PDA

View Full Version : LF/WTB: male+female Mandarin Dragonet

Semaka
07-26-2012, 11:22 PM
I am looking for a male and a female mandarin. Must eat frozen food. I am not necessarily looking for a mated pair, but would like to add both at the same time.
I should mention I live near Montreal. If you know any shops that have some let me know.

I have a 90g reef tank. It is almost 6 months old. I have about 100lbs of live rock a 30g sump with a refugium (LR in it + DSB). There is a yellow tang (juvenile), hippo tang (juvenile), flame angel and 2 clowns + scarlet and coral banded shrimp.
It is mostly sps with the exception of a big goniopora, leather coral and a kenya tree.

Thank you.

dc4
07-27-2012, 06:46 PM
I am looking for a male and a female mandarin. Must eat frozen food. I am not necessarily looking for a mated pair, but would like to add both at the same time.
I should mention I live near Montreal. If you know any shops that have some let me know.

I have a 90g reef tank. It is almost 6 months old. I have about 100lbs of live rock a 30g sump with a refugium (LR in it + DSB). There is a yellow tang (juvenile), hippo tang (juvenile), flame angel and 2 clowns + scarlet and coral banded shrimp.
It is mostly sps with the exception of a big goniopora, leather coral and a kenya tree.

Thank you.

+1

By far my favorite fish in the tank are my pair of mandarins, I got the female from a fellow reefer and it was already trained on frozen. I bought a male 6 months later from a local lfs and it started to eat frozen after a few months. Just in case, I bought I few bottles of copepods from the states to seed my tank and refugium to make sure there was enough food for the male until it learned to eat frozen.

Good luck on your search!

Semaka
07-28-2012, 02:47 AM
I was told that if I add them at the same time it should increase my odds of them forming a pair. How did it work out for you adding them 6 months apart?

dc4
07-28-2012, 02:52 AM
I was told that if I add them at the same time it should increase my odds of them forming a pair. How did it work out for you adding them 6 months apart?

It went fine, my female was extremely curious at first but then they reversed roles and the male became very interested in the female. He tries to initiate the courtship dance every night but sometimes female is not interested, lol. Its just like real life!

Putting them in at the same time would probably improve your chances but if they are the only 2 opposite sex of the same species in the tank, I'm sure it will work out either way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Semaka
07-28-2012, 02:59 AM
in that case guess who's getting a new male mandarin :)
One of the stores near me had 3 or 4 mandarins. I was told they were there for about 2 months and doing good (one of them might have been a female but the guy wasn't sure). They looked healthy nice and plump, but when i asked the guy to feed one male he was a bit shy with his mysis and I decided to wait. I'll give it another shot next week see how he's doing.
Now you got me all excited.

dc4
07-28-2012, 03:01 AM
in that case guess who's getting a new male mandarin :)
One of the stores near me had 3 or 4 mandarins. I was told they were there for about 2 months and doing good (one of them might have been a female but the guy wasn't sure). They looked healthy nice and plump, but when i asked the guy to feed one male he was a bit shy with his mysis and I decided to wait. I'll give it another shot next week see how he's doing.
Now you got me all excited.

Haha, well, it should be pretty easy to tell the difference between a male and a female. The male will have top front fin that is 3-4x as long as the female.