PDA

View Full Version : Any interest in a mega tank

Mike-fish
07-15-2012, 09:47 PM
This tank is custom built beast the dimensions are 6'x6'x32". it has a center overflow that is roughly 2'x2' It should clear the door on edge ( I think) the tank is setup as fresh water and has two massive pachu ( if I remember right) each are well clear of 2' long each. This tank would need to be moved in the middle of the night before August 1. So the obvious question is how much for this beast it's really simple obo no low ballers and serious offers only. Link to photos http://s1164.photobucket.com/albums/q569/mike-words/tank%20for%20sale/
I'm selling this for my sisters former boss

whatcaneyedo
07-15-2012, 09:51 PM
"This is a Private Album

Please enter the password from album mike-words to view this private album."

Mike-fish
07-15-2012, 09:52 PM
whoops ill retry that

Mike-fish
07-15-2012, 09:56 PM
it should work this time
http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q569/mike-words/tank%20for%20sale/c8c2a500.jpg
http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q569/mike-words/tank%20for%20sale/774fd988.jpg
http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q569/mike-words/tank%20for%20sale/008aafbd.jpg
http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q569/mike-words/tank%20for%20sale/481fbff4.jpg
http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q569/mike-words/tank%20for%20sale/a03d3054.jpg

MarkoD
07-16-2012, 12:14 AM
you need a base price of what youre expecting to get.

Mike-fish
07-16-2012, 12:17 AM
Talked some more with the owner looking for $ 5000 obo

Mike-fish
07-16-2012, 12:37 AM
Tank was built in place but should fit out the door on edge it's the buyers own risk to move it out that way

Aquattro
07-16-2012, 01:27 AM
Does it come with the stand, the guts underneath? what kind of plumbing and gear comes with it, etc, are all things people might want to know.

Mike-fish
07-16-2012, 01:45 AM
comes with the stand you see their is an internal steel frame work as well
sump, pumps, filters, and basic florescent lights (not used in pics) then some miscellaneous items

Mike-fish
07-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Bump

Dr_Hicks
07-16-2012, 06:22 PM
That tank come from Strathmore Alberta Smitty's ?

Looks awful familiar :lol:

Mike-fish
07-16-2012, 11:10 PM
That tank come from Strathmore Alberta Smitty's ?

Looks awful familiar :lol:

nope it from the Sherwood park smitty's

Mike-fish
07-17-2012, 04:21 AM
Bump had some interest waiting on responses

Mike-fish
07-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Bump to the top
Do you guys think the price range is about right?

globaldesigns
07-17-2012, 08:14 PM
Is that the tank from Smitty's or Ricky's (not sure of the restaurant name) on Macleod Trail in Calgary, sure does look like that.

Aquattro
07-17-2012, 08:20 PM
Is that the tank from Smitty's or Ricky's (not sure of the restaurant name) on Macleod Trail in Calgary, sure does look like that.

Post #12 says Sherwood Park Smitty's

globaldesigns
07-17-2012, 08:49 PM
Post #12 says Sherwood Park Smitty's

Sorry, missed that... I guess they have the exact same layout or premises and the same tank.

Ross
07-17-2012, 08:58 PM
A franchise will do that.

I thought it was the Sunridge Calgary Smitties personaly.

Madmak
07-17-2012, 09:11 PM
Do you guys think the price range is about right?

IMO it is priced quite high. There is a limited market for these big tanks and I find that a well equipped 90 or 120 gallon tank sells for more than a 180 gallon or bigger a lot of the time. A used 300 gallon setup can be found for under $1K.

That being said, a unique tank will fetch a unique price, good luck with the sale.

tt101
07-17-2012, 10:40 PM
is that you "posing" by the tank? hahahah and wow thats a pretty cool looking tank. i think its going to be a little hard to find a seller because of the obvious size although whoever gets it is going to be LUCKY AS HECK!!!!!
good luck with your sale!!

