PDA

View Full Version : Sebae anemone Q's

FitoPharmer
07-29-2012, 03:57 PM
I just acquired a sebae anemone from a tank shut down. It was only under 2 of the Marineland LED fixtures for a while. It does not looks totally bleached there is some brown left in him. I plopped him down in the darkest corner under my rocks. My first question what should I do to acclimate him to my 150W MH since he is a a shadowed cave right now? Should I start with 3-4 hours less time? or should I go for the full 6-8 hours with the light a foot or more higher then normal. Its been a while since I have cared for one and I do not want to stress this guy out any more then necessary..

Myka
07-29-2012, 04:30 PM
I would say leave the lights on their normal schedule and shade the anemone. You can wedge a piece of egg crate in the rock above the anemone and lay some window screen or needlepoint mesh over top of it. Once the anemone is settled you can remove a layer of screening or raise the egg crate up higher so more light gets under. If the anemone will eat, feeding it a few pieces of mysis shrimp a few times a week will also help increase its condition greatly.

daniella3d
07-30-2012, 01:05 AM
I have one and it was bleached when I got it, but it is at the bottom of my 23" deep tank and under 250 watt MH and it love the light.

Feed it a little bit of mysis each day and it will grow fast and come back to health.

MIne was nearly white when I got it, now a few months later it is dark brown and it went from 3" to now about 8". I feed it with mysis each day, every single day and each time it eat more and more.

If yours eat, then it will be fine. Also they can move if they have too much light and they prefer to have their foot in the sand, so if you put it at the bottom it will be just fine under 150 watt, if you feed it (if it accept food).

I have put mine right under 250 watt MH at the bottom of the tank since day one.

I just acquired a sebae anemone from a tank shut down. It was only under 2 of the Marineland LED fixtures for a while. It does not looks totally bleached there is some brown left in him. I plopped him down in the darkest corner under my rocks. My first question what should I do to acclimate him to my 150W MH since he is a a shadowed cave right now? Should I start with 3-4 hours less time? or should I go for the full 6-8 hours with the light a foot or more higher then normal. Its been a while since I have cared for one and I do not want to stress this guy out any more then necessary..

FitoPharmer
07-30-2012, 05:43 AM
The anemone seemed to be a little more equally inflated today. Still not very happy. This is kind of off topic of the anemone, but it is hosted by two large gold stripe maroon clowns. I feel like they are too big for my 20G tank, the male has a large gash on his side I think from banging on my rocks. This morning he looked like he was having a hard time turning around in some spots so I took out some rock and rearrange things a bit to allow more open swimming room.
With the rocks, coral, and over flow I estimate the volume of my display to be ~15G. Is there anyway to house them in this tank long term? Or should I find them a new home? Right now the only other fish in the tank is a huge pink spot watchman.

daniella3d
07-31-2012, 03:12 AM
Definitly a new home, 30 gallons at least.

Is there anyway to house them in this tank long term? Or should I find them a new home? Right now the only other fish in the tank is a huge pink spot watchman.