PDA

View Full Version : Where to get Chiller fixed??

LeanneP
07-17-2012, 08:02 PM
I have a chiller that I bought second hand (first mistake, although new stuff I have bought hasn't worked either!). It is a Sea Line SL-150A and I have noticed that it doesn't seem to keep the temp properly. The temp doesn't change quickley enough as the temperature goes up in my tank when the lights are on. I then have to put it on manually.
Does anyone know who would be able to fix the thermostat for me in a chiller locally without having to send it away. I am in Kelowna.

Leanne P

gregzz4
07-17-2012, 09:15 PM
Before you send it away ...

Sorry if you've been through this already :wink:

Sometimes it's just a matter of settings, plumbing and the pump rating
I see online it's suggested to run a pump of between 200 and 350 gph
If your pump is larger than that, it will take a very long time to cool down your tank as the water isn't being chilled much

If you haven't already been through this, I have these questions;

What flow do you estimate you have running through it
How long does it take to turn on once it hits the set temp
What hysterisis do you have set

LeanneP
07-17-2012, 11:57 PM
Hi Greg,
I have the chiller hooked up to a canister filter. Have had a hell of a time trying to get the filter to work right and I finally took it back and they gave me a new one. Hoping this one works better than the last. The flow is 350 gph and I have the chiller set at 78 degrees and it should kick in at 2 degrees higher at 80 degrees. The chiller itself works because if I manually set the temp higher once it has gone up, it kicks in and cools it. However, even when my flow rate was really slow when my filter wasn't working right it still didn't seem to give me the correct temp. I would love to get this fixed as it would make it so much easier if I could just have my lights programed to come on and off so any input would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Leanne P
Before you send it away ...

Sorry if you've been through this already :wink:

Sometimes it's just a matter of settings, plumbing and the pump rating
I see online it's suggested to run a pump of between 200 and 350 gph
If your pump is larger than that, it will take a very long time to cool down your tank as the water isn't being chilled much

If you haven't already been through this, I have these questions;

What flow do you estimate you have running through it
How long does it take to turn on once it hits the set temp
What hysterisis do you have set

gregzz4
07-18-2012, 12:09 AM
What canister is it ?
Of course, you have the chiller inline after the canister, right ?
How many feet of hose is there in total ?
Are the canister and chiller both on the floor ? Ie lowest point ? Asking this to determine head pressure etc
Is the chiller in your tank stand, or beside the tank ?
What's your room temp ?

gregzz4
07-18-2012, 12:23 AM
The flow is 350 gph and I have the chiller set at 78 degrees and it should kick in at 2 degrees higher at 80 degrees
Ok, so less than 350 gph and I assume you mean your hysterisis is 2 degrees
We'll work on this setting later, after we get it running right

it still didn't seem to give me the correct temp
You may still need to set the Pd, or a similar code
If you hold the set button for, maybe, ten seconds or so, it will give you access to the initial temp and hysterisis settings
Mine reads Pd ( or ca, I had 2 chillers with different codes ) for temp calibration, and d for the hysterisis ( temp to run on and off ), not to be confused with the actual temp control setting

So,
Pd ( ca ) is temp calibration to your water
d is the hysterisis ( how much cooling variance you want )
xx degrees is your set temp

What readout do you get when you hold the set button for 10 or seconds ?
Mine starts with Pd, and if I press the set again, I get the d

gregzz4
07-18-2012, 12:29 AM
PM sent
Lets talk about the settings outside your thread :rolleyes: , just in case you do need to get it fixed and someone may tell you where