PDA

View Full Version : I'm new here, any advice?

NightShadeFairy
07-12-2012, 05:43 AM
Hi there everyone! I am new to this forum, the fellow who has been helping me out at J&L's recommended it to me. I currently have a 55g, but am not yet very knowledgable about reef tanks, pretty much all I have in it are several different types of mushrooms.
I just purchased a 120g that I plan to transfer the contents of the 55g to.
The prob is that the 120g was off Craigslist, and is acrylic, in pretty good condition, but does have a few good scratches in the front. I have head this can be buffed out, how would I accomplish this? I don't have any men to help me with this ( I say this b/c men are often better at using tools etc)
So I need to do this myself, and any advise would be very much appreciated.
I could also use advice on what to use to clean it after it has been buffed.
I have been just blindly running my tank (I have kept aquariums all my life, but only been doing salt the last 2 years)
I have been keeping things simple, but am really anxious to learn more so that I can create a reef tank to be proud of! I am planning on starting the transfer to the new tank tomorrow.. I just picked up new sand today.
I would love to have any tips or advice sent my way! Thanks so much!

NightShadeFairy

gregzz4
07-12-2012, 05:50 AM
Welcome to Canreef :lol:

I wish you well with the acrylic polishing
I've read enough about it online that I wouldn't want to do it, and I've not read enough to help you :razz:

It's doable, and I'm sure someone here will help you out

Good luck with the new tank :wink:

NightShadeFairy
07-12-2012, 05:59 AM
Thanks for the welcome! Yikes! That doesn't sound good.. It must be difficult judging by your reply.. I regret the tank is acrylic.. But it was a good deal.. I guess this is why.
Hopefully someone here will have some suggestions! :)

NightShadeFairy

gregzz4
07-12-2012, 06:04 AM
Whoa, I never said it's difficult ...
I only said, from what I've read, I wouldn't want to do it :wink:

NightShadeFairy
07-12-2012, 06:17 AM
Lol! Whoops! Ok.. I jumped the gun.. I am a little bit intimidated by the prospect of this new tank, as well as excited.. So I guess I assumed it must be difficult when you said from what you read you wouldn't want to do it! Lol
I will remain cautiously optimistic? Lol

gregzz4
07-12-2012, 06:26 AM
I'd suggest you start a new post about "buffing acrylic scratches" ...
You may get some better responses as your original post is quite widespread :smile:

And let others know you have started a new thread so they don't carry on here if you're not going to keep it up to date :wink:

NightShadeFairy
07-12-2012, 06:34 AM
Lol! Ok, thanks.. I am not so great at this yet (obviously! Lol) so do I put in this thread that I started a new thread? I am sorry if that sounds dumb.. I have never been a member of a forum before, just learning how it works :)

NightShadeFairy

NightShadeFairy
07-12-2012, 06:36 AM
Hello! I am starting a new thread regarding buffing out scratches in acrylic tanks, thanks! :)

NightShadeFairy

gregzz4
07-12-2012, 06:40 AM
It's only my suggestion ... you can do whatever you like here, as long as you play by the rules :mrgreen:

If you'd like some direct help about your scratches, without others having to read that you're new, and are upgrading a tank, you could start a new post with something like ...

And post it in, say, Reef, or at least that's where I'd put it

Need advice with acrylic scratches

Hi, I'm new here and need some help with some acrylic scratches .........
and so on :smile:

Like I said, being as direct as possible with your post is the best way to get the attention you need

gregzz4
07-12-2012, 06:41 AM
Hello! I am starting a new thread regarding buffing out scratches in acrylic tanks, thanks! :)

NightShadeFairy
That will do it :wink: :lol:

NightShadeFairy
07-12-2012, 06:43 AM
Oh but did I post it in the wrong spot? Lol geez! I feel annoying.. I am sorry if that's so.. I will get better as I learn my way around! Thanks very much for your help! :)

NightShadeFairy

gregzz4
07-12-2012, 06:46 AM
Nothing wrong with where you posted it
It could easily fit into Reef, DIY, Tips and Tricks ...

You'll get the hang of the site

Sit back, read lots, get to know us all and, most of all ...

Have fun :mrgreen:

NightShadeFairy
07-12-2012, 06:51 AM
Thanks very much gregzz4
:)

NightShadeFairy

gregzz4
07-12-2012, 06:54 AM
:thumb:
And greg works just fine, much easier to type :lol:

NightShadeFairy
07-12-2012, 06:58 AM
Lol Greg it is :) I am off to try to get some sleep, it was a pleasure chatting with you! :) thanks again for the help :)

NightShadeFairy

SteveConn
07-12-2012, 07:01 AM
Welcome aboard

Suggestions: Ask for a raise then get a second job, Cut up your credit card before it gets too late!

LOL

OK really... research everything you put into your tank..preferably before you buy
Take a deep breath!
Ask LOTS of questions and LURK and search this site.. There is SOOO much useful info here and lots of people who will help. You will be amazed at how much you learn over time if you put effort and care into this incredible hobby.

gregzz4
07-12-2012, 07:09 AM
Ask for a raise then get a second job, Cut up your credit card before it gets too late!

LOL

:smile: Too late for me
Hopefully someone else reads this before it's too late

NightShadeFairy
07-12-2012, 02:20 PM
LOL! Well.. I am my boss.. so we shall see how the request for the raise goes ;) I certainly will 'lurk' around here often, I have had fish all my life but marine is so much more.. everything! Exspensive, complicated, involved, intertesting, rewarding!!!
I look forward to having peers to discuss my tank with,( something I have never had) as well as building my new tank into something amazing, and being able to keep a record of it here, I just need to learn how to do everything!! I have not been a member on a forum before, I am not much of a computer person, but I will learn eventually! :)

muck
07-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Welcome to Canreef NSF!!

Where do you work in Chilliwack? Wife is originally from there so we do get out there quite often.. :biggrin:

NightShadeFairy
07-12-2012, 11:11 PM
I have a small hair studio down town Chilliwack :) do you come to see family?

NightShadeFairy

Coralgurl
07-13-2012, 01:08 AM
Welcome to Canreef! Let's see some pics of your set up, we like pics...:lol:

NightShadeFairy
07-13-2012, 06:18 AM
Thanks for the welcome! I will post some pics as soon as I figure out how.. I am beginning to think I am a bit limited in my capabilities with my iPhone.. I seem unable to change my handle being put at the bottom as my signature as well.
I will get there!!

NightShadeFairy

muck
07-13-2012, 05:30 PM
I have a small hair studio down town Chilliwack :) do you come to see family?

NightShadeFairy

Yes. My wife's parents still live there.

Downtown...You must be off Young road then?

NightShadeFairy
07-14-2012, 08:04 AM
Actually I'm off Main St. :)

NightShadeFairy
07-18-2012, 01:07 AM
So, I finally did the big transfer.. Moved the contents of the 55g into the 120g. What a massive undertaking! But I am relieved that it's finally done. It's been 4 days and the only fatality was my cardinal, who sadly swam right into my anemone as soon as everyone was released into the new tank.
I am planning in learning more about coral ect. so I will be posting for advise every so often.
I am wondering if anyone can tell me what the best way to direct my power heads to create good flow?
I will post more pics as soon as I am finished this post to see if the one pic I put up worked. :)

NightShadeFairy
07-18-2012, 01:11 AM
Yay! It worked! I will post the old tank and new tank. 974097419742974397449745974697479748

NightShadeFairy
07-18-2012, 01:12 AM
My next step is to upgrade my lights, so that I can begin putting corals in.