PDA

View Full Version : marine velvet

lpsreefer
07-18-2012, 01:55 AM
My predotor tank just got marine velvet. the first time I didn't qt a fish. so upset I lost my masked swallow angel and hogfish. my trigger has it but seems to be okay he is in qt now.
I was just wondering what the sereval rate is? he still eat and swims around like nothings wrong. the other two stop eating. they didn't even last 12 hours where the trigger has gone on for over a week.
second question if I keep the tank fishless and rub a uv for 8 weeks well I get it out of my system? or do I have to qt all my corals and live rock? and scrub te tank down?

Aquattro
07-18-2012, 04:49 AM
Leaving the tank for 8 weeks without fish is enough. The trigger may or may not be fine. I lost all but one fish, a small goby. It survived weeks in the infected tank before I caught it and treated it. Some fish can build an immunity to it...if the trigger was exposed previously in the wild or in transport, but not fatally, it could have resistance to the protozoan.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-18-2012, 04:54 AM
Very low survival rate. Marine velvet is like the black plague of sw fishkeeping. Many horror stories out there.

lpsreefer
07-18-2012, 05:02 AM
he's been in qt for three days and it seem to be getting better. but it's still early
I did a 3 minute fresh water dip before transporting him in qt. he trust me a lot I don't need a net for him. he plays with my hand all the time. I've had him a while.

Aquattro
07-18-2012, 05:17 AM
FW dips are almost useless. You really should treat it before putting it back in the main tank, as it may be a carrier, and reinfect your tank after you leave it for 8 weeks. I know, it sucks.
Treatment with either copper or chloroquine phosphate is best.

lpsreefer
07-18-2012, 05:56 AM
I got him in copper treatment
I know the drill with a lot of parasites and stuff I've had to treat.
this is a first for velvet.

Leah
07-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Marine velvet is not fun...and why Qting new livestock is worth the effort. Learned the hard way and it is heartbreaking...

Aquattro
07-18-2012, 01:19 PM
I got him in copper treatment
I know the drill with a lot of parasites and stuff I've had to treat.
this is a first for velvet.

Good. So 7 or 8 weeks on the main tank, and you should be good to restock.

Skimmerking
07-18-2012, 02:04 PM
good luck man I lost pretty much my whole tank including several special fish. like a 10 yr old Kole tang

lpsreefer
07-24-2012, 08:22 AM
After 19 days of having visible sign of marine velvet my trigger past away.
He was it copper treatment for the last 8 days.
He went out fighting but his one gill got to badly infected.
He well be missed.
Please qt all fish. I let it slip once and paid the ultimate price.

daniella3d
07-25-2012, 03:09 AM
I always do a QT on everything and I always tell everyone to do a proper QT but the problem is...usually NOBODY listen until they get it and lose all their fish and then they finally understand.

After 19 days of having visible sign of marine velvet my trigger past away.
He was it copper treatment for the last 8 days.
He went out fighting but his one gill got to badly infected.
He well be missed.
Please qt all fish. I let it slip once and paid the ultimate price.

Aquattro
07-25-2012, 03:55 AM
...usually NOBODY listen until they get it and lose all their fish and then they finally understand.

Something we agree on!! :razz:

gregzz4
07-25-2012, 04:34 AM
Something we agree on!! :razz:
+1
Quarantine is a MUST