PDA

View Full Version : after cuke nuke/ pink cucumber

mohammadali
07-14-2012, 08:35 PM
Hello all
its been a week pink cucumber taken out of my tank is it okay if i put fish in my tank ?

reefwars
07-14-2012, 09:05 PM
How much water have you changed??

Your Tanks prob going to cycle again after the mass dieoff idk personally if it was me I wouldn't be adding fish to my tank one week after a total crash

Aysha
07-14-2012, 10:01 PM
6-10 weeks, let it sit let it cycle. Is usually the norm for a crash. not sure in this case.
weekly 25 percent water changes are a minimum.

mohammadali
07-15-2012, 01:30 AM
i changed almost the whole water
i just took my water to PIU they tested , and everything is good just the salinity is 1.021

Madreefer
07-15-2012, 04:17 AM
You have'nt got any test kits yet?

reefwars
07-15-2012, 04:23 AM
You have'nt got any test kits yet?

no kidding eh if you got enough for fish you got enough for test kits lol :tsk:

mohammadali
07-15-2012, 05:05 AM
haha test kit is $40 but a pair of clownfish i can get for $20

Coralgurl
07-15-2012, 05:16 AM
How much did you lose? I'd bet it's more than $40 worth of livestock, get the test kits. I don't like spending money on equipment, rather spend it on livestock, but losing corals and fish as a result ends up costing more in the long run. Think of the big picture, not short term otherwise you are going to have constant struggles and frustration when you can't quickly figure out what's going on in your tank.

reefwars
07-15-2012, 05:23 AM
any successfull reefer be it fish only or with corals will tell you its worth it to just save and buy the equipment up front, keeping livestock will be that much easier and its cheaper in the long run to pony up:)

mohammadali
07-15-2012, 08:30 AM
How much did you lose? I'd bet it's more than $40 worth of livestock, get the test kits. I don't like spending money on equipment, rather spend it on livestock, but losing corals and fish as a result ends up costing more in the long run. Think of the big picture, not short term otherwise you are going to have constant struggles and frustration when you can't quickly figure out what's going on in your tank.

My live rock is alive and coral was kinda bad but they r back to good health and electric scollpe died I'm looking to buy a pair ocellaris and I don't live that far from pet store they will test it for me so nice of em :)

scherzo
07-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Good to hear that your ammonia is down. It was at .5 the other day.

If IPU says that your water is good then I'm assuming they checked nitrate and nitrite and they must be down too.

With all of that death you were bound to have a small mini-cycle.

mohammadali
07-15-2012, 03:49 PM
thanks for coming over to test the water
and IPU said my nitrite is .20

reefwars
07-15-2012, 03:53 PM
IPU said my nitrite is .20

^^^ since when is nitrite good for fish???

i got a feeling your gonna lose alot of money in this hobby, good luck with your tank man:lol:

Madreefer
07-15-2012, 04:29 PM
You had an electric flame scallop as well?
I'm not trying to pick on you but you seem to be ignoring the advice people are giving you.
You need to stop looking at the money part of the problem but as to the livestock that are getting killed unnecessarily.
http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/lit-cma2/Conscientious+Marine+Aquarist+-+2nd+Edition+by+R.+Fenner+%28Hardcover%29.html
You should get this book. It's a good read.

Megalodon
07-15-2012, 04:42 PM
No, you need test kits and proper water parameters first.

If your limited budget precludes this then you're in the wrong hobby.

jorjef
07-15-2012, 04:48 PM
You guys are wasting your breath.

mandyplo
07-16-2012, 03:57 AM
Live and learn. You can lead a horse to water can't make it drink. This guy will figure out what's right/wrong or proper/improper the hard way. The expensive way.

mohammadali
07-16-2012, 06:03 AM
I will buy a test kit asap
i bought a Refractometer and a PH bottle test i will buy the rest asap

Is this copepod ?
http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s464/alexafg/P1040094.jpg

and here is the corals pic the frogspawn doing well having a small one on the side
http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s464/alexafg/P1040081.jpg

and the only reason WHY i dont read the books because i get headache from reading books cuz i got hit by a car lastyear i have some head injuries

but thank you all for helps and suggestion

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-16-2012, 06:33 AM
If a cuc nuked your tank, guess what? The test kits probably won't be able to test for the nasties it released. They will test for stuff like Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, pH, and some trace minerals maybe. But they won't have test kits for the toxic stuff that a cuc releases when it dies.

Also, Ammonia & Nitrites should always be at ZERO before any livestock goes in the tank. Some Nitrates & phosphates are "okay", but not Ammonia & Nitrites.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-16-2012, 07:36 AM
Your test kits are more for every day, long term use, IMO, as opposed to mainly to test for right now (post-cuc-nuke). Use them to check regularly over the next several months till your tank matures and recovers fully from the cuc-nuke.

bmo
07-16-2012, 10:02 AM
nice corals// to be honest everyone who starts saltwater jumps right in we all made the same mistakes even when we were told wait 2 months before adding anythign we all added something at 6 weeks ** i didint add for 4 months but i was lazy **, its ok this is how we learn/ personally i dont post much i normally just private message/ but guys you need to go easy on him// he is learning his corals are doing fine// he will prob need to do 4 water changes over the next two weeks of around 20% or so to balance out everything, but besides that its fine. its his money its really his choice and if the store is telling him its fine then well it does not matter what we think does it? when the pro's he went to told him already// ** just like when your car has problems you dont trust the people on some random forum you trust the pros and if they do their tests and say its ok then who are we to judge? yes the store wants to make money but still... but besides that nice start to your tank// iv had mine for around two and a half years now your moving much faster then me lol, i only have one reef lobster in mine but im a fan of the reef over the fish, and no fish = less water changes :D which makes me happy good luck with your pair of clowns,

reefwars
07-16-2012, 10:31 AM
my other post is a lamborghini:mrgreen:

scherzo
07-16-2012, 03:25 PM
If a cuc nuked your tank, guess what? The test kits probably won't be able to test for the nasties it released. They will test for stuff like Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, pH, and some trace minerals maybe. But they won't have test kits for the toxic stuff that a cuc releases when it dies.

