PDA

View Full Version : ich - blue tang?

btymens
07-15-2012, 04:06 PM
Saturday my blue tang was fine, this morning when i went to feed him, his was covered in white spots which i looked into and it looks like ich. However in a span of 2 hours, most of the white spots have disappeared. So my question is to those of you who have dealt with this, is this ich or stress releated. I am a "newbie", I've had my tank for about 1 year now, so some sound advice would be nice
thanks

Megalodon
07-15-2012, 04:39 PM
It's could be both ich and stress related. Ich commonly present on wild-caught fish unless it's treated or the fish fights it off. Stressed fish allow the parasite to really take hold and flourish. If the fish is in your display tank it will have to go fallow for up to 12 weeks while the fish are treated in separate tanks (look into both hypo or tank transfer methods and decide which one is best for you). It's always a good idea to quarantine new fish before adding them to the display to avoid having to do this again in the future.

btymens
07-15-2012, 04:45 PM
It's could be both ich and stress related. Ich commonly present on wild-caught fish unless it's treated or the fish fights it off. Stressed fish allow the parasite to really take hold and flourish. If the fish is in your display tank it will have to go fallow for up to 12 weeks while the fish are treated in separate tanks (look into both hypo or tank transfer methods and decide which one is best for you). It's always a good idea to quarantine new fish before adding them to the display to avoid having to do this again in the future.

thanks, the only problem is if I put him quarantine the next biggest tank i have is a 20 gallon..so wouldn't that stress him out more to only cause more problems?

Megalodon
07-15-2012, 04:47 PM
thanks, the only problem is if I put him quarantine the next biggest tank i have is a 20 gallon..so wouldn't that stress him out more to only cause more problems?Yes, it will stress him out even more, unfortunately.

How many fish do you have in the display? What inverts do you have?

Madreefer
07-15-2012, 04:48 PM
+1 on what ^^^ said.
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=k-gx01
I lost a tank full of fish several years ago to ich. I use garlic with every feeding and have never seen ick in my tank again. Maybe a coincidence but has worked good for my tank.

btymens
07-15-2012, 04:59 PM
+1 on what ^^^ said.
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=k-gx01
I lost a tank full of fish several years ago to ich. I use garlic with every feeding and have never seen ick in my tank again. Maybe a coincidence but has worked good for my tank.
i use garlic every second day

btymens
07-15-2012, 05:01 PM
Yes, it will stress him out even more, unfortunately.

How many fish do you have in the display? What inverts do you have?
not much 1 bta, a zoa, and a frogspawn. FOr fish 2 clowns, a yellow tang, blue tang, damsel and a cardinal

Midway
07-17-2012, 06:01 AM
Put some herbtana in. I did it in the past and my corals were fine. It got rid of it plus i run a UV light now and then and helps a lot too.

Megalodon
07-17-2012, 07:11 PM
Keep in mind, the only proven way to "cure" a tank of ich (that is, to eradicate every parasite) is to let the tank go fallow for up to 12 weeks, while separately treating the fish with hypo, tank transfer, or copper, the latter of which isn't recommended. A riskier move is having your fish fight the parasite off naturally with high immune response brought about by great water conditions and diet (including supplements such as garlic), and after a year of not adding anymore fish and not seeing any sign of the parasite.

btymens
07-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Put some herbtana in. I did it in the past and my corals were fine. It got rid of it plus i run a UV light now and then and helps a lot too.
yes i'm trying a product called ich attack made by kordon and its 100% natural/herbal and lots of uv. and within hours the "white spots" vanished and so it seems to be working. Now I would like to quarantine him etc and do the more aggressive treatment, but like I said the only other tank I have is a 10 gal and that would kill him, hence this is why I'm doing it this way

daplatapus
07-18-2012, 02:03 PM
There's a good read on ich in RC's fish disease and treatment section written by Snorvich. It goes thru the life cycle of this parasite and can give you some good understanding of how to deal with it based on sound logic.
When you no longer see any white spots on your fish may mean your treatment is working OR it could just be the stage where the parasite drops of the fish into the substrate where it multiplies. In a couple days or if/when your fish are stressed, you may see another outbreak. Typically these 2nd or 3rd outbreaks are much worse than the first as the parasites multiply.
Knowledge is definitely our friend here. The sooner we can recognize signs and symptoms, the better we're able to help our fine finned friends.
Garlic soaked foods do appear to really help the fish's immune systems and I feed mine 2-3X a week as well. I've never used the Kordon's ich attack but hopefully it'll help you out.