PDA

View Full Version : !!!!! Wanted tank help Edmonton.

Aysha
07-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Well, the heat has done a number on my tank.
It was fine the day before yesterday. Yesterday I noticed my corals were all closed the leathers were going limp and white.
I looked at the temprature almost 32 degrees thats a 6 degree spike in 12 hours. I'm guessing when my house became heat soaked the temps started to climb!

I've been in contact with the LFS and you guys on how to cool it down.
Icewater bottles in the sump, fan over an open top the lights and heater are OFF and unplugged.

I don't know how much damage has been done as I'm new to reef keeping. I was hoping one of you guys could come and help me find out. I know that I lost a couple inverts and I'm not sure of the fate of most corals.

Someone who knows corals and tank maintenance better than I would be a huge help right now,

I can't get an accurate salinity reading due to the temperatures. I'm not sure what else to test for. I have the reef test kit and the master test kit as well.
but I am out of my element.

Id love it if someone could come by tonight and help me with my tank.
I live in the londonderry area. I can supply beer.

the tank is a 29 gallon biocube.

780-919-6228

if nothing else you can show me how to get the dead corals off my rocks. lol

THANKS!
~Aysha

Aysha
07-14-2012, 03:08 AM
got it! THANKS WAYNE!!!!!!!

good news is fish and remaining inverts are fine
bad news is I get to go coral shopping.

Nano
07-14-2012, 03:16 AM
bad news is I get to go coral shopping.

Thats not bad news! thats my favorite thing to do ;) but sorry to hear that you lost some stuff :P

maybe try reversing you light cycle in the summer (lights off in the day, on at night) to help keep it cool as well, I know my heater hasnt turned on once! still works, just not needed from the heat :P

Aysha
07-14-2012, 06:21 AM
the coral I lost was palm sized so It will leave a sizeable chunk in my wallet to replace.

the shrimp and snails...welll...shucks.

Wayne
07-15-2012, 04:00 AM
Hope everything is still ok. Is the frogspawn, candy cane and mushrooms ok? All in all if it was just the two leathers (as far as coral goes) then your lucky. :)

Aysha
07-15-2012, 04:03 AM
mmmm well,
it's all toast I have to start over.
I'll leave it a few days to be sure. Sucks cause I just spent 75.00 on new (now dead) stock.
all I can say is thank the spaghetti monster I didn't buy the scoli I was eyeing up.

Wayne
07-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Sorry you should not have added anything till your tank was stabilized again... Call me if you can before 12:30

Wayne
07-15-2012, 04:48 PM
EDIT: she did not add new livestock since the heat, the live stock she refered to was from a few weeks ago :)