PDA

View Full Version : hole in head contagious?

mytank90
07-16-2012, 10:46 PM
hello on friday night i found a someone selling there fish realy cheap on craigslist .when i stoped bye they had 6 or 7 fairly big fish in a 33 gallon tank and most fish i could see had hole in head or lateral line .there was 1 fish i realy like that was hiding in tank so i bought it .before i put him into tank do i need worry about hole in head being trasferd into my tank ?right now the angle is eating everthing i put into his hospital tank

Leah
07-16-2012, 10:50 PM
No, but what a sad scene.

mytank90
07-16-2012, 11:34 PM
ya they had a blue face and a empire angle both with hole in head .they looked gross but i see no sighs of it on the other angle they had

reefermadness
07-16-2012, 11:58 PM
Its environmental......basically the fish are living in a poor environment which brings on HLLE. It can actual reverse itself in the right environment.....or so I have read since Ive never owned a fish with this disease.

Coralgurl
07-17-2012, 12:11 AM
We had an oscar with hole in the head and did everything we could to heal it. It never did but at times seemed better. It also moved around the fish's head. Had him for over 5 years before he died. He was in the tank with 2 pleckos and they were not affected.

naesco
07-17-2012, 01:28 AM
hello on friday night i found a someone selling there fish realy cheap on craigslist .when i stoped bye they had 6 or 7 fairly big fish in a 33 gallon tank and most fish i could see had hole in head or lateral line .there was 1 fish i realy like that was hiding in tank so i bought it .before i put him into tank do i need worry about hole in head being trasferd into my tank ?right now the angle is eating everthing i put into his hospital tank

Report the loser to the S.P.C.A.

Myka
07-17-2012, 03:40 AM
HLLE is not contagious. Fish can recover from the condition, but are often left with scars. Coming from poor conditions I would suggest you keep the new fish in your hospital tank for a good 6 week minimum quarantine. Heaven forbid should it bring something into your tank that IS contagious!

mytank90
07-17-2012, 04:44 AM
because most off the fish they had had hole they sold me a gold flake angle for 50 $ .is there any stuff i can buy to fight hole in head incase this guy has it?hes eating myis right now that i soak in garlic extreme

Myka
07-17-2012, 11:32 AM
If the Goldflake has it, you would see it. The treatment is the same as the prevention. Keep good water quality, provide a big a variety of quality food (homemade frozen foods as usually the best you can find), and don't use carbon continuously (just use it for a day to take the yellow out of the water). Carbon is known to make instances of HLLE worse. See if you can find someone in Calgary that makes homemade frozen food. I make it, but I don't think shipping to you would be worth your while.