MarkoD
07-17-2012, 11:03 PM
The other thing to consider is how is anyone gonna get this into their house

Mike-fish
07-18-2012, 12:11 AM
is that you "posing" by the tank? hahahah and wow thats a pretty cool looking tank. i think its going to be a little hard to find a seller because of the obvious size although whoever gets it is going to be LUCKY AS HECK!!!!!
good luck with your sale!!

Nope a buddy he's 6' for reference

Mike-fish
07-18-2012, 12:12 AM
The other thing to consider is how is anyone gonna get this into their house

Simple split all the seams and away you go

Aquattro
07-18-2012, 04:57 AM
Simple split all the seams and away you go

If someone has to dismantle and rebuild it somewhere, the price is way off. Essentially it's worth the cost of used glass that size if it has to be reassembled. With the work cleaning the edges to re-silicone, the moving, etc, he's probably going to have to drop the price a lot.

Mike-fish
07-18-2012, 05:00 AM
If someone has to dismantle and rebuild it somewhere, the price is way off. Essentially it's worth the cost of used glass that size if it has to be reassembled. With the work cleaning the edges to re-silicone, the moving, etc, he's probably going to have to drop the price a lot.

Well what do you think would be a more reasonable price to be asking

reefwars
07-18-2012, 05:06 AM

to be honest i think 2500 could be got..... honestly theres a very select few who will throw 5000 on a tank in one shot, maybe if you offered a downpayment with payment plan for the rest it would get more hits or peek someones interest:) beautiful tank btw i hope it sells for the asking price it sux we put so much money into them but resale is rockbottom:(

Aquattro
07-18-2012, 05:12 AM

Not sure really. I guess he should just be open to any offers he gets, knowing there probably won't be a lot of offers.

Proreef has a couple of 4x6 frag tanks on steel stands that cost them about 5k, and he can't sell them at 10% of that. Realistically, a business is the most likely buyer, if it fits reasonably well with design plans for the business. Private buyers maybe, assuming they have a huge room or can dedicate their garage.
The selling feature is also it's downfall. It's huge, length and width.

And if I was going to assemble a tank in my garage that size, I'd buy new glass that didn't need cleaning or have any scratches, etc...The more custom a tank is, the harder it's going to be to sell. If time comes into it, that makes it even tougher.

gregzz4
07-18-2012, 06:39 AM
Just my 2 cents here

A list of the included equipment make and model #s may go a long way

Asking for a whack of money without details wouldn't entice me to spend hordes of cash on some glass and wood

I'm just sayin' ... :smile:

DAVE
07-18-2012, 12:05 PM

$1500 and maybe he will get some interest. Too many downfalls with a tank that size. For 5k I could get that same tank built on site in my house.

Aquattro is right, if I you need to take it apart, it is worth the price of used glass, minus labor, which means it has practically no value.

Enigma
07-18-2012, 12:30 PM
Tank was built in place but should fit out the door on edge it's the buyers own risk to move it out that way

That right there is scary. If the seller took the risk in moving the tank outside a higher price might be warranted. But, not even being 100% sure it will fit out the door . . . Who is going to be willing to take that risk?

Aquattro
07-18-2012, 01:18 PM
To be completely frank, since this is coming out of a business, any loss is a write off for the company and to clear space, he should have someone remove it. If he can get someone to take it for free, all the better.

The tank alone probably weighs 1000 pounds, nobody is going to move that in one piece :)
If there is anything decent for equipment underneath it, focus on selling that separately.

fishoholic
07-18-2012, 02:11 PM
To be completely frank, since this is coming out of a business, any loss is a write off for the company and to clear space, he should have someone remove it. If he can get someone to take it for free, all the better.

The tank alone probably weighs 1000 pounds, nobody is going to move that in one piece :)
If there is anything decent for equipment underneath it, focus on selling that separately.

+1 definitely focus on selling the equipment separately.

It's such a large tank that it's unlikely that many people would have the space for it. Then add in the taking it all apart and trying to move it, then reassemble it, well that's a lot of work. Honestly I've heard a few people say "I'd take it but they would have to pay me to move it".

