PDA

View Full Version : dry rock accross the border

vanreefer
07-26-2012, 05:08 PM
HI
anyone brought dry rock (ie BRS pukani etc) over the border?

MKLKT
07-26-2012, 05:25 PM
Considering they won't ship it, I assume there is a lot of work involved to do it legally.

apexifd
07-26-2012, 05:35 PM
no rock or coral skeleton is allowed to be imported without paper work.

Mandosh
07-26-2012, 07:39 PM
no rock or coral skeleton is allowed to be imported without paper work.

It's illegal to bring SPS across the border as well, but that doesn't seem to stop anyone...

According to a thread I read on RC, it shouldn't be an issue:

Can you ship dry rock to Canada?
Sure can, this rock has it's own special US Customs description as the rock was submitted to them, analyzed and classified by the US Government.
This is not considered coral, as ALL other rock is that is in the Industry. So very easy to ship without any customs, or US Fish and Wildlife permit.
Also I have shipped aquacultured rock to Canada, VIA a US airport many times.
Nobody has ever encountered any problems at the border, just declare it, pay some tax as the Canadians have there own designation for cultured rock. It is taxed and recognized as 'limestone' by them. Ask here in RC there are a few of your countrymen who have done it.
Richard TBS:rollface: :rollface: :rollface:

Myka
07-26-2012, 07:44 PM
Unless things have changed, they only ship the Fiji dry rock to Canada.

PurpleMonkey
07-26-2012, 09:10 PM
I brought the BRS ecosaver rock across the border no problems

mrhasan
07-26-2012, 09:59 PM
I was just wondering why would you buy dry rocks with relatively large money being gone for shipping when you can get live rock from ecolive ($4/lb) in Halifax. They do free shipping with any order (min 20lb). And the rocks are great too. If you want, I can post some pics of my aquarium so that you can see how the rocks are. A friend of mine ordered some too and because of delay on their side, they are giving 20% more rocks. :mrgreen:

marblesab
07-26-2012, 10:32 PM
I was just wondering why would you buy dry rocks with relatively large money being gone for shipping when you can get live rock from ecolive ($4/lb) in Halifax. They do free shipping with any order (min 20lb). And the rocks are great too. If you want, I can post some pics of my aquarium so that you can see how the rocks are. A friend of mine ordered some too and because of delay on their side, they are giving 20% more rocks. :mrgreen:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd love to see it!

mrhasan
07-26-2012, 10:39 PM
This is the pic of the rocks I received (20lb)

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg685/scaled.php?server=685&filename=dsc00020600x450.jpg&res=landing

And turned to this:
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg690/scaled.php?server=690&filename=20120721180508.jpg&res=landing

TimT
07-27-2012, 01:28 AM
The dried Pukani and other types of dead dried rock from Fiji DO REQUIRE A CITES permit.

The mined Eco Rock does not, but you might have a hard time convincing the authorities of that.

Cheers,
Tim

Myka
07-27-2012, 02:35 AM
Whoops, my bad....the Eco Rock is the one they ship to Canada. *smacks forehead*

On the other hand...why would you want to buy dry rock? I despise that stuff...

reefermadness
07-27-2012, 04:24 AM
I used the dry eco saver shelf rock from BRS in my 200g.....no problem shipping to Canada either.

I really only have about 5 or 6 large pieces of flat rock that make up my aquascape.......dry rock worked well for me, what do you feel is so bad about it Mindy? I actually prefer dry rock with no algae or pests to start a tank.

vanreefer
07-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Whoops, my bad....the Eco Rock is the one they ship to Canada. *smacks forehead*

On the other hand...why would you want to buy dry rock? I despise that stuff...

because 200lbs at $3lb is easier on the wallet than $8... and I have the time ie 6+ months to build up the filtering potential ( and manage the PO4 that leaches from most dry rock).... I'm interested why you despise dry rock...?

Rogue951
07-27-2012, 11:43 PM
I brought some dry ecorock up from point Roberts before. Even showed the guy the invoice cause "aquarium supplies" is too generic.