PDA

View Full Version : moving........ -_-

Nano
07-28-2012, 01:04 AM
So.. were moving. Boo. Anyway, I have my tanks plumbing completely sealed so the only way to dismantle it is to break it down and replumb. So since that's the case I have a 29 gallon I can set up temporarily with a cheap hob filter and all the livestock/live rock, should I still keep as much water as I can? Tank would be shut down a day or two so I feel safer using a temporary tank for now. Is this feasible?

intarsiabox
07-28-2012, 02:21 AM
When I moved I put all my coral and fish into a 29g temporary tank as well. I used a HOB filter as well as HOB skimmer that I had laying around. For the new tank I used all new water brought to the same levels as my old water and had no problems.

Nano
07-28-2012, 02:25 AM
I thought of mixing up 60g of new water but I think I may try to just save 20-40g from my tank in some buckets. Anyone got any buckets ;) like a bunch :P

lpsreefer
07-28-2012, 02:40 AM
The problem normally lays in stirring up the sand and any thing left in your live rock. That might cause a mini cycle that's why new water is good.
Make sure you put your fish and corals (depending on your corals) in a separate holding area.
Good luck with the move.

Nano
07-28-2012, 02:53 AM
Lucky I have no sand bed ;) thanks though, I'm going to need some new water, but will try to keep some as well

Bob
07-28-2012, 03:30 AM
I can lend you a 65 gallon tank if you want...I am in wetaskiwin
that should hold enough water for you

Nano
07-28-2012, 03:41 AM
Wow didn't know there were any other wetaskiwinites here lol. That's ok Bob, thanks though, I won't have room for a tank that size right now. Next weekend I can start moving in so I will do the tank first get it off my back and then move the rest. I'm just going to end up tearing it down, (my nice plumbing...) And then putting every thing in the 29 plus whatever can't fit ie live rock from the sump will go in a tub for the day with a powerhead and heater. Pain in the butt hop all goes "swimmingly"

Nano
08-02-2012, 05:01 AM
so I am moving the tank this weekend, i have the temporary tank ready to go, filter heater and a large frag rack to hold all corals so i can play with the rocks in the main tank with out worry. now, since the tank will be dry (so to speak) for a bit, I am thinking of popping off the black bracing and going rimless.. now the tank is 24x24x15 with 3/8" glass, so in theory it should be fine. however its just an idea at this point, and I had thought of it originally when setting up the tank, but decided against it. SOOO, i am asking for opinions & experiences with it and if I do go this route, I may even consider cutting some glass bracing for a less obtrusive appearance. opinions welcomed

thanks

daplatapus
08-02-2012, 05:38 AM
I have a 18" X 18" X 18" rimless cube and love the clean look of it. I do have one issue with it. For some reason my snails love to go cruising on the outside of the tank :)
I've seen some pretty sweet glass rims with beveled edges that are only 1 1/2" wide that could easily siliconed on the top like a eurobrace. I think that might discourage the snails a bit...

SeaHorse_Fanatic
08-02-2012, 07:02 AM
If there is a Princess Auto or you already have one, you can cut your plumbing with a proper pipe cutter and then its nice and neat. You can then use a coupler to rejoin everything. Nice and easy.

sphelps
08-02-2012, 03:10 PM
If there is a Princess Auto or you already have one, you can cut your plumbing with a proper pipe cutter and then its nice and neat. You can then use a coupler to rejoin everything. Nice and easy.

+1 except use unions so things can be dismantled again if need be.

If you can store the rock the properly during the move there is no need to keep old water but new water should probably be mixed ahead of time and aerated if possible.

In terms of the rimless option, I wouldn't do it as the glass underneath the trim won't be polished and removing the silicone will be a PITA. It'll look better with the black trim.

Nano
08-02-2012, 04:02 PM
I talked to few aquarium builders and they said it'd be fine without it, so now I just have to decide if I'm up to it or not

Nano
08-04-2012, 11:48 PM
Well everything has gone well thus far, the tank mates and corals are in the 29g temporarily, thought we lost the 6 line but turns out he just swam into the return pipe and came out after disconnecting it lol. Now were are working on replumbing the tank, and what not hopefully transfer it all back in in a day or two. Left the rim on the tank cause I just didn't feel like running into a problem. Though the next tank won't have that ugly black trim. I'll update my build thread once I get sorted.

Nano
08-05-2012, 04:23 PM
Well the rebuild went well! I've mixed up 45g of new water and kept 40g of old the tank is salty, and I am just letting the temperature stabilize and then will transfer the live stock in tomorrow, once I can get a good match in salinity and temp to the existing tank water. Then drip everything in a bucket or 2 and thats that! Thanks all for the help and suggestions, and thanks to Harvey and Josh at Marine aquaria for lending me all the buckets I needed lol made life Soooo much easier.

lockrookie
08-05-2012, 05:22 PM
glad it went well for you

Nano
08-06-2012, 06:10 PM
Clowns hermits, snails and a few zoas are in. Going to see how things look this evening before moving the sps and other livestock

Proteus
08-06-2012, 06:35 PM
I found using prodibio start up really helped Alot during the transfer. I used it when going from the 135g to the 180g with no losses. But didn't use it on the 26g. Even though I used old tank water. I was having ammonia issues. I added the start up am instantly things got better

Just a thought for ya ken

Nano
08-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Thanks man. I have to rip up to big als to get some IO today anyway as i ran out so the salinity is sitting at 1.023 which is at the bottom end of where I need it lol may get some probido as well. I wonder if big als carries it? I would assume the other places around the south side are closed today. Clowns seem happy back in their usual spot already so that's good. I think I'll add the rest later tonight if I can get some probido or other start up

Nano
08-06-2012, 07:10 PM
aggg... no probido at big als and blue world and marine aquaria are closed. havent tried red coral yet, but i really dont have time to go to the north end. any other products anyone can suggest that will do the same basic thing that big als may carry?

Proteus
08-06-2012, 07:36 PM
RC probably be your only chance MA doesn't carry it and BW is often sold out

Nano
08-06-2012, 08:32 PM
That's what I figured oh well I poked around online and found bacter boost which does the same kind of thing. Also bought another pail of salt and wait for it, wait for it... No more manual topping off thanks to my new jbj ato :D

Nano
08-07-2012, 12:16 AM
Sad news, first casualty.

My cherub took a ride on the porcelain express as either the wrasse or my bangai cardinal chewed his tail fin off and took a nice bit out of his side. So I'm kinda bummed I liked that fish a lot. And now our scooter is looking a little pathetic too, I acclimated him put him in, and he just isn't active. Not stressed looking or anything but just kind of chilling out. I guess this is the way things go sometimes. I added the bacter boost to help keep things stable over the next few days, it says in neutralizes and stabilizes nitrates and ammonia etc.... Really hope everything works out for the rest of the livestock.

Nano
08-07-2012, 09:06 PM
So all the critters are still alive today, params are stable but i have 5ppm of nitrates should I toss the corals in? Or should I do a small wc then toss them in? The softies and one monti frag look good that I tossed in on sunday night so i think I'm ok just thought id ask :P