PDA

View Full Version : API Algaefix?

daplatapus
07-25-2012, 05:49 AM
Anyone know who carries this stuff on the island?

Mandosh
07-25-2012, 06:12 AM
I didn't think algaefix was legal in Canada?

gregzz4
07-25-2012, 08:20 AM
Why use it ?
It'll only kill most of your tank critters

Just wait out your cycle ... or raise your Mg ....

I have some leftover stuff from my freshwater days and I'd never use it in a tank

I just can't make myself throw it out 'cause I paid for it :smile:

daplatapus
07-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Mandosh: I didn't know that, oops!

Greg: (Quote: Just wait out your cycle ...) Cycle has LONG since come and gone. Tank is almost a year old with lots of SPS, LPS, soft corals, inverts, fish etc. Just this crazy dictyota algae that is starting to drive me crazy :D
I just finished reading a 60 pg thread on RC of guys using it to clear up their tanks of hair algae and it apparently works on dictyota too. The results seemed mostly positive with no damage to inverts, corals or fish. Slowed growth of macro algae was noticed if used properly and no effect to calcium based algae's like halimeda.
So it seemed like it was worth a shot.
Somewhere around post #1039
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16658775&highlight=algaefix+dictyota#post16658775

gregzz4
07-25-2012, 07:51 PM
Hmm
So, I'll recommend you have a bunch of NSW on hand, just in case
I really don't trust algaecides, can't you tell ? :smile:

daplatapus
07-25-2012, 07:58 PM
Yeah, I've always got 30 gal minimum mixed at any given time I can mix another 30 in minutes. I still haven't been able to find a supplier. I think I want to try new bulbs, less feeding and daily cropping for another month or two and see if that helps before I dump something like this in my tanks.

dreef
07-26-2012, 02:26 AM
It will NOT kill all your critters,seriously i've used it and a buddy with great results.I read and followed a documented use and followed it to the word and never lost one thing.I never found anywhere in canada that carried it..but fleabay and a hongkong seller fixed me up.A bit of reading,but worth it

http://www.3reef.com/forums/algae/algaefix-marine-api-109784.html

gregzz4
07-26-2012, 03:15 AM
Yup, my bad
I had it confused with Microbe-lift that will kill inverts
Thanks for clearing that up