PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! RE: AquaStik Epoxy Putty

marblesab
07-20-2012, 02:55 AM
Ok, I picked up this stuff the other day (AquaStik Epoxy Putty by Two Little Fishies) I followed the directions to a T.... cut a piece off, kneaded it until it was soft (chewed gum consistency, lol) and put it on the piece of coral I wanted to stick down (to the back glass of my tank) and.... waited. I let it go a few minutes later and..... it didn't stick. I thought "Ok, maybe I didn't hold it long enough." So I held it a bit longer...... it stuck! For about 2 minutes then fell off again. This time when I touched the putty it was almost rock hard. I pealed it of and threw it out.

So my question is... how do I make this stuff stick? Is there something I'm missing? Am I doing something wrong? Or did I listen to the wrong person and get the wrong stuff?! LOL:redface:

thanks in advance of any helpful tips or tricks! (or advice!)

Dawn

Aquattro
07-20-2012, 03:00 AM
It isn't supposed to stick, it's putty :) It's meant to wedge the frag/putty ball into a wedge in your rock work.

marblesab
07-20-2012, 03:04 AM
Thanks Brad!

Ah, well crap, I got the wrong stuff.

Does anyone have any suggestions what I should get?

Aquattro
07-20-2012, 03:05 AM
To stick to the glass? Magnets. People use cheap mag cleaners or special magnetic frag mounts. I have a large tunze magnet with a rock strapped to it stuck to my back glass. But I don't think you'll get away with any kind of sticky stuff.

Nano
07-20-2012, 03:21 AM
I've used the super glue gel for a few things, with success. It does take a few tries to get it to hold, but when if it does, all you have to do is wait for it to encrust itself to the glass after that :P

Aquattro
07-20-2012, 03:30 AM
I've used the super glue gel for a few things, with success. It does take a few tries to get it to hold, but when if it does, all you have to do is wait for it to encrust itself to the glass after that :P

Pretty sure a quick bump with anything would know that off though, I've had stuff encrusting to the glass that just fell one day :)

Nano
07-20-2012, 03:35 AM
lol not in my case, I went to move my red monti the other day to "change things up"... cant get it off, I ended up braking it :( but its still on there!

wait I forgot mines on acrylic :P this could make a difference!!! :lol:

if you had some way of roughing up the surface of the glass you wanted it on, thats what I did to the acrylic on my overflow, this probably is why I cant get it off!

marblesab
07-20-2012, 03:43 AM
Ok, I'm not going to be defeated but this darn putty. I've decided to try and stick it to a suction cup, THEN stick it to the glass that way.

Wish me luck!

marblesab
07-20-2012, 04:53 AM
Ok, it didn't want to stick that way either, I give up! (at least for tonight....)

apexifd
07-20-2012, 07:47 PM
I have fairly good luck sticking sps frag on the overflow with milliput. should work for glass as well, probably sticks better with coraline algae growing on the glass.

pinhead
07-20-2012, 08:19 PM
I've never tried using epoxy putty to stick a frag to glass, but this technique works 100% of the time in attaching frags to rock.

Dry off the base of the frag and apply a large glob of gel super glue (no need for brand names - only $1 at my local dollar store).

Place your ball of epoxy in the super glue and put some more glue on top of the epoxy making a superglue/epoxy/superglue sandwich.

Place your frag where you want it mounted and press down to flatten out the epoxy and superglue onto both surfaces. The superglue sticks very well to the epoxy and sets quickly. As soon as the epoxy sets, you should have a strong bond.

I've tried just epoxy or just superglue and they don't hold compared to combining them

MKLKT
07-20-2012, 08:26 PM
The epoxy putty is 'decent' for rough surfaces but requires time to cure. It would be useless on glass, especially if done while the tank is wet, you could *maybe* get it to work while dry. As much as the adhesive methods say they can be done in water it only sorta works. The method listed above is pretty much the best you'll get until the frag encrusts the base.

jtbadco
07-20-2012, 09:16 PM
Milliput aquacape epoxy will stick anything to anything. Ive used it to attach frags to glass. J and L sells it

apexifd
07-20-2012, 09:28 PM
Milliput aquacape epoxy will stick anything to anything. Ive used it to attach frags to glass. J and L sells it

yup... have been using it for a while. take a while to cure, but, once cure it holds quite well.

marblesab
07-21-2012, 06:06 AM
Thanks guys for our help! I bought some other glue today at my LFS so I'll give that a go.

I have some GSP that I would like to have on the back glass (I seen it in someone else's tank and it looks very cool) so I was trying to do something similar.