Also, Ammonia & Nitrites should always be at ZERO before any livestock goes in the tank. Some Nitrates & phosphates are "okay", but not Ammonia & Nitrites.

I mentioned this when I came over to test the water. I only tested the water for ammonia because I knew that all of the death would likely cause an ammonia spike. Which it did (.5).

Get ammonia down, then nitrite and nitrate, and then you'll be good to go.

He was running carbon through a few HOBs that he added for extra flow so he probably sucked out most of the toxins now.

Keep running the carbon and maybe change it out a few times.

He also has an HOB skimmer which seemed to be skimming just fine and pulled out some gunk after the crash.

mohammadali
07-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Your test kits are more for every day, long term use, IMO, as opposed to mainly to test for right now (post-cuc-nuke). Use them to check regularly over the next several months till your tank matures and recovers fully from the cuc-nuke.

whats IMO ?
and how do i check the cuc nuke ?

mohammadali
07-17-2012, 01:15 PM
nice corals// to be honest everyone who starts saltwater jumps right in we all made the same mistakes even when we were told wait 2 months before adding anythign we all added something at 6 weeks ** i didint add for 4 months but i was lazy **, its ok this is how we learn/ personally i dont post much i normally just private message/ but guys you need to go easy on him// he is learning his corals are doing fine// he will prob need to do 4 water changes over the next two weeks of around 20% or so to balance out everything, but besides that its fine. its his money its really his choice and if the store is telling him its fine then well it does not matter what we think does it? when the pro's he went to told him already// ** just like when your car has problems you dont trust the people on some random forum you trust the pros and if they do their tests and say its ok then who are we to judge? yes the store wants to make money but still... but besides that nice start to your tank// iv had mine for around two and a half years now your moving much faster then me lol, i only have one reef lobster in mine but im a fan of the reef over the fish, and no fish = less water changes :D which makes me happy good luck with your pair of clowns,

yea i know didnt wait for 2 months i think i started putting livestock in my tank after 2 or 3weeks :D and everthing was fine untill once i got Ich cuz i bought a yellow tang during the boxingday .
and now my 2nd problem is cuc nuke that i have to deal with before my pair clown fish was doing great like they were fatest clownfish i have ever seen in my life and my goal is to breed clown fish in reef :) thanks for the wish .
i will do water change 2 times a week .

mohammadali
07-17-2012, 01:16 PM
my other post is a lamborghini:mrgreen:

hahahhahahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahahha
haahhahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahaahh a

i hope ur next post is a bugatti
thanks for the advise :D

scherzo
07-17-2012, 01:50 PM
whats IMO ?
and how do i check the cuc nuke ?

IMO means "In My Opinion"

You can't test for the "Cucumber toxic stuff". You just have to check for other things to see if it is safe to add more livestock.

Start with ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

Basically what happens if you start a new tank or have massive death is that your tank will produce ammonia (which is really bad for livestock - it would be the equivalent to trying to live in a room filled with smoke from a house fire - you might not die right away - but it will be painful to your lungs)

Then the ammonia will change to nitrite - then over time the nitrite will change to nitrate which is less harmful to the livestock.

That is why we test for those things.

All other tests are secondary - Calcium, Alk, Magnesium, Phosphates are for the health of corals but many can just tell something is up by looking at how happy they are.

Don't worry about pH so much. I know you have a pH test kit but it doesn't tell you too much.

mohammadali
07-17-2012, 03:46 PM
okay ill keep doing water change for the next 2 weeks then ill go test my water

Megalodon
07-17-2012, 07:17 PM
Don't bother getting a nitrite test kit if money is tight. Nitrite isn't as nearly as toxic in seawater as some people believe. For the nitrogen cycle, worry about ammonia, and because it accumulates, nitrate.

mohammadali
07-17-2012, 09:21 PM
im getting this 4 test kit pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate
this is a package test kit

canadianbudz604
07-17-2012, 09:57 PM
Thats the saltwater test kit from api? Its definatly better than nothing.

albert_dao
07-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Tough crowd in here!

Megalodon
07-18-2012, 08:39 PM
im getting this 4 test kit pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate
this is a package test kitYou absolutely need calcium and alkalinity test kits as well. Magnesium can be tested less frequently and therefore you can get away with having the fish store test it on occasion.

burgerchow
07-18-2012, 10:05 PM
don't bash me, but I haven't tested my water for over 3 years..

Aquattro
07-18-2012, 10:45 PM
don't bash me, but I haven't tested my water for over 3 years..

I feel less guilty now :)

burgerchow
07-18-2012, 11:34 PM
I feel less guilty now :)

haha, guilty by association.