PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a Frag Tank

bluesox68
07-29-2012, 01:18 AM
So I would like to build a frag tank, hoping for income generation. I almost invested in a frag setup but I decided with the wisdom of my wife, to start smaller. I have a 20 G and I'm starting with that.
Is there a real possibility to actually generate a small income with a frag tank?
I understand because I'm starting so small that at this point it's more trial and error. But I wouldn't mind getting people's advice on do's and don'ts in accomplishing this in the most simple and cost-effective way.
ie. What are some fast growing frags I could look to get?
My short term goal would be to fund a larger frag setup down the road, ultimately being able to generate a more substantial income.
I'm not looking to retire on this LOL, but it's a passion of mine.
Please feel free to send any advice my way! Just some info: My current display is a 40G tall with 20G sump/refugium, and I was hoping to utilize my system to help kick-start my frag tank. Thanks!!

apexifd
07-29-2012, 01:34 AM
If selling frags is enough to pay for salt and food to keep the tank running, then it's good income.

whatcaneyedo
07-29-2012, 01:46 AM
The short answers.
Gross income: yes. Net income: no. Most soft coral are faster growing than most stony coral and they would likely be easier to keep alive in a simple little tank. Do some market research because growing a particular coral is no good if no one wants to buy it.

The long answer.
Book of Coral Propagation: Reef Gardening For Aquarists by Anthony Calfo.

FragIt Dan
07-29-2012, 02:47 AM
I would avoid the faster growing hardy stuff as I think you will find the market is saturated. Most of us who are fragging throw those ones out when we trim because you can't even give them away. Do your research on which frags would be more desirable and hopefully by the time you are ready to harvest some fraga, things won't have changed. Also, figure out DIY supplementing and maybe even frag pucks as they can start to add up :)
Dan
My little frag setup in my basement...
http://img.tapatalk.com/adb46c7e-a625-e0cd.jpg

toytech
07-29-2012, 03:39 AM
i have had a 15 gal frag tank up for over a year now and i would say add a sump , i wish i had . Rics and yumas are easy and theres good demand , zoas can be tempermental with growth. Dunnow about sps because my tank is crashing and all mine died (like i said wish i had a sump). I realy like the 1x1 inch marble tiles from home depot are great for frags and there realy cheap.

reefermadness
07-29-2012, 04:39 AM
unless you are going to be chop shopping my suggestion is get a large display and fill it with the nicest corals/frags you can find......grow for a few years and than start a small frag tank for your cuttings. Fast or easy income this is not. In fact I have done this exact thing and highly doubt I will ever even come close to breaking even with every dollar I've spent on this hobby.....I guess that is why I do it....cause its a hobby and I love it. There are far better business opportunities, that is for sure.

Your other option is to buy corals and cut and sell (chop shop). Probably make more money this way with less initial investment.....chances are higher of unsatisfied customers.

Either way you need to know what you are doing.....years of experience is recommended.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-29-2012, 08:13 AM
As others have said already, unless you already have a full reef tank and spare equipment for a frag tank, you're probably not even going to break even if you're starting from scratch. By the time you pay for everything and get the corals to stop dying and start growing, you'll be deep in the red and it'll take you quite a while to come close to covering operating costs. Don't expect to make a profit. "Fast growing" is relative when it comes to corals. "Fast growing" means you'll be lucky to buy a frag and have it grow enough in a year to frag and sell a frag or two. In other words, if you can get any new frags you buy to adapt to your tank conditions and grow, you need to get it to say triple in size before you can safely cut off a single frag and leave a decent mother colony to continue growing. So triple or more in a year is extremely fast growth for most corals. Many of the most desirable corals will take years to triple in size. The cheap softies that nobody wants to pay more than a couple bucks for (if you're lucky) are also the ones most likely to grow well. Good lighting is not cheap and necessary for a frag tank.

Anthony

Jeff000
07-29-2012, 06:02 PM
If selling frags is enough to pay for salt and food to keep the tank running, then it's good income.

This.
Don't forget power costs in there, and the cost for the initial equipment.

I just set up a frag tank, was getting out of hand with the racks on the back of the display. It's plumbed in with my main system.

I do plan on selling frags, as I have a few desirable corals, but I doubt I'll cover the cost of the frag tank and getting it set up for a couple years. The corals everyone wants are a year old and maybe double in size from when I got it.