6_20&products_id=610[url]

reefhawk
04-05-2004, 07:51 AM
had a guy at a hydroponic shop assure me they were great for reef and fish tanks but this was the same guy that told me that regular metal halide grow lights would be good too so i passed. Would be very interesting to see what your research discovers.

Bob I
04-05-2004, 04:21 PM
I don't know if I would trust someone who can't even spell fluorescent on his site. :confused:
But that aside, Ross here in Calgary uses those bulbs on his tank, and likes them fine. He uses them in combination with similar bulbs of 6500K. :biggrin:

AJ_77
04-05-2004, 04:40 PM
Their "Spectral Distrbution" graph on the site doesn't look to match the expected output of a 25K bulb. You want to be spiking more in the blue range... for a "blue" bulb.

Maybe they posted their daylight bulb specs by mistake. A mix of the 2 might give you decent results, as BobI mentions. I've got nothing against PC lighting, as long as your tank isn't too deep.

You haven't said what size/type of tank you're running, and what you want to keep in it. If it's a medium or low-light sort of setup you might be fine with these - if you can fit enough of them over your tank, with good reflectors to make the most of them.

Vagabond
04-06-2004, 03:58 AM
I was just at Quick Grow hydroponics store over the weekend and they showed me these bulbs. They carry both a daylight and a very blue bulb. I did not get an opportunity to see the graphed spectral dist. of the two bulbs but they sure pushed out alot of light. Try e-mailing them at info@quickgrow.com or call them 1-877-426-4769 for more info.

BTW he had them on sale for $99.00.

I hope this helps