PDA

View Full Version : LOSING A FISH SUCKS. IT FEELS EVEN WORSE WHEN YOU KILLED IT!

Lance
07-14-2012, 10:06 PM
It seems I accidently killed my CBB. I just feel terrible.

I have some large, very greedy fish and the CBB doesn't always get his share at feeding time. I drilled some 1/4" holes in a small plastic box with lid. Put some fresh clam meat, mussels etc in it, weigh it down with a small rock so it sinks. None of the other fish can get their noses in so the CBB gets it all to himself. I have been doing this a couple times a week for years and he was fat & healthy. Last night I got called away for an emergency and got home late. Unfortunately, I had forgotten to remove the plastic box. It seems he got his nose stuck in the box and then in panic got the box wedged in the rockwork. I found him this morning beat up badly and barely alive. I removed him to the QT but he died shortly after. I'm guessing while caught in the rock he was panicked and stressed. One or more of the other fish attacked him as there were several large bites on him. Bloody fish are just like chickens: Pick on the weak one! Possible culprits would be the Tuskfish, Sailfin or Angel: They are the most aggressive and happen to be the largest as well.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-14-2012, 10:16 PM
Dang, sorry to hear about the loss of your CBB. It's hard enough to get one to live for more than a few weeks/months, but to lose it like this must suck soooo bad.

Cal_stir
07-14-2012, 10:20 PM
We know all about that, sorry for your loss.:sad:

Aysha
07-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Ahw I'm sorry to read about your fish friend. We all get that fishy guilt at one time or another. You did your best for him esp when you consider what seahorse said.Most CBB only seem to live a few months at best in captivity.

FishyFishy!
07-15-2012, 12:22 AM
I imagine the other fish got jealous of the special treatment and went godfather styles on his arse.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I just lost an Emperor Angel and a Flame Angel. Both were my favorite fish in the tank. It truely sucks to lose fish.

fishoholic
07-15-2012, 01:13 AM
:cry: that sucks. I recently lost my maroon clown (old age) and my cowfish (got stuck in the rockwork stressed out and died) must say it's never easy loosing a fish.

foxfishfan
07-15-2012, 02:15 AM
Sorry to hear about your cbb. Those guys can look like they're healthy the night before and then you wake up and they're goners. Luckily, my present cbb has survived an amazing 8 months so they sometimes have staying power. However, I have killed 2 gobies whilst moving reorganizing the tank so yes I know the guilt of accidental death.

daniella3d
07-15-2012, 02:35 AM
It's really sad but you are in no way responsible. YOu did this with good intention and it's been working for years so you had no way to predict this outcome.

Sh** happens.

It seems I accidently killed my CBB. I just feel terrible.

I have some large, very greedy fish and the CBB doesn't always get his share at feeding time. I drilled some 1/4" holes in a small plastic box with lid. Put some fresh clam meat, mussels etc in it, weigh it down with a small rock so it sinks. None of the other fish can get their noses in so the CBB gets it all to himself. I have been doing this a couple times a week for years and he was fat & healthy. Last night I got called away for an emergency and got home late. Unfortunately, I had forgotten to remove the plastic box. It seems he got his nose stuck in the box and then in panic got the box wedged in the rockwork. I found him this morning beat up badly and barely alive. I removed him to the QT but he died shortly after. I'm guessing while caught in the rock he was panicked and stressed. One or more of the other fish attacked him as there were several large bites on him. Bloody fish are just like chickens: Pick on the weak one! Possible culprits would be the Tuskfish, Sailfin or Angel: They are the most aggressive and happen to be the largest as well.

lockrookie
07-15-2012, 03:08 AM
It's really sad but you are in no way responsible. YOu did this with good intention and it's been working for years so you had no way to predict this outcome.

Sh** happens.

+1

sorry for your loss

christyf5
07-15-2012, 04:22 AM
Aww, sorry to hear that Lance :neutral:

Skimmerking
07-15-2012, 04:38 AM
Sorry lance the ending this story sucks. I think I killed my 10 yr old kole tang but the temp raise and lower wiped out most of my tank.

mandyplo
07-15-2012, 05:16 AM
Everyone does this at one point or another in their life. Trying to help someone/something and you always mean well, but it seems things always try to work against you. Really sorry man.

Borderjumper
07-15-2012, 05:21 AM
Sorry Lance.. Don't beat your self up, you were just trying to help the fish.

Lance
07-15-2012, 03:48 PM
Thanks everyone. What really burns my a$$ is that I've had him for over 3 years and he probably was getting enough food without the "special" treatment.

reefgirl189
07-15-2012, 04:53 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your loss :(

Chaloupa
07-16-2012, 03:47 AM
Aw that sucks......he was a great fish!

Lance
07-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Aw that sucks......he was a great fish!

He was Sarah. Thanks.

Mrfish55
07-17-2012, 05:28 AM
Sorry to hear Lance, it was a beauty and my all time fav fish.

Delphinus
07-18-2012, 03:56 AM
Just read this; wow, sorry to hear it. Man the guilt! Fish are such pretty little jerks. Once he was stuck he was probably no different than any other food offered to the tank. :(