PDA

View Full Version : Instant Ocean reef Crystals

Bugsy
07-24-2012, 11:38 PM
Anyone here use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals?

I had equal amounts of the Instant Ocean and Instant Ocean Reef Crystals and mixed them. When I do a water change my corals really pout.

When I used just the Instant Ocean normal never had this. Anyone else have this issue with the reef crystals?

lpsreefer
07-24-2012, 11:41 PM
Maybe some pictures might help.
Also when changing salt it's best to do it slowly.

NastayNatron
07-24-2012, 11:48 PM
I use and love Reef Crystals. I've used a couple other salts and like Reef Crystals the best.

Skimmerking
07-25-2012, 01:37 AM
I have used instant ocean since 2002 when I started out now this year I have switched to IO reef cystals and so far not to bad

badAZZlars
07-25-2012, 01:51 AM
Reef crystals have been fine for me but I can't say my tank is any better since switching from basic io 7 months ago.

daniella3d
07-25-2012, 03:03 AM
Been using reef crystal for 2 years without any problem, quite the opposite. I suspect that you chocked your system with a too large water change and a spike in alkalinity. Reef Crystal is quite high in alkalinity and if your water was low in alkalinity, there could be quite a sudden change if a large water change was done.

If you have only a few corals, and no clam or SPS, there is no need to use Reef Crystal. I use it because I have 3 clams and lots of SPS and despite the fact that Reef Crystal is high in calcium and alk, I still need to dose each day. If you don't need that, you should not be using RC.

Anyone here use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals?

I had equal amounts of the Instant Ocean and Instant Ocean Reef Crystals and mixed them. When I do a water change my corals really pout.

When I used just the Instant Ocean normal never had this. Anyone else have this issue with the reef crystals?

Bugsy
07-25-2012, 05:22 AM
I only have softies so I should not be using it then. I have been doing a bit of it to use it up for a while now with the regular salt and noticed then that the reef crystals and my corals were not happy.

I do 8 cups of water change every 2 weeks. But I thought by mixing the two salts they would be okay, guess not so I will go back to just the regular as they were much better with that.

I talked with another reefer that said the same thing his alk was way off the charts with the reef crystals so i really don't need to be using it either.

Thanks all....:biggrin: