PDA

View Full Version : serpent star question

bluesox68
07-14-2012, 02:41 AM
Ok so in the last 2 days my wife called me at work to tell me that my serpent star ate my good sized emerald crab and then today my medium cleaner shrimp:neutral: I put him in my refugium with 15-20 lbs of LR and cheato but will he eat my pods? I keep my system well fed and checked my water to make sure they didn't die then ate them. Just confused because I don't want my other shrimp to be next even though that one lives in the same cave as the star and it would seem they are buddies? Any thoughts?

Proteus
07-14-2012, 03:41 AM
what kind of brittle star. color?

bluesox68
07-14-2012, 04:02 AM
Looks like this and all rewiews seem mixed?
http://finaddictsaltwaterfish.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=153
Thanks

Proteus
07-14-2012, 04:30 AM
Yeah there's mixed reviews and I don't trust them. I had a black brittle that was good but I've read that some off color variety are killers. There good cuc but unless it's fed lots it will continoue to eat what it finds. You could. Give it silver sides and see how it goes

bluesox68
07-14-2012, 11:55 AM
yeah he's in my refuge now. Do you think it will mess with my pods?

Proteus
07-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Chances are pods are to small but I'm no expert. If you don't feed it it will
Hunt

arash53
07-14-2012, 03:39 PM
I have one exactly like yours, and I thought its a good guy ,my emerald crabs are disappearing in a month or so, I stop buying them because I though they die but if your wife saw the starfish eat the crab it must be him eating my emerald crabs!

MKLKT
07-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Yeah there's mixed reviews and I don't trust them. I had a black brittle that was good but I've read that some off color variety are killers. There good cuc but unless it's fed lots it will continoue to eat what it finds. You could. Give it silver sides and see how it goes

Pretty sure the banded ones are more aggressive, I've always been leery of adding one. I've got a black brittle and it hardly moves from its "house", had it for over 2 years with no issues.

daniella3d
07-15-2012, 02:38 AM
Get rid of it, as they grown larger they attack fish and are a pest.

I know someone who has 2 and they have started to eat small fish like clownfish. The 2 of them already ate a platinium clownfish, a black and white occ., and 2 ultra picasso. He can't even catch them because they are wicked fast and hide in the rockwork.

Leave that thing alone in your sump.

Ok so in the last 2 days my wife called me at work to tell me that my serpent star ate my good sized emerald crab and then today my medium cleaner shrimp:neutral: I put him in my refugium with 15-20 lbs of LR and cheato but will he eat my pods? I keep my system well fed and checked my water to make sure they didn't die then ate them. Just confused because I don't want my other shrimp to be next even though that one lives in the same cave as the star and it would seem they are buddies? Any thoughts?

bluesox68
07-15-2012, 02:51 AM
Thanks for all the info! It's in the sump as we speak :)