PDA

View Full Version : conch??

knickle22
07-30-2012, 04:32 PM
I have a dsb and currently have a few nassarius snail (only like 5 small ones). They are doing an alright job at keeping some areas clean but i am in need of more. Problem is i dont like there "webs" all over the place and am looking to get a conch instead.
Question is are all conch species generally the same?
I mostly reed about the "fighting conch" but i most local stores have other types like spider and orange-lip. I am just wondering if the are all the same or if curtain species are better than others.
Thanks for any info

Reef Pilot
07-30-2012, 11:46 PM
A few months ago, I bought 2 fighting conches and 1 tiger (maybe spider) conch. All were totally useless, for cleaning sand and algae. The tiger one died after a month or so (what a stink), and the other 2 keeping hiding in the back and getting caught in the live rock. I keep fearing another one will die, so have to keep fishing them out from behind. I wish they would now, so I can get rid of them.

StirCrazy
07-31-2012, 09:34 PM
fighting conch is the one to get, but remember they need about 2 to 4 square feet of sand bed each. alot of the other conchs you see are realy welks and are preditory or do more patroling of the rocks than the sand. I had two for about 3 years, don't expect anything fast but they will clean the sand eventualy. they do hide a lot and come out mostly at night, if you sand isn't deep enough they will tend to squeeze under rocks as they like to be able to totaly burry themselves during the day.

Steve

TimT
07-31-2012, 10:50 PM
I have Orange Lip Conch in my system and they do fine. They are a good conch and don't get too large(3").

For cleaning your sand the best thing is a Tiger Tail Sea Cucumber or a Pink Belly Sea Cucumber. They process the sand just like an earthworm does the soil.

Cheers,
Tim