PDA

View Full Version : Will it crash through the floor?

Aysha
07-29-2012, 06:51 PM
So I've got a question!
If you guys aren't sure I can always put the dang thing in the basement.

I got a new tank. 60gallon starfire cube with a 30 gallon sump and it's stand.
So aprox 900lbs when I fill the dang thing.

I want to put it in my living room on a corner outside wall upstairs.
do you think it would hold okay or should I put it in my barely used basement lol.

I'm upgrading from a 29 biocube so it's a bit of a jump.

I know a lot of you have tanks much bigger than mine in condos and the like so it shouldn't be an issue but it's easier to ask.

~Aysha

AquaticFinatic
07-29-2012, 07:15 PM
No worries there go for it. Way to small to even worry about. (disclaimer I'm not responsible for any damage caused) :mrgreen:

Aysha
07-29-2012, 07:35 PM
mmmkay so I guess when the salt ruins the hardwood and i've got fish swimming in my livingroom I can't call you haha

Nano
07-29-2012, 07:48 PM
I think you'll be fine I had a 100g in my apartment for a few year's no worries

Aysha
07-29-2012, 10:03 PM
Sounds good I am super excited for this beast!

AquaticFinatic
07-29-2012, 10:26 PM
Sounds good I am super excited for this beast!

The beast lol. Good luck and don't forget the photos :mrgreen:

toytech
07-29-2012, 10:28 PM
the tank weighs less than 6 people it shouldent be a problem . Let see a pic of this tank, 60 cubes are fantastic.

Aysha
07-29-2012, 10:32 PM
photos tonight! I saw it and caved it was just the upgrade I was looking for. If I'm using an existing tank to stock it how long should I let it cycle for?
this thing is almost 6 feet tall with the stand! it's enormous! I love cube tanks personally and I got a screaming deal on it.

ensquire
07-29-2012, 10:48 PM
As long as you use new sand and don't disturb the sandbed in the old tank, move the rocks quickly. You shouldn't have much of a cycle at all.

Aysha
07-29-2012, 11:18 PM
brand new sand absolutly mines getting kinda ugly! I'm tempted to use sugar sand because I like the looks of it and it's way cheaper (if you know where to get it) but I heard it's a PITA...as far as corals go. go figure my tank is finally mature and nice and I NEED TO MAKE IT BIGGER! still never stop learning. I'm also thinking of changing the halides that came with it over to LED's .

ensquire
07-29-2012, 11:38 PM
brand new sand absolutly mines getting kinda ugly! I'm tempted to use sugar sand because I like the looks of it and it's way cheaper (if you know where to get it) but I heard it's a PITA...as far as corals go. go figure my tank is finally mature and nice and I NEED TO MAKE IT BIGGER! still never stop learning. I'm also thinking of changing the halides that came with it over to LED's .

I went with special grade reef sand in my new tank and like it way better than sugar size. Way less storms especially if you have a sand sifting goby. I have one area in the tank that the sand would disappear from , so I added a cup of Crushed coral and it solved that problem.
Not sure of your requirements , but I love my radion LEDS.

Aysha
07-29-2012, 11:44 PM
Radions are wonderful but I'm a stay at home contractor so those aren't in the cards for er awhile.
unless someone needs some design work done har har har

marblesab
07-30-2012, 12:07 AM
Oh! That's the 24X24X24 one that was on Kijiji right!? I was seriously considering it! Take photos when you get it set up, please!!

naesco
07-30-2012, 12:11 AM
Go for it provided you do not add heavy fish like tangs.

Aysha
07-30-2012, 12:33 AM
Nope this is the cube off out of Steves store it's even better.
tangs weigh at least 600lbs each I'd have to be crazy!

Snaz
07-30-2012, 12:58 AM
If you can use a solder iron then you can make a better Led fixture for a fraction of the cost. Http://aquastyleonline.com

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-30-2012, 01:14 AM
If you're really worried and can't check the joists, you could add a sheet of plywood on the floor before setting up the tank to help spread the weight. However, I don't think it is going to be an issue.

For all the threads started on fish sites about this weight of fish tanks & floor strength issue, I have NEVER heard of one case where a tank actually going through a floor. NOT a single one and I've been keeping fish since the mid-70s. Yes, too much weight can cause floors to sag if not placed properly perpendicular over the floor joists, but yours is small enough & light enough it shouldn't be an issue.

Aysha
07-30-2012, 01:24 AM
yeah me neither urban legends I'm suspecting. I can use a soldering iron so those lights are what I was looking at.

Snaz
07-30-2012, 01:36 AM
I can use a soldering iron so those lights are what I was looking at.

I've built two of these kits and it was fun and easy. The hardest part was getting the fixtures to fit within existing hoods but you will not have to worry about that.

toytech
07-30-2012, 04:45 AM
i have the aquastyle kits too the only thing i dont like about them is the rehostats , they dont seem to dim on a consistent curve . Once i pick up a few better ones they will be perfect.

fishoholic
07-30-2012, 01:50 PM
photos tonight! I saw it and caved it was just the upgrade I was looking for. If I'm using an existing tank to stock it how long should I let it cycle for?
this thing is almost 6 feet tall with the stand! it's enormous! I love cube tanks personally and I got a screaming deal on it.

I can't blame you it's very nice. I was wanting it but Doug said no, also I admit I didn't want to carry more buckets around for water changes....but still it was tempting.

Oh! That's the 24X24X24 one that was on Kijiji right!? I was seriously considering it! Take photos when you get it set up, please!!

It might of been, the guy was selling it on kijiji but had no luck so he took it to Steve's RCE to sell.

Aysha
07-30-2012, 04:32 PM
yeah did you see all the junk poor steve had to unpack lol the skimmer box was full of bits of plastic.

I didn't see it on kijiji but I find it easier to look at tanks in person too many on kijiji and everyone want's too much. I had my heart set on a 60 cube for awhile originally I was looking at the solana xl but this is a much better deal.

seeing if I can swap the halides for LEDS that damn bulb lights up half the upstairs of my house like daytime! amusing in it's own right.

I'm still ghetto and rock a 50ft python for waterchanges.

at least with a sump filling that thing won't be so bad. mix the salt in the sump turn on the tap and the overflow dumps it into the tank no buckets! (till the dang thing is full)
ooo and it matches my livingroom furniture perfectly. Ask Doug how stoked I was about randomly finding the tank I wanted in the back corner of the fish store.

fishoholic
07-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Ya when I mentioned again how nice it is Doug was quick to tell me that you were excited about it and was thinking of buying it.

I have a 34g cube in my front livingroom that's a pita to do water changes on. My salt mixing tank is in my crawl space in the basement so I have to carry to half full buckets (can't lift a full bucket) up two flights of stairs for water changes. As much as I'd like to upgrade to a 60g cube I don't want to carry four half buckets full of new saltwater around for water changes, 2 is enough of a pain :lol:

Aysha
07-30-2012, 08:14 PM
YOU ARE INSANE!
Love,
Aysha

Aysha
07-30-2012, 10:52 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/405317_10150934977521736_722681719_n.jpg

my rare and exotic fish

fishoholic
07-31-2012, 03:58 AM
YOU ARE INSANE!
Love,
Aysha

:pound:

When it comes to this hobby I'd have to agree :lol:

Btw I love your catfish :mrgreen: