PDA

View Full Version : SA bulb review (part 2, PAR comparisons)

StirCrazy
04-01-2004, 03:03 AM
well after a while I final got the initial PAR testing set done.

this test was conducted using the identical set up and the only thing that was changed was the bulb its self, and then the meter was positioned to the optimal position under the bulb but remained the exact same distance under the bulbs.

the set up for this test was a sensor mounted to an acrylic frame in my tank. the top of the sensor was 4" under the water and the distance from the bottom of the bulb to the water surface was 7". this made a total distance of 11" from bulb bottom to sensor top. also it should be mentioned that the ballast is an Advance M80 HQI ballast.

http://members.shaw.ca/steve-sherri/testholder.jpg

anyways back to the data. I tested a 2 year old AB (as a reference. wish I had a new one but I am going to order some in the fall) and the sun aquatics 10K, 14K, and 20K (I tested two of each bulb and took the average value as they were all very close)

OK

10K 250 watt AB (2 years old) 767.9 PAR

10K 250 watt SA (~300 hours) 895.9 PAR

14K 250 watt SA (~600 hours) 426.4 PAR

20K 250 watt SA (~300 hours) 437.2 PAR

I did a few other thing also that I thought people might be interested in. when i first tested the 14K bulb I forgot about the salt spray that had accumulated over the last two weeks. this reduced its out put from 426.4 to 327.7 so keep those bulbs clean :mrgreen:

I also put a chunk of 3/16 glass between the bulb and the sensor to see how much glass reduced the light and it went from 426.4 to 421.3
the last thing I did was to clean the algae off my tank sides to increase the turbidity and see how that affected it. the light decreased from 426.4 to 385.5 (my glass was pretty dirty :mrgreen:

anyways one thing that struck me funny and I guess some of you are probably wondering about is how close together the 14K and 20K bulbs are to each other. I was very surprised as i expected the 14K to be about midpoint between the 10K and 20K bulbs, where in fact the 20K is actually higher than the 14K. If you are trying to chose between these bulbs you can base your decision on looks as the PAR values are very close.

The SA 10K was the impressive result. it posted the highest number (even if it was against a AB bulb that was used for 2 years) the only thing I do not like about this bulb is the slight green hue that I get on my sand bed from it. other people have reported it as being to yellow to them and others have said it is nice. The main factor left on this bulb to be determined is the life of the bulb and how it reacts over that life.
for this question i will be switching back to the 10K bulbs on the weekend and i will start a monthly test of the PAR output and I will take a monthly picture using a set setting on my camera so i can see if there is any visual change in the bulb.

Steve

Quinn
04-01-2004, 03:36 AM
So how do you feel about the SA 10,000k versus Ushio?

LostMind
04-01-2004, 03:39 AM
INteresting. Thanks.

Wish I was on the island, I'd bring in all my ballasts and bulbs for you to test :)

I have a dual 175w ballast with two hamilton? bulbs, dual 250w ballast with 10k ushios, 2 x 400w ballast from venkiw with two 400w 10k SA bulbs. Also have a dual 400w ballast (from JL) with two 400w 10k ushios.

I need more lighting :)

StirCrazy
04-01-2004, 04:06 AM
So how do you feel about the SA 10,000k versus Ushio?

I don't know what to say teevee, I was hoping some one on the Island would have had a ushio for me to run for a hour and test... no one has came forward yet though and I have only owned AB's befor the SA's myself.

the other problem with this question is Ushio has a established trach record in that we know they will go at least a year and still be good. at this time we can only guess about the longevity of the SA bulbs.

Steve

StirCrazy
04-01-2004, 04:13 AM
INteresting. Thanks.

Wish I was on the island, I'd bring in all my ballasts and bulbs for you to test :)

I have a dual 175w ballast with two hamilton? bulbs, dual 250w ballast with 10k ushios, 2 x 400w ballast from venkiw with two 400w 10k SA bulbs. Also have a dual 400w ballast (from JL) with two 400w 10k ushios.

I need more lighting :)

I am planning on setting up a testing station in the garage where I can do multiple ballast/bulb combanations... this of course will take some time as I am most likely going to have to buy the different ballasts and bulbs (hopefully I can find used ballasts and such for cheep)

Steve

robbyville
04-01-2004, 06:07 PM
Thanks again Steve,

I hope that you can get some comparison bulbs to continue with. I will try to accelerate my decision on new bulbs so that at the very least I might have an 8 month old venture for you to try.

In regards to longevity, you are right of course, the Ushio's do have a proven track record. I made a similar decision when I purchased the ventures in that for the price even if they only lasted half as long as the ushio's it would still have been a great deal.

For those considering the SA bulbs, I would suggest the same. If you like the color and par levels, and you trust that in a pinch the vendor will treat you right (Which it seems like Venki and Kyle have been doing), then go for it!

Rob

StirCrazy
03-30-2005, 10:21 PM
well 1 year later to the day (give or take 1 or 2) I have done a second test on the SA250 watt 10K bulbs to see how they stack up after 1 year of running.

the results show that 1 year of running on an HQI ballast shows almost no difference in color and a drop of only 13% in PAR

I believe the original PAR numbers at the beginning of this post were 895.9 and today I got a number of 784.1. I believe this is the first long term results on the SA bulbs, unfortunately I didn't have the capability to run the 14 and 20K bulbs so I had to get rid of them.

over all I will say I am impressed with the performance of the SA10K 250 watt bulb over the year and will be installing a new set of SA 10K's with no regrets.

Steve

ree-fready
03-31-2005, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the follow up Steve. If there is an xm over there it would be nice to see the results from them as well.