PDA

View Full Version : Tuxedo urchin question

daplatapus
07-24-2012, 02:32 PM
So I'm having a terrible time controlling some algae. Not sure where it came from probably from my live rock or a frag that came in. I've been running a BRS GFO reactor for over 6 months with their high capacity GFO with no results other than killing off my chaeto. I think tuxedo urchin's are very cool and heard they really like all types of algae. Will a tuxedo urchin help in the control of dictyota algae?
My tank is just a couple months shy of 1 year old, and has been rock stable for the entire time. 77 gal DT (full reef, spa, lps and softies) with 80 gal sump and a remote 20 gal cube. Approx 150 gal total water volume. For live stock:
1 flame angel
1 Yellow eye Kole tang
2 occelaris clowns
2 schooling banner fish (rescues from a friends moving disaster)
1 starry blenny
1 sand sifting starfish
1 purple fire fish
1 green mandarin
1 2spot blenny
misc snails and hermits

MKLKT
07-24-2012, 03:20 PM
You should try to find the source of the nutrients that are feeding that algae, starving it is going to be the most effective long-term solution, otherwise you might have it crop up again in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if the tuxedo ate some of the algae; however, I have a hard time seeing it keep up if the tank is as large as it sounds.

fishytime
07-24-2012, 03:23 PM
ew, dictyota is a bad one......I had it for a spell.....I doubt an urchin will eat it.....the only critter I know of that eats it for sure are naso tangs.....I wouldnt recommend one long term for your size of tank, but if you were to find a small one and are will to go through the effort of getting it out of the tank later, then it might be worth a try.....

you could also try elevating your magnesium levels.....

daplatapus
07-24-2012, 08:11 PM
Hmmm, Naso tang.... I'm trying to get the wife to approve a 180..... :)
I have been running low Mg and have started dosing within the last month or so with a BRS doser, maybe I'll slowly boost that up a bit. What would you say I should bring it up to? 1450?

MKLKT: You're probably right, and I suspect I am over feeding. I have to be a bit more disciplined in my feeding habits.

What are your thoughts as to light quality. Since this is my first SW tank and I haven't really had any real issues, the last year has felt like coasting, this is my first real battle. I read all the time about how people know when to change their MH bulbs when their tanks start growing algae. How light dependant is dictyota? I'm running a 48" Odysea twin 250 W MH and T5 fixture. I totally cheaped out on the bulbs when I replaced them 6 months ago and have wondered ever since if they might be a contributing factor. Would better bulbs help?

TimT
07-24-2012, 11:53 PM
I would bring the Mag up to 1500 and keep it there for a couple months. Manually harvest the algae as well. If you don't notice a decline in the algae then you might want to try new bulbs with a colour temp of 15k to 20k. I like Radiums the best.

Do you use RO water for the tank make up water? If so, how old are the filters?

Urchins are very effective herbivores but they can be limited to where they can get to due to there shell. A Sea Hare might be an effective option as well.

Cheers,
Tim

gregzz4
07-25-2012, 12:44 AM
You could even run the Mg as hi as 1600 ... I'm doing this today, as a matter of fact
Please read the whole thread first as there are other ideas, and other stuff to know too, including how fast to raise the Mg :smile:

From Myka's guide Get rid of Hair Algae and other Nuisance Algae (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44860)

... Ok, you've tried everything...it's been a few months, and you're still brush cutting that HA. Now it's time for the big guns. If you have the Bryopsis type of HA (it's feathery unlike Derbesia which is grassy or like a green cotton ball), then this will work. If you have Derbesia, this won't work. Get yourself some Kent brand liquid magnesium. The Kent brand works best. It's cheap, don't worry. ;) Pump up your magnesium to 1600 ppm. ...

naesco
07-26-2012, 12:04 AM
So I'm having a terrible time controlling some algae. Not sure where it came from probably from my live rock or a frag that came in. I've been running a BRS GFO reactor for over 6 months with their high capacity GFO with no results other than killing off my chaeto. I think tuxedo urchin's are very cool and heard they really like all types of algae. Will a tuxedo urchin help in the control of dictyota algae?
My tank is just a couple months shy of 1 year old, and has been rock stable for the entire time. 77 gal DT (full reef, spa, lps and softies) with 80 gal sump and a remote 20 gal cube. Approx 150 gal total water volume. For live stock:
1 flame angel
1 Yellow eye Kole tang
2 occelaris clowns
2 schooling banner fish (rescues from a friends moving disaster)
1 starry blenny
1 sand sifting starfish
1 purple fire fish
1 green mandarin
1 2spot blenny
misc snails and hermits

The urchin or sea hare will not but either a naso tang or a brown tang will eat it all up.Neither are suitable for your small tank.
Ask your wife for permission to get the 180 or better yet surprise her.
She must be having a birthday,anniversary or something coming up