PDA

View Full Version : A new pet

EmilyB
04-05-2004, 01:13 AM
So....I bought a bird. :rolleyes: :lol:

I am so excited. :cool: It is a baby male Eclectus parrot. He'll be coming home towards the end of April. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Aquattro
04-05-2004, 01:24 AM
Nice looking birds. You'll enjoy him, I'm sure!

UnderWorldAquatics
04-05-2004, 01:42 AM
very nice birds EmilyB, I just cant handle the noise. Im waiting for a toucan, nice and quiet...

Skimmerking
04-05-2004, 02:39 AM
hey there DEB can you put that bird in the tank LOL.

Oh ya saw the brain the Beth bought off ya seen it at the meeting on SAT..

nice looking.

Mike

EmilyB
04-05-2004, 03:42 AM
I just hope the bird won't learn to bark... :eek: :lol:

Delphinus
04-05-2004, 03:48 AM
Link to some pictures for us non ornithologists please!! :wink:

kari
04-05-2004, 04:49 AM
Is Ornithologist the proper term for bird lady?

EmilyB

I had to go back and check out the parrot one more time. Still just as impressive. I think this baby parrot will be much better then the drunken woman imitater bird.

Jason McK
04-05-2004, 05:05 AM
Wow, That's a huge undertaking.
We have a Quaker Parrot and love him to death

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time with It. Is it Male or Female?

J

kris
04-05-2004, 05:35 AM
Hey Em, who are you getting it from and is it a solomon island Eclectus. oh and male or female?

EmilyB
04-05-2004, 05:39 AM
It is a baby male Eclectus parrot.

:rolleyes: :razz: I don't know what island yet kris... :mrgreen:

Jason McK
04-05-2004, 01:31 PM
Beautiful Bird. The Males are all green with orange bills correct?

Our Quaker never stops amazing us.
It's about 11 months old and is the funniest thing you can imagine.
If your not in the same room as it it will say" What are you doing?"
Yesterday I was getting ready to bring him outside (he hasn't been outside much) And I guess he doesn't like it because when I can close to get him. He ran away saying "No outside" Too Funny.
Anyway he didn't go outside.

There are a ton of places on-line for info. No real good forums though.

My biggest advise for a new bird owner is spend the bucks on a really good quality cage (more than a 180G tank) ouch

I'm sure you've done all the research already but if you need any advise let me know and I'll get my wife :razz:

Jhttp://www.3reef.com/Photo_Album/jakets/Quincy.JPG

Quinn
04-05-2004, 01:55 PM
Jason, that's hilarious. There's some fantastic research going on on African greys. Phenomenal animals. Apparently they order around lab assistants. Those things are actually able to create new sentences based on previously-learnt words - a hallmark of true language capabilities.

EmilyB
04-05-2004, 09:03 PM
Oh Jason, that is so funny !

It looks just like the green baby, bottom left picture, in this link:

http://www.oldworldaviaries.com/photopages/eclectus.htm

:mrgreen:

Delphinus
04-05-2004, 10:20 PM
Are the two birds in that picture the difference between a male and a female, or are those different species, or is it just that the colouration is that much variable from one individual to the next?

Both birds have amazing colour. I understand the appeal. :biggrin:

EmilyB
04-05-2004, 11:55 PM
No, they are that different. Guess it is pretty easy to sex them....... :lol:

TNTCanada
04-06-2004, 12:21 AM
Nice bird my wife "Tara" has been wanting one of awhile now. She keeps saying I want another dog or a Quaker. One of the LPS has one in town here and she is always playing with it.

Jason McK
04-06-2004, 12:32 AM
Em, Where are you getting him? Breader or Pet store

Oh and by the way I don't have a dog but Quincy barks. and it's very cute.

J

EmilyB
04-06-2004, 02:25 AM
From a local breeder Jason. She is a neighbor of Kari's. For those who haven't visited Kari, you will find the odd bird there as well... :lol:

It was quite interesting viewing.... :eek: I'll never think the tanks are work again.

I figure the dogs and fish have pretty much ruined the lower level of the house, so now I'm gonna decorate the dining room with that "garage" look.... :rolleyes:

Jason McK
04-06-2004, 02:58 AM
Might I suggest a Wet/dry vac (like you don;t already own one) and what we Bird people like to call a Poopy shirt.
This would be a shirt dedicated to the bird. You put it on and the bird know it time to have fun with Mom and Dad
Others may call it something else but that would be rude.

Just make sure you don't leave the house with the poopy shirt on

J

EmilyB
04-06-2004, 06:10 AM
Can we get on those Canreef t-shirts guys...... :rolleyes: :razz:

Yah, the wet/dry vac is a friend.

Canadian Man
04-06-2004, 06:23 AM
Can we get on those Canreef t-shirts guys...... :rolleyes: :razz:

Yah, the wet/dry vac is a friend.

That's what the Free Instant Ocean shirt from the bottom of the bucket is good for. :lol:
Congrat's Deb. Another chalenge! :cool:
Latley I feel like Ringing my birds neck! I belive she is going through her terriable TWO's. :rolleyes:

Delphinus
04-06-2004, 03:21 PM
Is your bird only two Jonathan?

I know the -exact- house you are referring to, Deb. You can't go anywhere in that neighbourhood without getting out of hearing range of the "Screeching Garage" ... :lol:

Canadian Man
04-06-2004, 04:31 PM
She is about 3ish now Tony. The terriable two term is just that. Happens from 2ish to 4ish.

kari
04-07-2004, 02:33 AM
I know the -exact- house you are referring to, Deb. You can't go anywhere in that neighbourhood without getting out of hearing range of the "Screeching Garage" ... :lol:

What Screeching? I can't hear anything anymore. Actually, it kind of makes me feel like I'm in the Amazon jungle in my backyard.

Delphinus
04-07-2004, 03:12 AM
And I'm not even referring to YOUR garage Kari!! :lol:

Actually I have a confession to make (sorry to steal your thread Deb, I'll just say this and then stop stealing and go away ... for at least 5 minutes ... I'll try anyhow). Last Friday .. no wait two Fridays ago now. I guess I kind of contributed to the screeching in the neighbourhood. Surprise party for a buddy who just celebrated a milestone on his way to becoming an electrician. (He lives just across the alley way from the garage-o-parrots.) His wife, my wife's best friend, was to take him away for a bit so we could sneak into the house (so we could yell "surprise!" when they came home). So anyhow she -assured- my wife that the alarm would be turned off. Well, guess what, we entered the house, and sure enough .. BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP. "Uh .. Linda what's the code for the alarm??" "She said it would be turned off. Don't worry." BEEP BEEP BEEP "Um ... I think it's been left on???" "No no, you worry too much, she said it would be off. It will just stop beeping." BEEP BEEP BEEP. BEEPBEEPBEEPBEEPBEEP! "Oh Chr!st!!!! It's not off! Are you sure you don't have the code?" "No I don't!" (time's up) WEEOOOWEEEOOOEEEOEEOEOEOOEOEEOEOEO (ear piercing alarm goes off). Call friend on cell phone. "WTF is your alarm code!!! Your alarm is going off!!" "Ooops, heehee, it's <....>" punch-punch-punch (WEEEOoOEOOEE). Ahhhh, it's off. "Hey, what's the code word for the alarm company for when they call and ask what's up" "Oh they won't call, don't worry". <ring ring> .. Well, crap, I don't have the password. If I don't answer, maybe they'll call her on her cell phone and she'll straighten them out.

They didn't.

Don't ever not answer the phone, just because you don't have the password. I thought it would look really bad if I answered and DIDN'T have the password. In hindsight. That was wrong.

Try explaining to the police that you are in a person's house because you have a SURPRISE party.

(Needless to say, by the time the guy came home, he had kind of figured out what was up .... after I had called his wife on her cell ... AGAIN ... asking her to please explain that she was the homeowner and that yes ... there is a surprise party for her husband).

"Uhhh ... surprise??????"

Canadian Man
04-07-2004, 03:34 AM
:lol: I love your stories Tony! :lol:

EmilyB
04-07-2004, 03:40 AM
Tony should write a book. :cool: