PDA

View Full Version : Finger leather dying why?

Aysha
07-13-2012, 03:42 AM
I noticed today that the kenya tree was on it's way out too .
Basically the finger leather kinda closed up about 3 weeks ago.It'd get green patches on it I'd think it was messed up and then the tenticles would come out.

As of today it's whitish and limp (NEVER a good sign)
Temps are about 4 degrees too high because of it being hot outside. (30) I've been adding an icecube too the sump every few hours.
I also need to change my lights! Would old lighting cause it to die?
I'm using a coralife actinic and a coralife 36watt 10000 k.
Biocube.

the kenya tree is all flopped over too! everything else is fine.

Cal_stir
07-13-2012, 01:24 PM
leathers do that, they molt their skin once in a while, they look dead while they are doing it, the high temp may have triggered it.

freeze water bottles and place them in sump to chill it, i believe it's the "Marco Chillo" method.

MKLKT
07-13-2012, 01:40 PM
The Kenya in my tank and one of the toadstools is closed up, it's most certainly because of the temperature increase. Leathers do naturally close up and shed sometimes as well, but that's probably not the reason in this case. (I've had leathers close up for weeks and eventually come back better than before.)

Aysha
07-13-2012, 07:55 PM
it's amazing how much damage 12 hours of heat will do.
the leathers are all kinds of messed up and I lost my poor skunk cleaner.
Damage control is nasty but at least we caught it.
the frogspawn and gsp are all closed up too.

did a full paramater test and it's fine. I change my water weekly but I dont want to do it if everything is ****ed off at me.

I can't get an accurate salinity because of the temps.
It keeps reading low.

I have the lights off the top opened and the heater unplugged.
Sitting at 29. the waterbottle is a great idea hope it does the trick.

the freshwater tanks got super heated too!
8 gallon ebi and the 30gallon cube at least nothing in there is as fragile.

I'll have an edmonton based reefer come take a look tonight. I've only had this guy running for 7 months , More experience is good.

Aysha
07-15-2012, 04:09 AM
So it was the heat looks like the corals all bit it. my local fish store is gonna leeerrrvve me