PDA

View Full Version : Protein Skimmer for 20L

mrhasan
07-12-2012, 07:37 AM
Hello Everyone,

I am actually looking for a HOB type protein skimmer for a 20L. I know I can get around without a skimmer by weekly WC. But I want to delay the water change to maybe two or three week (being lazy :$). I was hoping to get a RIO nano skimmer (saw mixed review) and I know I will be getting what I pay for but I just want to know whether it will serve my purpose (like shifting weekly WC to bi-weekly or more). Or is there any other skimmer that might be better than this and will not break my pocket (reef octopus is just too expensive for me unless I get a good deal on a 2nd hand one).

Looking forward to some great suggestions :D

canadianbudz604
07-25-2012, 03:23 AM
In a 10g the best thing to do is the weekly water changes. Taking out 2 gallons a week is nothing. takes me 5 mins to make the water 2 nights before, and 5 mins to change it. Havent had a single thing die in my tank yet. the one time i had problems with my frogspawn, it was because I skipped a water change. For what its worth, it would probably take you just a long to clean out the skimmer every week.

mrhasan
07-25-2012, 05:03 AM
I will be away for a month and since I won't be able to do the water change, and asking my room mate to change water along with top-off and feeding would be too much to ask for. Hence got the protein skimmer :D

It's been over a month and my basic parameters (amo, nitri, nitra) are all at 0. Since I knew that adding a better protein skimmer wouldn't help, so just bought the rio HOB and its working just fine :D

Reef Supplies
08-08-2012, 10:39 PM
Will be hard to get a quality skimmer for that size that wont over-skim. All those ultra mini skimmers are just not worth it IMO.

Why not just add a small reactor and throw some carbon in it?

Ray