PDA

View Full Version : taking the plunge to LED shortly

Skimmerking
07-23-2012, 03:11 PM
Well some thought went into this thinking about what to do.
Summrer months
Hot summer, AC tank is stable no AC tank unstable.
to much Temp flux
need a chiller

on Winter time
temp stable somewhat
dont need a chiller

anyways I have been looking for a chiller either the person was Well i wont get into it.
or they couldn't ship
or it was sold.

I have a profilux controller and still not hooked up. I CANT SPEAK.
LED's

RADION's 800 bucks athe hood comes off or cut a hole in the top and run the LED's that way.
SOL's 500 Bucks Same as for the Sol

RETRO RSM 250 - 599 build into the hood, I hope that the fans is used to run the LED's. plus i need a adapter for the LEd's too since i have a profilux.

Reef brite are like 800- are they any good.

Borderjumper
07-23-2012, 03:17 PM
I will be following this thread with interest, as I'm thinking of doing the LED thing too. I was thinking of cutting out a square and mounting a Radion, but the fan on the Radion is on the bottom and with the hood I'm worried it won't get sufficient air flow. maybe a fixture that has the fan mounted on the top would be better? I won't go without my hood, as I have too many jumpers in there.

Aquattro
07-23-2012, 03:20 PM
Shelley, the AI has the fan on top.

MKLKT
07-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Well, depending on what your house ambient temperature is you may or may not see a big effect if you switch lighting. RSM and Biocubes have closed hoods; therefore, if you can get better airflow/fan over the water's surface you may see significant cooling. In the winter you may WANT the hood to be closed because of this reason.

PS You can get a SOL for $400 shipped.

Skimmerking
07-23-2012, 03:33 PM
I will be following this thread with interest, as I'm thinking of doing the LED thing too. I was thinking of cutting out a square and mounting a Radion, but the fan on the Radion is on the bottom and with the hood I'm worried it won't get sufficient air flow. maybe a fixture that has the fan mounted on the top would be better? I won't go without my hood, as I have too many jumpers in there.
Shelley we should buy together on what ever it is. May be we can get a discount. I do have jumpers that i need my hood. Looking at the hood it wouldn't be hard to dremel out a hole for a LED.
However what type of temps are you having Shelley?
what are you using for Pumps for water movement in the chambers?

Borderjumper
07-23-2012, 03:38 PM
Shelley, the AI has the fan on top.
I'm leaning towards that and would prolly have to use two, as it's a 3' tank with a depth of about 22". Plus get some kind of controller.. I'm finding it hard to justify spending a grand on lighting, when the stock isn't that bad with ATI bulbs is pretty good. Taking out the POS skimmer and replacing one of the circ pumps with an eheim cut my heat issues way down.

Aquattro
07-23-2012, 03:55 PM
I'm leaning towards that and would prolly have to use two, as it's a 3' tank with a depth of about 22". Plus get some kind of controller.. I'm finding it hard to justify spending a grand on lighting, when the stock isn't that bad with ATI bulbs is pretty good. Taking out the POS skimmer and replacing one of the circ pumps with an eheim cut my heat issues way down.

Ya, probably need 2. There's a controller here for 60 bucks, last I saw. However, if the heat isn't an issue, for the money, I'd maybe stay with the T5...

Skimmerking
07-23-2012, 03:57 PM

Well that is what im going to do with mine i have turned off the recirculating pump its a RED sea its a heat pig and my return is also a Red sea so I think that im getting heat issues from both being on.

so i will need to change that outwhat s good return pump that is not alot of GPH and no heat.