PDA

View Full Version : ok lighting plans revised.

StirCrazy
10-04-2001, 06:24 PM
ok after going to ever lighing supply store and pet shop in Victoria I have decided to do my lights in 2 stages.. what I am planning is to use a workhorse 5 electronic balast to run 2 55watt PC (one atinic and one 10000K) I can do this for under 150.00 and right now that would allow me to spend more on a skimmer. What I figured is sence the main thing I will be growing is live rock and softs the I could get away with 3.3 watt/gal of CF lighting. later on when I recover from the inital start up cost images/smiles/icon_smile.gif I can add a second pair of 55 watt CF and another balast. my thinking here is that I can run two timers and have one set start up and run for 12 hours whare the second set will run for 6 or 8 hours. all togeather this set up will be under 300.00 for 6.6watts/gal or 220 watts total lighting.

If anyone sees a problem with what I am thinking let me know please, maby I should have all 4 bulbs on for 12 hours a day who knows..

Steve

Troy F
10-04-2001, 06:30 PM
Sounds like a good plan Steve. Will you have room in your hood for MH down the road?

StirCrazy
10-04-2001, 10:18 PM
Hmm I wasn't thinking of adding a MH later but now that you mention it I will have to make room just incase. thanks for pointing that out.

Steve

Aquattro
10-04-2001, 10:34 PM
Steve, also check prices at J&L. Victoria doesn't have the best for selection or pricing when it comes to anything aquarium related.

StirCrazy
10-04-2001, 10:48 PM
Hi Reef_Raf,
J&L wants 200 just for the balast and endcap to do 2 55 watt pc bulbs.. what do you expect they are a fish store.. I went to albrite lighting and got a comercial workhorse 5 electronic balast $47.90, end caps are a couple bucks each and I found the bulbs here in victoria at ... I think it was safari's for about the same price as J&L (maby a bit more but no shiping..) oh whar is a good place in Victoria to get a tank Drilled?
Steve

reefburnaby
10-05-2001, 12:07 AM
Hello,

You might want to consider a 2x 10000K configuration or a 96W 10000K. It is not necessary for actinic supplements when a 10000K is use, but it is mainly a personal preference. Be sure to have a good reflector -- makes lights 20% to 45% brighter.

You'll find that your current configuration will have enough light power for most corals -- except for the most demanding (like SPS and anemones). So...you want to add MH ?

- Victor.

[ 04 October 2001: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]

Aquattro
10-05-2001, 12:53 AM
Steve, most bulbs at Safari, at least the ones I've looked at, were double what J&L charged. If you can get what you need at Albrite, then that would probably be the best way to go. Another good place for "stuff" is the Hydroponics shop on Quadra.

Aquattro
10-05-2001, 12:56 AM
Oh, and drilling the tank...I went to a place called The Glasssmith. They're on Dupplin (or in there somewhere). Charged me $10 for a hole. Of course they cracked the tank, but it was a small (25g) tank. The thicker the glass, the better.

Reefmaster
10-07-2001, 01:44 AM
i've found albrite to be the best in vic for lighting. they do have or can get 65k and i think up to 10,000k pc bulbs, but check with them (i dealt with clint.) hd also has 65k bulbs very cheap sometimes. capital glass on yates can drill em, as can speedy on johnson i think.