PDA

View Full Version : Marine velvet and coral question.

lpsreefer
07-29-2012, 09:28 AM
I've done quiet a bit of reading but can't seem to find an anwser.
When marine velvet hit its tomont stage(after it has taken its fill of the fish) when it going to the bottom of your tank.
Say you have big Lps corals like bubble corals can it go inside the coral say when it goes in at night and dormant? And release when the coral inflates?

I only ask because the tank I had the marine velvet outbreak it I want to transfer the corals to a different tank.

Does any one have any knowledge or experience?

Leah
07-29-2012, 11:52 AM
I would not risk it, but that is only me.

MMAX
07-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Having experienced a velvet outbreak 2 years ago, in my tank anyway, it only effected the fish. It did kill 3, 2 were treated and are still with me today and 3 did not show any signs at all. All the survivors were transfered into a temporary tank while my display remained fishless for 12 weeks. In those 12 weeks, I began working on the invert side of things. Collecting mostly SPS corals along with a few LPS here and there. All snails, crabs, shrimp and every inhabitant on and in my live rock were good. After the 12 weeks the fish went back in and everything has been fine since. So to answer your question, your coral should be ok. If it was me, I'd leave it in the display while the velvet runs its course.

daniella3d
07-30-2012, 01:07 AM
I would not risk it either. I would wait 8 weeks without fish and then move the coral. It would be a shame to contaminate another tank because you have moved contaminated coral too soon.

It is hard to tell if a coral does not have any larvea of parasites attached to it.

lpsreefer
07-30-2012, 01:45 AM
Im just shutting that tank down.
There is a bubble coral, devil finger, Padoga coral.
I just want to take the corals out. Cycle the rocks agian.