PDA

View Full Version : Planning to buy a T5-HO Dual Lamp Fixture

mrhasan
07-17-2012, 05:22 AM
Hello,

I am planning to get a Coralife Aqualight T5-HO Dual Lamp Fixture (2x31W) for my 20L tank. I was just wondering whether it will heat up my water. Currently, I maintain mine at 78F and have no coral (just two clowns, a brittle and a chocolate chip star). Will the temperature hit above 78F with this fixture?

Alongside, I run my light for 10hours daily. Will this hit the electricity bill badly? Because I live in a rented student home and really don't want that :P

Thanks

Enigma
07-18-2012, 11:27 PM
If you're looking at a two bulb fixture, check out these:
http://www.hagen.com/pdf/aquatic/GLO-T5-Lighting-Program-EN.pdf

I do think the Coralife unit is built a bit better (i have one) but it doesn't have particularly good bulbs. The Hagen one doesn't come with bulbs (I picked up 39 watt dual bulb today for $129.99 @ Pisces). So, if you want to purchase quality bulbs the Hagen might be the way to go. If you're content to use the Coralife bulbs, I do think it is the better fixture of the two. I've personally replaced all of my Coralife bulbs with APi bulbs.

It won't impact your electricity bill too badly: 5-10 bucks a month or so (but I advise you do the math and determine this for yourself . . . I did the calculation in March, and the rates may be quite different now). You can offset the power consumption by turning off your computer when you're not using it (that alone could save you almost $15 a month), and unplugging your cellphone and other chargers from the wall when not in use (they use electricity even when the device isn't charging off them).

I can tell you that the qt tanks these fixtures are on are in my bungalow's dark basement. The heat generated from the bulbs does not negatively impact the water temperature under the conditions I'm using them in. Your mileage may vary. ;)

mrhasan
07-18-2012, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the awesome suggestion :D

But I actually got the coralife for an awesome deal from a guy (with relatively new bulb) and since I am an student, I have to resort to that.

I think it will be within $6-$10 for my bulbs so no biggy. I just didn't want any "significant" rise as that might cause my landlord to shut down my aquarium :P

I moved from regular fluorescent to this and the lighting is just MIND BLOWING. Didn't expect this much change!

tang daddy
07-19-2012, 07:22 PM
FYI but you should have gone for a Hagen glo as they are far more superior in quality... I run both fixtures and can say the Hagen glo is 3x better than the coralife, the reflectors bounce more light.

Since owning my coralife t5ho which I have 2 both ballast burnt out shortly after a year, good thing they sell replacement ballasts for $40....

My Hagen glo has never burnt the ballast out....2yrs and still running strong....

Anyhow like you said you are a student and that's all you can afford for now, fingers crossed the ballast last you longer than both my new coralife!

mrhasan
07-19-2012, 07:25 PM
Got them for $60 (with two relatively new bulbs) and so if it runs for a year or so would be good enough and maybe after than I can afford a better lighting....maybe an LED fixture :D

Ross
07-19-2012, 08:39 PM
My Hagen glo has never burnt the ballast out....2yrs and still running strong....

One of my 36" fixtures ballasts burnt out around at a year and a half old and hagen fixed it in under a week.
They replaced the whole unit.

Either way, enjoy your new lights.
$60 is a decent price.