PDA

View Full Version : Nano Question

RobbAdams
04-02-2004, 09:40 PM
Hey all, I have been doing a little research on these Nano systems, and it seems like a neat idea! I have a couple of small tanks I used for grow out when i was still keeping africans. they are probably in the 25 gallon range. I also have a couple of old aquaclears 500's I think, that I left in my folks garage, when I upgraded to the ehiem. With a filter as large as the 500 would I still need the powerheads? also what type of lighting would you reccomend? I would like to keep the price as low a possible, but would still like to keep growth reasonable. MH seems like overkill on a setup like this as these are shallow tanks, less than 12". I am not really interested in keeping fish, just some shrimp or something. Also where can a guy source some of those "Pods" (little critters that look like bugs crawling around in the bottom of my uncles tank).

Robb

Delphinus
04-03-2004, 04:17 AM
You might still want powerheads if using the aquaclears but you might not. I'd start with the aquaclear and see how you like it. Kind of depends on what direction you go with the tank. But the aquaclears are awesome for a little surface agitation.

Lighting .. again ... kind of depends on what you hope to keep in the long run. A small single halide would work awesome, but certainly not a necessity (although I'd put halides over any of my tanks .. I love the look of a halide lit tank). You could look into a 70W halide or a 150w halide, or a 175. It actually wouldn't be all that overkill.... But PC's, or fluorescents (NO or VHO), also very decent lighting setups.

You could look into a cleaner shrimp, a fire shrimp, peppermints or a coral banded, I think they would do fine in a tank like that (not all together though .. pick one kind.) Or ... oooh !! I know, a species setup for a peacock mantis. (Just watch the fingers!!! They don't call them thumbsplitters for fun :razz: But beautiful creatures!!)

Oh and the pods. If you get liverock in there, you will eventually get the copepods, decapods, isopods, etc. They just come in on the rock.

Hope this helps!!

RobbAdams
04-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Ok, Whew that was a lot of information!! :confused: Lets start with what I would need to obtain first! Lighting, and live rock. For lighting, I hate buying this stuff at the LFS, as you can imagine, every set up I have ever had doing FW stuff, I built my own hood and lighting from Home depot stuff, however I don't think they carry MH lighting, any good cheap sources for this stuff? Is a 70Watt MH a common size? I assume it would be simular to setting up a NO system, there is some sort of ballast, a light receptical, and a bulb. with quite simple wiring. would a glass top interfere with the light? I am afraid to have light exposed to the water :eek:

As for live rock, 1lb/ gallon would be sufficient to get things rolling correct? Where is the prefered source here in calgary? I also believe there were a couple of posters on here in my neighbourhood (Misson) Perhaps one of you would be willing to part with a scoop or two of substrate to help kickstart the cycling process? :mrgreen:

IslandReefer
04-07-2004, 10:47 AM
Hey Robb,
I am working on a similar project, for my 15 nano. Here is a thread from the nano board, converting the AQ500 into a nano's refugium. You should be able to use some of it for your purposes:
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread.php?s=ac46018408ddc210789b98f439b56c24&threadid=16635&highlight=refug

Also KrackerG, one of the nano DIY guys, has several inexpensive MH convertions, 70w,150DE etc. eg:
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24893

I found some of the same info also on reefs.org, esp. using a Home depot pendant (Raven model ? about $30) conveted to 70w MH.
Good luck
:cool:

Bob I
04-07-2004, 03:29 PM
To begin with Robb, there is absolutely no need for MH on a small nano. I have run nanos for quite some time, and have never used anything but PC lighting.
At the present time I have a converted 11G Tropiquarium 55. The original owner converted the top to hold 2X28W PC's. (I will be combining my 20G high tank and that 11G nano into a 33G cube at the end of this week, so some things will be for sale) That was a shameless plug.. That system also uses a Fluval 204 to provide circulation.
Some folks also use old incandescent tops and use screw in PC bulbs which are self ballasted, and a nice option. :mrgreen:

RobbAdams
04-07-2004, 04:01 PM
So people are taking the "Guts" out of the "Halogen" shoplights, and just buying a 10,000K Bulb? If so the ones I have seen in the Revy flyer are 500watts :eek: I guess I will have to look more closely into what they are useing.

RobbAdams
04-07-2004, 05:10 PM
Bob are you talking about those bulbs that look like a corkscrew? :confused: Are those even close to the Spectrum I would need? I really just want to grow polyps and mushrooms.

What will you be unloading???? :mrgreen:

Quinn
04-07-2004, 05:22 PM
No need for halides if all you want is mushrooms (corallimorpharians), polyps (actinarias) and zoanthids . Bob will elaborate, I am sure.

