PDA

View Full Version : Going rate for mated pair of Perculas?

Justin.S.Floyd
07-30-2012, 10:13 PM
I was just wondering how much a mated pair of Percula Clowns is on average.
I am contemplating selling mine but am not entirely sure what to ask for them.

Thanks for your time.

gobytron
07-30-2012, 10:14 PM
being mated really makes no difference.
clownfish will almost always "mate" as its just in their biochemistry.

Usually if you're asking 30% less than retail you'll get some interest in livestock.

Justin.S.Floyd
07-30-2012, 10:18 PM
Fair enough, thank you. It makes sense, but I have seen a number of adds asking for mated pairs in the past so I assumed it was at least a reasonable question to ask.

gobytron
07-30-2012, 10:38 PM
IMO, there are no unreasonable questions in this hobby.

It's still good to know if a pair is mated, it can mean a big difference in potential aggression amongst other factors.

Madreefer
07-30-2012, 11:27 PM
LFS in my town $299 comes with condylactis anemone. Been there for months now.I dont understand why they have'nt sold yet bahahaha

TaioneReefer
08-02-2012, 01:36 PM

Myka
08-02-2012, 03:19 PM
It depends if you're selling to a hobbyist or a breeder. If you have pictures of the spawns, and they are a good breeding pair then fair market value to a breeder is about $150 for True Percula clownfish. False Percs (Ocellaris) are easier to get breeding, and will breed at a younger age, so they are worth less...about $100 to a breeder. Of course, you need to be able to show in photos and documentation that they are a good pair. Many people would not pay these prices unless you had raised a batch of fry (the true meaning of "proven pair").

To a hobbyist the fish are worth significantly less. A breeding pair of True Percs to a hobbyist would only fetch $60-100 depending on your location, and Ocellaris only $40-60. You can usually ask "full retail" for a breeding pair to hobbyists, where a non-breeding pair would fetch about 50-60% of retail pricing.