PDA

View Full Version : GFO and macro algea

knickle22
07-16-2012, 08:40 PM
I am running a phosban reactor in my sump and i am wondering if i can keep mangroves or cheato? or well the gfo just starve the macro algea.
I dont have a problem with PO4 or NO3 thanks to the phosban but just want some macro algea to get more pods.
anybody here try to run both with failure or success?

molotov
07-16-2012, 08:47 PM
tagging along. That's a very good question. I'm currently running GFO and Cheato but didn't think if the GFO would starve the Cheato.

reefwars
07-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Both are fine, nitrates are what keeps cheato and other macros alive IMO, gfo does nothing for nitrates. I run gfo and I have several types of maco and mangroves. My phosphate is nil and I target my nitrate for 10ppm:)

reefwars
07-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Nitrates in small amounts are great for corals phosphate is to hard to target so 0 is the goal.if you can't target nitrates go for zero.macro doesn't grow well in ulns systems:)

badAZZlars
07-16-2012, 09:31 PM
I run gfo and chaeto and the chaeto grows fine. Phosphates zero and nitrates just above 1. It grows so well that I usually throw away a soccer ball sizes lump every few months.

Snaz
07-16-2012, 10:18 PM
I know it is time to replace my GFO when my cheato starts to grow quickly so it certainly affects how well it grows.

whatcaneyedo
07-16-2012, 11:37 PM
Chaeto and gracillaria stopped growing for me because I use GFO. Right around the time I took this picture is when it happened, I was using 1 cup each month. You can see that some of the strands are pink because coraline algae is growing on them. Beneath the surface there was nearly as much sponge as algae growth within this ball. I ended up giving most of it away and the little bit that I kept disappeared shortly after.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh109/whatcaneyedo/coralinechaeto.jpg