PDA

View Full Version : Buying acrylic?

BillyPrefect
04-04-2004, 10:32 PM
Where's a good/cheap place to buy acrylic sheet, roughly 3/8" and I guess a 4 foot by 4 foot sheet, half sheet I think. In Calgary for now, just wondering though, not like I have the money for it, but I like to preplan my ideas.

Delphinus
04-05-2004, 03:46 AM
I don't know if they have the "best" prices for acrylic but the place I shop for acrylics and other plastics things is Industrial Paints and Plastics. It's nearby to Chinook Centre. I don't know their phone number offhand but they do have a webpage I'm sure you could surf through there and find the number for their Calgary franchise. www.ippnet.com

Another place people mention is GE Polymers and Shapes. They are just off Deerfoot, near either 32nd Av or 64th Av NE or thereabouts.

Aquattro
04-05-2004, 05:44 AM
I don't know if they have the "best" prices for acrylic ..... Industrial Paints and Plastics. .

Tony, not sure about out there, but IPP has the absolute worst prices and service imagineable here. The exception is the Nanaimo franchise, which has great prices and service. The ones in vic though, really poor.

zulu_principle
04-05-2004, 05:48 AM
Try Laird Plastics.

From the website I know there is one in calgary.

Wendell

Delphinus
04-05-2004, 03:13 PM
Tony, not sure about out there, but IPP has the absolute worst prices and service imagineable here.

I don't have enough experience to compare it to anything, but, one time I did try to get some pieces precut. They told me a price over the phone based on per square foot. I did a quick estimate in my head and said "ok I need the following pieces cut."

When I arrived to pick the pieces up the price was about double what I had estimated. When I challenged them on this they said "oh ... well it's rounded up to the next square foot" (or something). I was pretty choked. So I said "so where are the offcuts then?" "Oh ... you want those too?" "Uh ... YEAH ... if I'm PAYING for them anyways." They grudingly gave me the scraps. If I hadn't have asked I would not have been given them and they were destined for the scrap heap ... which guess what ... they sell! So they would have sold those pieces of acrylic exactly twice. Gee, not bad for business I suppose. :rolleyes:

I wasn't too happy about that experience, but I thought it might have been normal, or par for the course, and blamed myself for not asking detailed enough questions beforehand.

trilinearmipmap
04-05-2004, 07:13 PM
As a rough guestimate what would a 4' x 4' or 4' by 8' piece of acrylic go for? I am trying to decide between buying a custom sump or making a DIY sump from an old glas aquarium with acrylic baffles.

hw
04-05-2004, 08:05 PM
i've had both good and bad experiences there w/ pricing. they've charged me 1/4" price for 3/16" scrap. they charged me for much more expensive plastic. but one time or another they sold me scrape for real cheap. be vigiliant when you shop there, get quotes written whatever. everything you would normally do when shopping for a used car. :P

jthunder
04-17-2004, 02:16 AM
What about in Edmonton, I am also considering creating a propagation tray from acrylic, but not sure where to shop for the supplies. I would like to have the peices cut and edges finished for glueing (if there is an easy way to do this my self please let me know).

I also am considering a poly propylene tray as well (costs 230.00) for a 4'x3'x16" container... not sure if I can find something else that is as good.

Please if you know anyone or place that can help please drop me a note.

thanks

Mark