I wish you the best of luck with the sale but realistically even if it was free I think most people would think twice about taking it because of the work involved to dismantle, move and reassemble it. Never mind the amount of space it takes up.

howdy20012002
07-18-2012, 02:53 PM
hmmm...I have space in my living room and I want a big reef tank.
however,
I personally think 5000 is way too high.
most people would never tackle a tank this size or even have the ability to move it without the help of a professional company..which add another few hundred if not over a thousand for that..plus you have put it back to together as well.
like it has been mentioned, you could probably get a new one built on site for around 5000.000 without having to raise a finger.
btw, do the fish come with it??
because I have no idea what I would do with 2 - 2 foot fish. (freshwater - eww..lol)
good luck with the sale
Neal

MarkoD
07-18-2012, 04:07 PM
My 500 dollar offer still stands if you can get it out the door in 1 piece

muck
07-18-2012, 09:53 PM
My 500 dollar offer still stands if you can get it out the door in 1 piece

Think you can fit that in the back of your ML450 Marko? :lol:

MarkoD
07-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Think you can fit that in the back of your ML450 Marko? :lol:

I sold the ml550 6 weeks ago. Have an Audi a4 now.

But my dad has a truck with a long box :)

Mike-fish
07-18-2012, 11:32 PM
Replacement cost is 17500
Comes with or without fish
You guys have comfirmed my own thoughts that I had passed on to the owner when he first told me the price
I will have to run this price by him but is 2500 more reasonable to be asking

gregzz4
07-19-2012, 12:58 AM
You still haven't told us anything specific about the included equipment

So, ya, $2500.00 is too much :wink:

Enigma
07-19-2012, 03:22 PM
It sounds as if the owner just really wants the thing gone, and in a pretty narrow time frame, too. Replacement cost doesn't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. Neither does the original cost.

The only cost that matters is what it is worth to someone else, and being that moving it is going to be a royal pain in the backside there isn't a whole lot of value there. If he can get rid of it without it costing him anything, I think that is the most he can hope for. Moving it, in one piece, would take several people, a flatdeck truck (or trailer), and potentially even a small picker.

Providing the equipment that goes with the tank is reasonable quality, a good option might be to offer the equipment for free (or a very reduced cost) to whoever is willing to get the tank out of the restaurant in the middle of the night before August 1st.

Aquattro
07-19-2012, 03:27 PM
It sounds as if the owner just really wants the thing gone, and in a pretty narrow time frame, too. Replacement cost doesn't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. Neither does the original cost.

The only cost that matters is what it is worth to someone else, and being that moving it is going to be a royal pain in the backside there isn't a whole lot of value there. If he can get rid of it without it costing him anything, I think that is the most he can hope for. Moving it, in one piece, would take several people, a flatdeck truck (or trailer), and potentially even a small picker.

Providing the equipment that goes with the tank is reasonable quality, a good option might be to offer the equipment for free (or a very reduced cost) to whoever is willing to get the tank out of the restaurant in the middle of the night before August 1st.

I have to agree with this!

Mike-fish
07-23-2012, 09:29 AM
I'm backing out of assiting to sell this tank. As the owner and I have had a bit of a falling out between us. That and I don't want to taint my own reputation over this tank.

tt101
07-23-2012, 10:11 AM
i think it will be way less complicated this way, there is obviously a communication issue going on so you should probably just let him deal with it on his own.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-23-2012, 11:26 AM
There was a nightclub in d/t Vancouver that had a much bigger, much nicer tank that they were trying to sell as they were renovating the place. It went from some really high price ($10000 I think) to being offered for free on the last night. I think in the end, waiting till the last minute before offering it for free to anybody who would pay the cost of removing the tank was a bad idea. They ended up smashing the tank to get it out of there "quickly" in little pieces if I remember correctly before the renos could start in the morning. My friend was trying to convince me to grab it that last night, but the tank was bigger than my vehicle.

MKLKT
07-23-2012, 03:13 PM
It's too bad as something like this requires significant lead-time, it's not exactly a car you can just drive off the lot.