PDA

View Full Version : Bubble King Supermarin 250

Jaws
07-23-2012, 10:14 PM
My Bubble King doesn't seem to be performing at it's best these days and I'm wondering if anyone else can help me with their experience. It works great for a few days and then stops producing foam at a good rate down to almost nothing. Eventually it ends up overflowing after about a week to two weeks. I got a Vertex skimmer head cleaner and still nothing. I thought that would increase production but its almost seemed to slow it. I noticed that the lid for the collection cup doesn't give much clearance for foam to overflow, maybe 3/8 of an inch at best but that still doesn't seem to account for why it consistently overflows after a couple weeks. Any suggestions?

BlueTang<3
07-23-2012, 10:17 PM
Have you tried to clean out the silencer on the air intake I usually run water through mine then blow it out. I have 2 bubbleking supermarine 200's and when ours do this cleaning it will usually help.

Jaws
07-23-2012, 10:52 PM
I usually run hot water through the air intake once a week. That usually stops it from overflowing but I don't really understand why it seems to struggle with skimming after the first few days. I wouldn't think you should have to clean the air intake once every three days?

BlueTang<3
07-23-2012, 11:10 PM
Yeah that seems funny, the intake on the pump flute is clean also.

Jaws
07-24-2012, 12:05 AM
Yup

Jaws
07-25-2012, 02:42 AM
Anyone else recommend anything by any chance?

Bblinks
07-25-2012, 08:35 PM
I have removed the top of the silencer from the tube and ran the extension silicone hose that came with it originally to the outside of the sump. This way you won't get salt creep in the silencer and it has never acted up since.

I can take some pictures for you if you need. I have owned a couple of different bbk skimmer and it seem to have the same issue with the silencer clogging up with dried salt water and it start to slowly sucking in water into the pump until it cloggs competely.

Let me know how it goes.

Jaws
07-25-2012, 09:03 PM
Where would you buy longer tubing to run it outside the sump area?

Jaws
07-25-2012, 09:05 PM
I bought it used without an extension unfortunately.

albert_dao
07-25-2012, 09:17 PM
Pull the impeller out and check if the head or shaft twist from the magnet. They shouldn't.

Bblinks
07-25-2012, 09:23 PM
You can use any aquarium hose that has the same diameter, I think its 1/2" or greenline hose for some silicone hose. It's harder to get the clear ones but its an overkill.

Jaws
07-25-2012, 11:08 PM
You can use any aquarium hose that has the same diameter, I think its 1/2" or greenline hose for some silicone hose. It's harder to get the clear ones but its an overkill.

Great. Thanks very much.

Albert: Do you think that could still be the case if it performs well for a couple days and then production slows down?

albert_dao
07-26-2012, 12:34 AM
The order that it slows down may just coincidental. The alternate pattern is that it could act really crappy then start behaving properly again.

Either way, I'd check it out.

I made a video about this a while back:

http://vimeo.com/19262381 (Around the 2:25 mark)

Jaws
08-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Everything looks good with the pump. Anyone know if the silencer can be taken apart and if so, does it unscrew or pop apart? I think that might be the culprit.

Skimmerking
08-14-2012, 05:29 PM
take the air silencer and pour hot water into it then shake it around and then blow into it to get it some what dry.

Jaws
08-14-2012, 06:51 PM
Ok perfect. Wasn't sure if there was anything else inside there that could get damaged from doing so. Thanks for your help.