PDA

View Full Version : AJ's Tank - Que Pasa Dude

Tau2301
07-21-2002, 10:34 PM
Hi Alan, thought we could start a new thread about your tank.

The last I had heard is that you just received two clams from Saltwater Connection.

What has happen since?

AJ_77
07-22-2002, 02:50 AM
Hi Kim, very cool news indeed! Yes, Jayson did heed my plight and sent out a pair of Gold Maximas - F.O.C.! And for good measure he threw in 6 snails as well, some of which are these "American Stars." Also, his copy of Knop's Giant Clams for good measure. Talk about Full Service!
http://members.shaw.ca/reefs/snails.jpg
Sorry I don't have pics of the clams, but they look real fine. Open, responsive, cute as blazes. They're about 3 and 3.5 inches. I think Jayson took note of the comment from the original thread:
As an aside I highly doubt a LFS will 'loan' a gorg or clam to try the theory out.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">He got in touch with me pretty quickly, but I hesitated until Friday. How can such a good deal be legitimate? Only in Canada you say? I paid only shipping on 2 clams and 6 snails! If I like them, I can buy them later. (Huh? Is this guy my friend?)

I HAVE to tell the Acclimation Story. Friday night I am nervous - clam newbie - and I'm running to the computer in between adding Green Tank Water to the clams' bags, to get advice from the Chat People (Steve, DJ, Em, etc). But when I return to the bags, the water looks clear. Hmmm, add more green tank water, go back to the computer. Return to the bags, the water is clear again! The clams are feeding while still in the bags!?

At the end of one hours' acclimating and adding green water, the bags are both CLEAR. Pretty neat. They seem to be hungry, and there's lots to eat here.

I'm running Kent phosphate sponge as of tonight in Bob's Fluval (Tony tested phosphates at 5 times the legal limit), and then in a couple of days I'll blast it with Mitch's kick-ass UV unit, but not all at once. Had to take my Z. scopas over to EmilyB's Animal Care Hospital tonight because he wasn't improving. The ocellaris pair, however, don't seem to notice a thing. Good.

So I'm hopeful. The tank looks slightly better since a 20% change Friday, and hasn't reverted back to Total Green. My cleaner shrimp has reappeared. I can see the Green Polyps. Things will turn the corner I think.

I have many people here to thank, and one Hometown LFS in particular. (I was born in Winterpeg, you know...) It's pretty neat to get this kind of support through a common hobby. We're a strange and wonderful breed of people.

Alan smile.gif

[ 21 July 2002, 22:57: Message edited by: AJ_77 ]

EmilyB
07-22-2002, 03:17 AM
We would just like to officially welcome "Foster" to the Hadford Hotel. :D

BTW, Shadow has a message:

"You get to be top tang around here for one day. Maybe...."

You hang in there Alan... ;)

AJ_77
07-22-2002, 03:26 AM
"Foster" - LOL

smile.gif

canadawest
07-22-2002, 03:39 AM
That's great news Alan, and I'm thrilled to hear of Jayson's goodwill.

Those clams are probably in heaven right now with all that food available and them coupled with the simultaneous attack on the phosphates I bet your tank will be clear in no time. :cool:

Keep us posted. It's always great to hear a "happy ending" story, especially in light of the sad clam and fish stories we've been privy to recently!

DJ88
07-22-2002, 03:50 AM
*moderators hat off*

Alan,

I am actually speechless.

I am happy that Jayson has shown the concern he has for your system. But sending two clams to help with this has taken me aback. Stunned...

By the wording in your post with my quote about loaners it is for all intents and appearances looking like Jayson is wanting to prove me wrong for some bizzare reason. I hope I am wrong. but that is how it looks. When I first saw Kim's post I was hoping I was reading it wrong. I see now I wasn't.

Putting two animals into a tank full of an algea that may put those same animals at risk is, is. Well, to me it is irresponsible. Sorry. I have to say it.

Don't ge tme wrong I really want to see your tank cured of this malady. But throwing more critters into your tank is treating the sypmtoms not the cause. And putting animals at risk to test something out tho the intentions are great Jayson has shown. I still think it is wrong.

I am utterly amazed.

dumbfounded.

I really do hope your tank clears up. I really do..

If your phosphate levels are five times normal waht else are out of whack? If your scopas tang isn't looking well doesn't that tell you somethign is wrong. Something is causing that animal to stress out. Whether it is the water clarity r water quality I don't know as the only parameter you have posted is that the PO4 is five times the legal limit.

I am stressing out right now because my clam in the best possible environment is showing signs of something wrong even clam sellers can't help me with.

Maybe I am too concerned about giving every animal in my system the best possible chance at survival. But this bothers me.

Jayson,

I am sorry about this but I can't believe that someone in this hobby would do this. :confused: It is wonderful you want to help. I applaud that. Sending two difficult animals to a tank with suspect water quality???? That has me so, so.. I don't even know how to put it in words. Unreal.

Alan,

I really hope your tank comes around.. but this isn't the way to do it. That is what I think and feel.

Good luck.

*moderators hat on*

MitchM
07-22-2002, 11:19 AM
Great story! smile.gif

Jayson's definitely gone the extra mile! (even tho all may not agree ;) )

One thought I have....the water in the clam bags may not have the right water conditions for the algae (or phyto) to survive.

Mitch

AJ_77
07-22-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by DJ88:
*moderators hat off*

Alan,

I am actually speechless.

I am happy that Jayson has shown the concern he has for your system.

*moderators hat on*<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This would have been a nice post as-is, DJ. ;)

I'm sorry you're stressing out so bad; you have a lot more wrapped up in your tanks, obviously. As for Jayson, I initially resisted his kindness for reasons similar to yours, but he presented some very reasonable arguments backed up by the experience I think not many can match.

Cheers, Alan

[ 22 July 2002, 08:06: Message edited by: AJ_77 ]

AJ_77
07-22-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Carpentersreef:
Great story! smile.gif

Jayson's definitely gone the extra mile! (even tho all may not agree ;) )

One thought I have....the water in the clam bags may not have the right water conditions for the algae (or phyto) to survive.

Mitch<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I had a bucket of the stuff survive about a day-an-a-half on its own, Mitch. FWIW, and thanks.

smile.gif

Jayson
07-23-2002, 11:52 AM
Darren, I am not trying to get into a ****ing contest with you. You have your opinions and I have mine. I will leave it at that. As far as me trying to prove you wrong this is not the case. I have dealt with Alan in the past and am trying to help him out. I have loaned many things to my customers in the past. I have loaned out UV sterilizers,Ozone generaters,loaner pumps. I even lent Tony (Delphinius) a couple of diamond tip glass drill bits when he wanted to drill his tank. I am here to help my customers in the best way possible. If you have taken offence to me trying to help out a customer I am sorry. I am not here to offend, just to help. Thanks