Bob I
04-07-2004, 05:29 PM
Bob are you talking about those bulbs that look like a corkscrew? :confused: Are those even close to the Spectrum I would need? I really just want to grow polyps and mushrooms.

What will you be unloading???? :mrgreen:

Yes those bulbs are available with 6500K. Not in the hardware store, but in the LFS, and Quickgrow etc. :eek:

I will be unloading the entire 11G nano setup, and a 20G high, ansd more things I have not thought about yet. :biggrin:

RobbAdams
04-07-2004, 06:24 PM
OK, I think I have the lighting issue under control. I'm pretty sure I have an old incandecent strip at home holds 2 bulbs. :cool: Now for the live rock. I have really only been to riverfront and big al's, and neither of those places' rock looked very "Live" any suggestions for where to source some high quality rock here in calgary? How about the live sand? I have seen bags of sand that claim to be live, but they are dry? :confused: seems to me Dry cannot equal live.

Bob I
04-08-2004, 01:18 AM
OK, I think I have the lighting issue under control. I'm pretty sure I have an old incandecent strip at home holds 2 bulbs. :cool: Now for the live rock. I have really only been to riverfront and big al's, and neither of those places' rock looked very "Live" any suggestions for where to source some high quality rock here in calgary? How about the live sand? I have seen bags of sand that claim to be live, but they are dry? :confused: seems to me Dry cannot equal live.

Glad to hear about the lights. I paid $25.00 for a 15W and the 25W are more expensive. I believe they are less than $15.00 at Quickgrow. As to rock, Ocean Aquarium and Pets usually have nice rock, and only $8.99/lb for cured, and $6.99/lb for uncured. Don't bother getting "Live sand" that is a load of crap. Just get some Aragonite sand, and get a scoop of live sand from a neighboring reefer. :rolleyes:

RobbAdams
04-08-2004, 02:35 PM
OK, I read somewhere that cured rock has less life than un-cured rock. But you have a much longer cycling process with un cured rock. Since this is going to be a brand new set-up, which route is better.

Is there a different process for starting up a new set up with cured Vs Uncured rock?

Buccaneer
04-08-2004, 11:16 PM
OK, I read somewhere that cured rock has less life than un-cured rock. But you have a much longer cycling process with un cured rock. Since this is going to be a brand new set-up, which route is better.

Is there a different process for starting up a new set up with cured Vs Uncured rock?

Go with the uncured rock and get Gold to match J&L's price of 5.05/lb to 6.00/lb for Fiji rock ... it takes a bit longer to cycle with uncured rock but you do get more " stuff " ... dont worry about the live sand as it will become live from the bacteria and bugs off of the live rock ... get some good test kits to monitor the cycle ( ammonia/nitrite/nitrate ) then when things get going and the tank matures get some more kits ( Calcium/Alk/Magnesium )

Bob I
04-10-2004, 02:15 AM

Go with the uncured rock and get Gold to match J&L's price of 5.05/lb to 6.00/lb for Fiji rock ... it takes a bit longer to cycle with uncured rock but you do get more " stuff " ... dont worry about the live sand as it will become live from the bacteria and bugs off of the live rock ... get some good test kits to monitor the cycle ( ammonia/nitrite/nitrate ) then when things get going and the tank matures get some more kits ( Calcium/Alk/Magnesium )

Come on, we are talking about a nano here. :rolleyes:

StirCrazy
04-10-2004, 02:52 AM

yup and all the more reason to get uncured as you can easily cure it using water changes to keep ammonia,nitrite and nitrate under control. this will allow you a good chance to keep more life.

the problem I have with buying cured rock is it is hard to find it with lots of life and all the neat hitch hikers are usually left at the store in the curing tank.

Steve

Buccaneer
04-10-2004, 05:38 AM

What's your point ? :confused:

fortheloveofcrabs
05-26-2004, 02:01 AM
Okay, not to go back to a dead horse, but this got under my skin a little bit and nobody else said a thing...

To begin with Robb, there is absolutely no need for MH on a small nano. I have run nanos for quite some time, and have never used anything but PC lighting.

To quote Bob.... Whadaya mean there is 'no need'. Is that not a little too general?

Besides, just because you have never used halides does not mean that they are no good for nano's. One reefer once said, in reguards to the question 'how much light is too much', "Have you ever looked at the sun?"

EmilyB
05-26-2004, 02:07 AM
Bob's already been under our skin, so it was your turn.... :lol: :razz: