PDA

View Full Version : Die-off from Loctite Gel...

Quinn
04-01-2004, 06:29 PM
How much die-off are you people getting on frags when using Loctite Gel or any other super glue for that matter? I made some birdsnest frags last night and by this morning they're all missing huge quantities of tissue. I doubt they'll make it and I suspect the glue. I don't know why I keep having problems with this particular coral.

Canadian Man
04-01-2004, 06:56 PM
I usually experience no die off above the glued portion.

Quinn
04-01-2004, 06:58 PM
Dunno, this coral is way too picky.

Aquattro
04-01-2004, 07:07 PM
I usually experience no die off above the glued portion.

Same here.

Delphinus
04-01-2004, 08:03 PM
I've had problems with the two-part epoxy (particularly the grey stuff you can sometimes get, not the green/white stuff), but I can't think of anytime I've had a problem with the gel. Unless maybe the coral was somehow stressed to begin with ... but I can't think of any specific instance. Sorry ... and good luck.

Stretch
04-02-2004, 01:05 AM
All my super glued frags do fine after glueing

StirCrazy
04-02-2004, 02:15 AM
I only notice a slight ring of die off directly above the glue.. maybe 1 mm of die off around the frag.. but it quickly grows over this again.

Steve

mnoll406
04-02-2004, 05:40 AM
Hey Quinn,
I have the same coral, and have used the same glue with no negative effects.

Mike

Quinn
04-02-2004, 06:04 AM
I've been having troubles with this one ever since that M. digitata frag fell into it. The original colony had to be split in two. One half is doing fabulous and is easily as large as the original was before I split it. The other half was doing alright and is where I got these frags. I am wondering now if it was in fact the proximity of the frags to several other corals in my frag cage (within perhaps half an inch of an M. capricornis frag and several Acropora sp. [A. valida] frags). I've moved two of the three S. hystrix frags into a corner of the tank where they're alone and left one in the frag cage. The tissue loss on all three seems to have halted, we'll see how they look in the morning. Previously my cleaner shrimps have consumed dead tissue from this coral and if they do so again, it could lead to the demise of the frags. Regardless, I have more I can frag so no big deal.