PDA

View Full Version : One Spot Foxface in a Reef ?

gregzz4
07-30-2012, 11:10 PM
Do you have one ?
Reading the web is different than personal experiences and I'd like some input from owners
Our tank is becoming a mix of softies, LPS and SPS
I don't plan on overfeeding the tank, so I suspect I'll have a coral eater on my hands, but ...

What's your's like ?

Madreefer
07-30-2012, 11:32 PM
Have had a Magnificient Foxface a few years now and never had an issue with him at all. Only thing i've seen him eat as in corals is that clear kind of slime that SPS lets off when disturbed like when I take the coral out of the water for some reason.

carnut
07-30-2012, 11:54 PM
I have a foxface and a magnificent in my reef and the wife has a one spot foxface in hers. None has ever caused any problems, just watch your hands around them when you clean the tank.

carnut
07-31-2012, 12:00 AM
sorry double post

rastaangel
07-31-2012, 12:12 AM
I had one in my reef for a long time. He was a odd one tho... He ate my nuclear greens and thats it. Musta thought they were mint flavored

marie
07-31-2012, 12:26 AM
My foxface loved zoas, the more colourful the better.....he hated the brown palys though :lol:

gregzz4
07-31-2012, 12:27 AM
This is great news so far
Thanks all

I'm sure there are many more answers to come

MarkoD
07-31-2012, 01:17 AM
I had a big one and all it ate was hair algae and pellets

emerald crab
07-31-2012, 02:06 AM
Mine eats mysis, brine shrimp, nori etc. However it doesn't touch any corals. My tank is sps, no lps, no softies.

fishoholic
07-31-2012, 03:54 AM
My foxface loved zoas, the more colourful the better.....he hated the brown palys though :lol:

Ditto at least with the first foxface I owned, ate every zoa but brown pally's....funny how that works. The one I have now so far hasn't touched any coral.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-31-2012, 04:45 AM
All rabbitfish grow fast and big. They are a food fish species. For a 75g display, I wouldn't recommend it. It says 7" on some sites, but every rabbitfish I've known has grown very quickly. Mine outgrew my tank in about 6 months but it was not a foxface.

gregzz4
07-31-2012, 07:42 AM
... For a 75g display, I wouldn't recommend it. It says 7" on some sites, but every rabbitfish I've known has grown very quickly. Mine outgrew my tank in about 6 months but it was not a foxface...
Well, I bought one anyway :wink:
Max size for this dude is supposed to be under 8"
It's a better choice for me to keep the wifey happy with this, rather than a longnose hawkfish :smile:
When this 3-1/2" dude gets too big for our DT, I'll put him up on the site
I know, I never wanted to be one of the peeps that re-sell fish that outgrow their tanks, but he'll be a good bud for a tang in the meantime ... unless the wife finds something else for him to play with :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your input everyone :biggrin:

MMAX
07-31-2012, 12:47 PM
My one spot couldn't be a better reef inhabitant. Doesen't touch anything he shouldn't in my mixed and when my arm is in my tank scraping algae he's right there waiting for it. I imagine I could probably even hand feed him.

FishyFishy!
07-31-2012, 12:55 PM
Yeah same here, all the foxface and rabbitfish I have had haven't touched any corals. Just give it a try and see what happens. I'm sure there are lots of people on here that would give him a good home if he did start munchin on coral.

Slick Fork
07-31-2012, 03:51 PM
I think you'll be really happy. I loved mine when I had a larger tank. Fantastic personality, munched on algae and was a great reef citizen.

gregzz4
08-01-2012, 04:32 AM
Well, we love him already. What a great fish
Thanks again for all the great input

He's eating pellets and mysis and tomorrow I'll try some seaweed / algae sheets
I feel bad about him pacing the 20g QT, but, ce la vie