PDA

View Full Version : The lastest on cleaner wrasse!

naesco
07-13-2012, 11:19 PM
And why you should not buy them and ask your LFS not to carry them anymore.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/flashback-friday-just-how-important-are-cleaner-wrasses-to-reef-ecosystems

Rarely do they survive. Often bought by unsuspecting newbies who were told they would get rid of ich or prevent it's appearance

MarkoD
07-13-2012, 11:29 PM
wow crazy tang in that picture

naesco
07-13-2012, 11:38 PM
wow crazy tang in that picture,

Well, did you spot it? When you do do not tell anyone because I want everyone to read this short artlicle.

Coralgurl
07-13-2012, 11:44 PM
Thanks for sharing! Yup, found it! Very cool!

monocus
07-14-2012, 12:04 AM
which is why i'm trying to breed neon gobies

AquaticFinatic
07-14-2012, 03:07 AM
Wow good read. Thx

daniella3d
07-14-2012, 03:20 AM
just wondering how they could prevent cleaner wrasse from entering certain areas for 8 + years..does not sound possible, thus the study sound a bit unrealistic from A to Z.

I have read that before but it did not convince me. I do have a cleaner wrasse, not to clean my fish because they have no parasites, I have it because I like them. he's doing great and he's part of the community just like the other fish in my tank.

If removing cleaner wrasse make the reef deprived of herbivores, then taking herbivores for the aquarium trade should be as bad as taking any cleaner wrasse.

paddyob
07-14-2012, 03:27 AM
Come on folks.

Your LFS already knows. They bring in many unsuitable species on a regular basis. Every store brings something they know most likely won't live.

But someone said to me once... "if I don't carry it, they will buy it somewhere else. "

It's business.

I personally don't feel talking to the LFS matters.

It's better to educate the masses. Once the people realize , they stop buying on their own, then LFS stops buying.

Great article. Tell your LFS! :whoo:

I am with you on this one naesco. Thanks for posting.

paddyob
07-14-2012, 03:29 AM

Well, did you spot it? When you do do not tell anyone because I want everyone to read this short artlicle.

Spot what?

paddyob
07-14-2012, 03:32 AM
which is why i'm trying to breed neon gobies

I saw my neon on my tang yesterday. He now hangs close to
My cleaner shrimp.

Does his job apparently!

Great fish. Good luck.

lee9
07-14-2012, 03:38 AM
The link to the actual research article is at the bottom of the page where it says reference in case you didn't see it. I missed it the first time I read it. It explains the methods they used.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0021201

just wondering how they could prevent cleaner wrasse from entering certain areas for 8 + years..does not sound possible, thus the study sound a bit unrealistic from A to Z.

I have read that before but it did not convince me. I do have a cleaner wrasse, not to clean my fish because they have no parasites, I have it because I like them. he's doing great and he's part of the community just like the other fish in my tank.

If removing cleaner wrasse make the reef deprived of herbivores, then taking herbivores for the aquarium trade should be as bad as taking any cleaner wrasse.

naesco
07-14-2012, 04:48 AM
Spot what?

The second cleaner wrasse in the picture of the tang shown in the link on the first post.

Lee9 , thanks for posting the link for the study for Danielle to review.

Delphinus
07-14-2012, 05:55 AM
Wow very informative and interesting. Thanks for the share. .. It's a conclusion I think it's easy to intuitively believe, but good to have some empirical data ..

MarkoD
07-14-2012, 08:08 AM
But if cleaner wrasses are so important in the wild, wouldn't that make them valuable in the reef tank( minus the fact that they nip at clams)

I had one for 8 months. Ate every kind of frozen food, cleaned every fish. Had to get rid of it because of the clams.

Tried replacing with neon gobies. Both of them dead within a week

paddyob
07-14-2012, 01:17 PM
The second cleaner wrasse in the picture of the tang shown in the link on the first post.

Lee9 , thanks for posting the link for the study for Danielle to review.

Oh. Saw that. Thought there was something else.

paddyob
07-14-2012, 01:20 PM
But if cleaner wrasses are so important in the wild, wouldn't that make them valuable in the reef tank( minus the fact that they nip at clams)

I had one for 8 months. Ate every kind of frozen food, cleaned every fish. Had to get rid of it because of the clams.

Tried replacing with neon gobies. Both of them dead within a week

Neons are tough. Mine will even sit in my hand and clean me!

We experience less disease in our tanks than the wild.. More contained anyhow. I don't see a cleaner wrasse being the only sound choice.

Sorry about your neons. Try again.